Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2012, 06:56 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Use mine about every day, don't like sitting around the CG all day. Can do that at home. When traveling, I like to see and do things other than walk to wally's.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2012, 07:05 AM   #16

We use our's most days if we have it. If we are going for a short period, a day or two, we will sometimes not take our toad but any longer, I like to have the freedom to park the MH, set it up and then if we need to run to the store, do some sight seeing, or whatever, we have the toad. We usually have a destination when we travel so not sure if this would change if we were taking a long vacation, moving each day.
Dan DeBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #17
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The trip is an adventure. The DW and I like traveling together, and she would not give up the short walk to the bathroom when we are traveling. So driving a car behind is not for us. We pull the TOAD.

We travel for a day, maybe two, stay over night, and some times 3 or more and even a couple weeks at one spot. To us, the sightseeing is a big part of the trip. You have a smaller MH and may be able to take it places, but consider wear/tear/fuel on the MH and you may come out ahead towing. We have been on roads with the TOAD (Saturn Vue) that I could never take the 40' DP on, and on some I don't think I would want to drive a 31 footer either.

So it all depends on your lifestyle. What do you want to do? Do you want to just get to a destination, sit and never go out? Then no TOAD may be for you, or renting a car for a day or two. It is an individual choice based on your likes and dislikes. As stated, I just cannot see breaking down camp, to not only include the outside hook-ups, but making everything inside earthquake safe.

Good luck to you.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #18

Thanks to all for the feedback! I have two cars, one too heavy to tow (5900 lbs) and the other is a Cadillac DTS (4009 lbs). I did not want to buy a third car and did not want to tow the Cadillac that was the basis of the original question. We are going to buy a dolly and try towing the Cadillac to see how that works. We may be forced into a third car or trade something in but I now see that going without a TOAD would be a mistake. Again, thanks to all for your comments!
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
My TOAD is my dailey ride. We never leave home without. We are more travelers and tourists than campers. We want to see what is in the area not the campgound, so a vehicle is a must.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
Thanks to all for the feedback! I have two cars, one too heavy to tow (5900 lbs) and the other is a Cadillac DTS (4009 lbs). I did not want to buy a third car and did not want to tow the Cadillac that was the basis of the original question. We are going to buy a dolly and try towing the Cadillac to see how that works. We may be forced into a third car or trade something in but I now see that going without a TOAD would be a mistake. Again, thanks to all for your comments!
Not to start another argument but I would rethink that dolly idea. Just from my own standpoint but had one and you couldn't beat me to make me do that again. Now its a jeep, blue ox aladdin and I can hook and un hook in probably less than a minute and thats good when you have pulled in someplace you can't get outof quickly. Just my 2 cents
boaterok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

So it all depends on your lifestyle. What do you want to do? Do you want to just get to a destination, sit and never go out? Then no TOAD may be for you, or renting a car for a day or two. It is an individual choice based on your likes and dislikes. As stated, I just cannot see breaking down camp, to not only include the outside hook-ups, but making everything inside earthquake safe.
Its definitely a personal choice. I'd never leave home without my toad.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have a lot of good inputs here. MH for point to point travel and the toad to get around.
Then you have the how to tow - 4 down is nice and quick, but you buy the equipment to fit one car and that car must be towable. If you go with the Tow Dolly and you can tow any front wheel drive car, but if you get into a back-up situation it's harder to unload to back-up. I don't full time and the tow dolly is fine - just be careful when you choose a place to stop to eat/fuel. I put a tow hitch on my little toad (Aveo) to make moving the tow dolly around easy.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #23
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Toad goes with us everywhere withonly one exception. We go to local bluegrass festivals and dry camp. No need for a toad when we are one hour or less from home. Otherwise ir is part of our regulare process. Don't leave home without it.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
After years of not towing we started towing a little over a year ago. Now we never leave home without it! Even if it's just for a few days we bring along the toad. Doesn't take that long to hook up. great for a quick trip to the store or a dinner out etc.

Dan
Old 01-26-2012, 10:53 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I been RV'ing since 1957. Started with a TT so we always had the tow vehicle to get around it. When we got our first MH (17' Type B) we went without a toad. Since 1997, we've always had a toad.
I've towed the '05 Odyssey both on a dolly and four down. Personally it's a wash as I can get the Ody on the dolly and tied down just as fast as I can set it up for four down.
Even though I have it set up for both I almost prefer the dolly as it doesn't wear the CV joints or brakes and far less chance of transmission trouble too. It also tracks better. We're going to be headed for AZ in a few months and I'm still debating which way to tow. The Ody is NOT approved for towing although a lot of people do it with no problems and I've done it foe hundreds of miles now too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
To answer the OP's original question...almost daily.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
Just did a brake job, new brake booster, new master, new brake hoses, new carburetor, and two new tires. Not bad for a 40 year old toad, and cheap to drive. JR
jroethke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I think you'll hear that most of us who have gotten used to having a toad would not be without one now. We have a 40DP so don't have the flexibility you do but IMO, I would get very tired of having to "break camp" to run to the store or out to dinner.

To me, the bottom line might be whether or not you ever intend to tow. The initial set up cost is high. Once you make the decision to do that, I'd hook up and tow without a second thought on all trips.

Best of luck.

Rick

x2
Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad