Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #1

How does Toad affect your milage (Gasers)

Hi everyone. As a newbie, have been doing a lot of reading regarding Toads. Interested in all pros vs cons but really struggling trying to weigh the cost of having one with us vs. renting a vehicle when/if necessary? I've looked but see very little discussion regarding how this will affect my rigs milage? Our coach will be used mainly for touring the first couple of years. Not spending a lot of time anywhere. Maybe 3-4 days max? Looking for input, realizing a Mini Cooper is going to affect milage less than a Suburban, but curious anyway if you have with/without milage numbers.
Thanks Much!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
A fellow member just picked up his coach. It is the same model as ours he reported a MPG of 13..No cargo, no toad. We get w/ toad and fully stock 8.5 mpg. The toad IMO will cost 1.5 to 2.5 in MPG... Good Luck and Safe Travels... D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:16 PM   #3

I tow a 2009 Corolla on a dolly behind a 2008 Damon Challenger 371 (Ford). The only time I know it's back there is pulling the mountains in West Virginia and Virginia. As to the difference in mileage it's almost negligible, with toad 6.9 with out 7.1 based on 8,000 miles with and 3,000 miles with out.
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:19 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I average about 2/10ths less when towing my CRV.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:30 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieray53 View Post
A fellow member just picked up his coach. It is the same model as ours he reported a MPG of 13..No cargo, no toad. We get w/ toad and fully stock 8.5 mpg. The toad IMO will cost 1.5 to 2.5 in MPG... Good Luck and Safe Travels... D
i find 13 mpg quite high 8.5 is good and probably about what most get
i have often wondered if those that get 13-22 are the same ones who got their coach at 60% off list
brianj
Old 03-05-2011, 08:08 AM   #6

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
So your saying if I start towing my mileage will go up? Man have I been missing out all these years! :slap. I get 6-7 now in my Pace so I need to start pulling my suburban to get 13? Thanks!
Ron
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
So your saying if I start towing my mileage will go up? Man have I been missing out all these years! :slap. I get 6-7 now in my Pace so I need to start pulling my suburban to get 13? Thanks!
Ron
If you are talking about my post, I said towing costs you 1.5 to 2.5 MPG.
We also run the Gen. all times. The 13mpg I would guess was without the Gen. running. Peace ...D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieray53 View Post
We also run the Gen. all times. The 13mpg I would guess was without the Gen. running. Peace ...D
My two cents. I don't think most of these estimates (with or without TOAD) are reliable. Way too many other variables seem to affect mileage more than the toad. Was it windy? Flat or hilly? Did you run the generator? Were you only on freeways or back roads? Are you talking about a class A diesel or a Class B gasser? How much does your TOAD weigh in comparison to your MH? Is the MH fully loaded with water, fuel, waste, other things? Keep in mind that our cargo is often as much as a TOAD weighs (and the TOAD is rolling on wheels, not dead weight in the basement).

Common sense (and physics) will say that towing will decrease your mileage. But how much depends on all those other things. I speculate if you have a small MH that weights 9000 lbs and you tow a 3000 TOAD behind, you will see a bigger effect on mpg that if you have a 30,000 lb MH towing a 3000 lb TOAD. Lots of inertia to that Class A Diesel so once it gets rolling will the extra 10% of rolling weight make that much difference?

The only proper test would be to take the same setup (MH and TOAD) and drive it over a prescribed route on a calm day over a flat route without running the generator and get a very precise mpg calculation. Then repeat everything without the TOAD and compare. The result will be the minimum loss in mpg. (SInce the controlled conditions are best case). I have not done so and I suspect those reporting anecdotally have not either. My mpg varies 1-1.5 mpg when I am towing. (i.e., I can get between 7-8.5 mpg when towing). That variance is all due to those "other factors" like wind, cargo, terrain, type of road, who is behind the wheel, use/nonuse of cruise control. etc. I have never gotten more than 8.5 mpg when not towing -- which leads me to believe that the TOAD affects mpg less than all the other variables for my setup.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #9

Probably a good rule of thumb would be based on relative weights.

For example if the toad weight is 10% of the coach weight, fuel economy would likely drop by about 10%.

Intuitively, less so on flat lands and more so in the mountains.

With our 38,000 lb coach and 4,000 pound toad wind is the significant fuel economy variable. I have never been able to relate the economy to whether or not we are pulling the toad.
Eaglesview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:34 AM   #10

I say the bigger your unit the less impact the TOAD will have on your MPG. The TOAD adds zero wind resistance, a very slight increase in rolling resistance, so it comes down to the added weight. The HP to move the additional weight is really what impacts the mileage.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #11

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieray53

Just having fun no offense, mpg statements are like fishing stories, I can say that when we came from Montana that I got about 15 mpg but that was downhill behind a semi. Then one time awe went 400 miles and used no gas. Oh I forgot that's when the gas gauge broke so it showed full until I stopped at the service station then it showed empty as did the credit card afterward. Happy trails
Ron
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
I say the bigger your unit the less impact the TOAD will have on your MPG. The TOAD adds zero wind resistance, a very slight increase in rolling resistance, so it comes down to the added weight. The HP to move the additional weight is really what impacts the mileage.

I agree, except the comment about wind resistence. Yes, the MH is bigger in profile than the TOAD but that doesn't mean zero additional wind resistance. Go sit inside your TOAD while you are being pulled by the MH. Stick your hand (or head) outside the sunroof. Feel anything? That's wind resistance that is affecting the toad. No, it's not a parachute by any means but there is measurable resistance.

Also, in a cross wind the TOAD will add to the wind effect.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:07 PM   #13

I would agree regarding uphill, down hill, wind direction/speed, even air temp/humidity. They're all capable of making a very noticable difference in milage. Those changes would be short term though. Longer term results, like from those that have been monitoring milage 30,000 mi, even 10,000 miles or so, would have those variables cancelled, or certainly dampened slightly, due to averaging.

It also stands to reason how the larger rigs might notice less difference due to the toad being a much smaller percentage of the oveall load. That's why I'm much more interested in input from the gassers. Point being, not looking for anything exact. Averages, especially long term, are perfect!

Thanks much so far!
Old 03-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #14

Currently my Adventurer on a Workhorse tows a Saturn Vue. On a long flat trip I do not see an appreciable difference in MPG. However, the start and end of almost every trip takes me over the Grapevine, Baker Grade, or some other major mountain pass. During these climbs, with the engine running at 4000rpms, I suck fuel. The really big difference for me is the speed limit imposed on towing. In California a towed combination is limited to 55mph. Realizing that my combination is close to the gross vehicle combined weight rating for the motorhome, and from experience, I limit my speed when towing to less than 60mph. This is my comfort zone. I get to see the scenery. My gas consumption averages 7 to 8 mpg. When traveling without the toad, the trip tends to be less for a vacation and more for reaching the destination to visit (eg:trip to the kids in Las Vegas) I find I push my speed to reach the destination, maybe 65 to 70mph. The ride is harder, there is nothing to see, and I suck fuel. At this increased speed my fuel economy drops to 6mph or less even without a tow car.
Thus, we take the Saturn, we enjoy the vacation, and we travel slower and safer.
JMHO...Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote