Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2017, 09:20 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
How do you prevent road debris from hitting your toad?

The original owner of our DP took the rear mud flap off. He said it added weight, decreased the areo dynamics for fuel mileage and did nothing to protect his toad.

Most MH I see have some sort of mud flap or a stringy type of draping at the rear of the coach. I have also seen some kind of a mesh on the tow bar. I want to protect our toad so like feedback of several things I mentioned.

1. Is there any validity to the solid mud flap effecting your fuel mileage?
Yes it is added weight but really???

2. I would be wise to have something back there I would think correct? And what about those stringy looking things or the mesh on the tow bar? What do you all use?

Thanks !! James
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2017, 09:28 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How do you prevent road debris from hitting your toad?

I have used Roadmaster Tow Defender for 5 years with great success. It's a mesh that spans the gap between the RV and the tow vehicle.

Roadmaster 4700 Tow Defender https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FCBS4E..._pCaLybNJMQ9JZ
Old 02-02-2017, 09:30 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Stay on paved roads and you won't have much to worry about. Our coach only has the mud flaps behind the rear wheels and our towed vehicle doesn't have any dings.
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:45 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
As far as weight is concerned, my rig gets the same mileage with or without my 6000 lb PU behind me. I can't see the added weight being an issue. I also have no dings.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:18 PM   #5

Aside from weight and fuel mileage which, in my opinion, would be minuscule at best, I removed my rear flap a couple years ago because of stones gathering on my toad. I do have flaps directly behind the rear duals.
Once I removed the flap, I have not had any stone chips, and the toad stays generally cleaner. This is my observation over the past 12,000 plus miles. I do not use any other protection devices although I do have a Blueox Kar guard and a Roadmaster Rock guard for sale, Cheap!
Old 02-02-2017, 10:24 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You're going to get a variety of answers regarding the use of the rear full length mud flap. Personally, I believe they provide protection to the toad. I've been running one for over 15 years, including one on a gas Class A. Again, PERSONAL OPINION.....my experience is that most people who take them off have damaged them by not paying attention or they're improperly adjusted. They should be approximately 5" off the ground when the coach is aired up.

On a couple of occasions over the years, I've been unable to dodge a road gator. The mud flap prevented it from flipping up on the body of the toad.

Weight is not an issue and I've never seen any evidence if the mud flap affects aero dynamics or mileage.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:55 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I have a full width mud flap and a mesh rock guard that spans from the back of my coach to the front of the car. Protects it nicely.

However where the arms for my tow unit attach and the safety hooks, they
have scratched the paint below them here and there. If I ever quit towing my car will have to have that area painted.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:17 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Dennis45

Dennis45,
What do you want for each? Please provide details/model on each and condition. I'm interested.
Adam1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:41 PM   #9

We just had stiff mud flaps behind each tire and no across-the-rear flap. We drove gravel roads and did not get any dings on the towed vehicle.

On our Alaska trip we pulled into a campground and two motorhome owners were in the process of removing their stiff across-the-rear flap. They showed us the layer of rock laying at the base of the towed vehicle's windshield. We had just driven the same area of construction they did and we didn't have any damage. That convinced us.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:21 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We opted for and use the Roadmaster Guardian which seems to be doing a great job plus its easy on - easy off design is very user friendly.

That stated, We use it in combination with the Roadmaster BlackHawk II 10k tow bar which the Guardian mounts to so I'm not sure how they work with other brands of tow bars.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1414.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	150848
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:56 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have mud flaps behind the MH tires, and installed a full width brush flap under the rear bumper three years ago.

My thoughts are, if a rock gets kicked up by the MH, and it hits the brush, the rock speed will increase. This will lower the relative speed difference between the rock and the toad, and reduce the damage if the rock hits the toad. The brush may also tend to catch the rock and flip it upward. A solid flap wouldn't do this.

Make sure the flap doesn't drag and kick up anything.

I notice the toad gets just as dirty as the MH. especially driving around in winter weather, rain, snow, etc. The flaps may help a tiny bit with this as they help collect the mist and turn it into larger water droplets.

I have an older 2003 Vue, I don't see any obvious damage from crap getting kicked up by the MH
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:22 AM   #12
RV LIFE Support Team

I have read extensively on this subject prior to buying our MH. The jury seem to be out whether thee mud flaps(any type) help or create more problems.

We ended up buying a Protect-A-Tow and have had no chips at all. We do not hesitate to recommend this product.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:31 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
I have read extensively on this subject prior to buying our MH. The jury seem to be out whether thee mud flaps(any type) help or create more problems.

We ended up buying a Protect-A-Tow and have had no chips at all. We do not hesitate to recommend this product.
We just installed our Protect-A-Tow yesterday. We also removed our rear full length flap. I cut it into mud flaps and used the bracket it was installed with to hang the mud flaps just behind the rear wheels. The posts I read here and elsewhere plus looking at motor homes with a full length flap spraying a rooster tail in rain convinced me. How many 18 wheelers have you seen with mud flaps vs full length flaps?
Old 02-03-2017, 05:48 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use the full width brush type to mainly knock down the water spray when it's raining. I would think it would do the same for other debris.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, vent