Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:59 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hot pumpkin

Towing a 1995 Jeep Wrangle, the front differential gets very hot (can touch it but cant keep hand there) rear is warm, is this normal. I tow with transfer case in neutral, always check that wheels spin free and test prior to hook up that it is neutral. I've tried the gear shifter in 5th and neutral a differential still gets hot. Jeep runs fine when we get to our location and have had not mechanical issues. Will be going on long summer trip just looking for input or suggestions. And yes I check oil and did just change it ,Jeep is 4 banger with stock gears.

Thanks Bldhnd

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2015, 06:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Can you have somebody watch the front drive shaft as you slowly drag the Jeep? Or even push it by hand with the transfer case in neutral? See if that front drive shaft is turning?

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:10 PM   #3

I have no idea but I do tow a 1995 wrangler and would like to know how you found that out or what tipped you to the hot differential. I haven't thought about checking that out but will if need be but the indicators would be nice to know.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:34 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was on my first trip towing, stopped for gas and was checking the Jeep just decided to feel the differential out of curiosity.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:00 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
On the front axle there is a slip joint that is vacuum operated. (It's on the pass. side). In normal driving the front axle has no power going to it, but still turns. Even with no power to it if this does not release the front axle is "locked up". It's a very common problem as the Jeep gets a little older the vacuum connection leaks. Stop by a dealer or any off road shop and they can verify if this is your problem. There are after market cable operated devices to correct this, IIRC around $150. easy to install if you are a little handy with tools.
RVNewbie55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:37 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
On the front axle there is a slip joint that is vacuum operated. (It's on the pass. side). In normal driving the front axle has no power going to it, but still turns. Even with no power to it if this does not release the front axle is "locked up". It's a very common problem as the Jeep gets a little older the vacuum connection leaks. Stop by a dealer or any off road shop and they can verify if this is your problem. There are after market cable operated devices to correct this, IIRC around $150. easy to install if you are a little handy with tools.
thanks RVNewbie55 I have the cable lock out installed, vacuum system quit about a year ago. Does the lock out have to be engaged when towing? I would think not, would that not lock the differential in place
bldhnd617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:51 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
The fact that the driveshaft is turning or not, should make no difference as the rear driveshaft will be turning too. First thought is the possibility that the pinion shaft bearing is starting to go. Have it checked for excessive play at the pinion.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:00 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldhnd617 View Post
thanks RVNewbie55 I have the cable lock out installed, vacuum system quit about a year ago. Does the lock out have to be engaged when towing? I would think not, would that not lock the differential in place
You would want it unlocked when towing. The next poster has a good point. Something inside might be getting ready to let loose. It's easy enough to drop the front diff cover and check for bits and pcs. And a thorough cleaning while you are in there.
RVNewbie55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:10 AM   #9

Thinking out loud here,

If one axle is unlocked, the spider gears are spinning the opposite, disconnected axle, backwards. That could cause heat.
But if that's the case, the front diff. should get hot, in normal, 2x4 use.

If you leave both axles locked, like the rear axle, the drive shaft would turn. The spider gears, would only turn, when going around turns.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:18 AM   #10

I have a 2002 Jeep Wrangler "TJ" which is the model right after yours. Unless you had installed aftermarket lock-out hubs on your Jeep, the differential will be turning whenever the Jeep is moving.
If the differential was so hot that you could not hold your hand on it that would be reason for concern (over 200 degrees F).. Otherwise, you're probably fine.

BTW - you should always check and fill the differential oil while the vehicle has the weight on the wheels in order to minimize potential sag and off-level attitude of the differential. This is more of an issue for the front coil spring models like mine (97 and later) but still a good practice.