Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2017, 06:05 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
My Monaco Windsor has a full-length monogrammed mud flap that sits about 6-8 inches above the road when at ride-height. Never had any problems with debris when towing.

I sat in a RV Park in Fairbanks Alaska for two months while visiting my son back in 2015. I watched a variety of coaches arrive and leave over the 2 months and observed a number of them dragging the mud flap on the gravel while driving past me. YES, those are the coaches that should remove them immediately as they are causing more problems than preventing them.

Hard to imagine where those design engineers were educated who approved the mud flap to be installed that low. They should take up a different career.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2017, 06:43 AM   #16

We pull an enclosed trailer that is painted to match the MH. Our son has a similar setup. After a trip two years ago, I noticed small stone chips as high as seven feet above the road on the front of the trailer. Cost over $800 to have it repainted. I removed the big mud flap and after 12,000 miles on all kinds of roads, no more paint chips. Our son did the same with his. The small flaps behind the rear tires do their job. The big flap can creat a down draft that will blow up small stone and get them airborne to fly into anything behind the coach. I see no point in having it except to advertise or make the owner fll warm and fuzzy.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:06 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Before I got the protect-a-tow our jeep wrangler usually had a collection of very small rocks (bigger than sand, but smaller than 1/8th inch pebbles) gathered on top the front bumper cover below the grill...(highlighted on the very top left of the pic below)

So that showed me SOMETHING was causing the pebbles to fly up and hit the jeep before settling on top of the bumper cover...

Was it because of the flap being too low and throwing up small rocks, that's my guess, but really don't know

all I know is that its much less of a problem now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pebbles.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	307.3 KB
ID:	150869  
Old 02-03-2017, 07:12 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
When I bought my DP it didn't have a full width mud flap on the rear. After a few trips I got tired of cleaning off the rear cap that got real dirty in just a short time.

I then had a Full width solid mud flap put on. The rear cap stayed much cleaner on long trips. And fuel mileage had no change.

For Pulling a toad I use a Protect-a-Tow $179 + less the the Roadmaster version.
It stores easy on the back of the MH.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:05 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
We recently bought a beautiful 2004 Jeep Liberty and when ordered up our tow package ordered the proper base plates to use both the Roadmaster products ..The Guardian Rock Shield & the Tow Defender to keep our jeep from getting dinged up.
RodneyLadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:15 AM   #20

After reading all of the posts they all seem to concern 4 down towing. Do the same problems exist if you're using a dolly?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:20 AM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
What no one has mentioned are dings on the motor home from rocks/stones kicked up by the full length mud flap bouncing off the toad and hitting the MH about mid way up. You need to look at the MH as well as the toad.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:03 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
This post makes me quite glad about our decision to not tow a vehicle. One less thing about which we have to worry...or debate...
Old 02-03-2017, 10:24 AM   #23

Another thing we observed on a heavily rainy day for lack of anything to do from the passenger seat as we were going through Salt Lake City - I watched the motorhome traffic in the opposite direction and noted that those with the full stiff flap across the rear had the water arcing high onto the hood area of their toads. Those without the big flap had the water spraying at the lower grill/tire area.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:42 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
I am going to order the Protect-A-Tow !! Comment

After reading your information and looking more into the Protect-A-Tow, this looks like the way to go for me.

Our motorhome has the original mud flap with name on the back of it but the owner highly recommended we not use it for the reasons I mentioned in my original post.

Aerodynamic Drag

Causes more damage than protection

Added Weight

Since it was our first motorhome and he actually owned a Campground and had more knowledge about DP than I did I took his advice. The Jeep I purchased was from a Lady who she and her husband had it behind their coach and it has some rock chips on if from towing so I want to not contribute to that. Really looks like this Protect-A-Tow is the way to go. Any of you have leads on best price place to go? Looks like you go right to the manufacturer $219 + SH. From what I see looks like one size fits all..
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:54 PM   #25

I'm confused... My coach says it comes with "Front and Rear Mud Flaps" and "Full Width Rear Rock Guard". I've also noticed that most motorhomes come with them. Why would a coach builder put things on their coaches that are bad for the Toad and bad for the rear cap of the motorhome?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:01 PM   #26

Have used the road master guardian for over 100,000 miles. No chips on the toad or the rear cap. DP is a Monaco Dynasty
Woody57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:34 PM   #27

I just use a LeBra on the front of the Malibu and have the stock mud-flaps on the motorhome's rear tires. I've been to Maine and back, no Alaska-type trips. No issues with chips or problems with the Toad.

I was wondering about the full - width flap at the rear, too. But don't think i'll do anything different for now.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
I'm confused... My coach says it comes with "Front and Rear Mud Flaps" and "Full Width Rear Rock Guard". I've also noticed that most motorhomes come with them. Why would a coach builder put things on their coaches that are bad for the Toad and bad for the rear cap of the motorhome?
One of the main reasons they put them on a coach is that it's free advertising for them and they get to charge you for it. A lot of people like to see it on the back of their MH telling people what they have. I don't think the manufacturers care what happens to the toad and I have not seen where it has harmed any coach I have owned. Many swear by them, but I along with just as many swear at them. They just do not offer any benefit.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, vent