Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #15

All good points. If SMI is out at Quartzsite this year, I think I'll have a talk with them. Always pays to know a bit more about the inner workings of a system.

Bob, how does your dash light work? On one toad, mine worked off the toad brake light switch, so when the toad brake pedal moved enough to activate the toad brake lights, my dash light came on. In later toads like the Silverado, the brake light switch works off a small computer so SMI recommended putting a pressure switch in the air line going to the brake activation cylinder. Then the light on the dash comes on when sufficient air pressure is being sent to the brake activating cylinder. This is a NAPA switch and is the same one used on some trucks to activate all their brake lights in their air brake system.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #16

The 1/4" slack I mentioned earlier is part of SMI' directions....that's why I mentioned it. Contrary to what one poster mentioned, if you shorten out the 1/4 inch deflection (slack), you hasten the moment when your proportional braking begins.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
I agree. Cable slack adjustment is critical. I have put 74000 miles on the SMI AF1 without any problems on the toad or coach side.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:06 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
All good points. If SMI is out at Quartzsite this year, I think I'll have a talk with them. Always pays to know a bit more about the inner workings of a system.

Bob, how does your dash light work? On one toad, mine worked off the toad brake light switch, so when the toad brake pedal moved enough to activate the toad brake lights, my dash light came on. In later toads like the Silverado, the brake light switch works off a small computer so SMI recommended putting a pressure switch in the air line going to the brake activation cylinder. Then the light on the dash comes on when sufficient air pressure is being sent to the brake activating cylinder. This is a NAPA switch and is the same one used on some trucks to activate all their brake lights in their air brake system.
My dash light is wired to the cold side of the toad brake pedal and is illuminated whenever the toad pedal is activated.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:41 PM   #19

The reason there is no calibration is simple you don't need it if installed correctly. All of the air systems I have installed work pretty much the same the are driven by a service valve or relay valve which is pretty much the same thing. When you step on the brake pedal you send air pressure to the the valve the valves are rated by crack pressure with them being lighter from the rear to the front. A typical setup would have a 3 on the toad a 5 on the rear axle and a 6 or 7 on the steer axle. This is part of the brake timing so when you step on the pedal and you send 3 psi out the toad would begin braking slightly as you increase to 5 psi the rear axle begins to brake and as you increase pressure the front begins to brake. The actual air going to the brakes is from the output of the service or relay valve and is proportional to the input braking pressure. The rest of the system is designed by the size of the diaphragm used to apply braking force to the actual brakes. On a typical rear axle you have 30in chambers and usually 20in chambers on the steer this is in sqin so a 30in chamber with 5 psi is putting 150lbs of force on the Slack adjuster to apply the brakes. The same 5psi on the steer will not open the valve at all so no braking is applied to them at that pressure. In the toad the amount of brake force will depend on the size of the cylinder or diaphragm used in the system.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post

The one issue I could see by using air psi to let you know the toad brakes were applied is it would not tell you if the pedal on the toad was stuck causing you to burn up your toad brakes. On many of the newer cars and trucks we add a second brake switch and wire it up so that way we don't touch the factory wiring at all and avoid issues with factory warranty and problems down the road from tapping into their system.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:33 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I finished my install yesterday. The TOAD brake pedal does move different amounts (according to my wife who was watching the pedal).
But I still don't know if the amount of brake pressure on the TOAD is correct.
Yes, the indicator light comes on...but if the pressure is too much, the Toad will be trying to stop the motorhome.

Guess I need to disconnect the air line and drive so that I can tell the difference with/without TOAD brakes.

Dan
Old 09-24-2014, 02:13 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Concerning the amount of slack to be left in the cable, this is a direct quote from SMI's manual:

Tighten but do not over tighten leaving approximately ”- ” of slack in the cable. The amount of slack has no effect on the amount of pressure or proportionality. It only reduces the available stroke of the cylinder. Excessive slack will result in premature wear of the cylinder and cable.
sfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:05 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Adding a second brake switch on some vehicles can be very difficult or dangerous, because it can cause dragging brakes on the toad. The air pressure switch is a much cleaner solution. There is nothing in the AF1 cylinder setup which can cause sticking pedal without air pressure to the cylinder.
Many Jeep and Doge toads will require secondary means for brake indication. The OEM brake switch will have power for only 10 minutes after shutdown.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake