Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #29

I have seen it from the other side.

Been full timers since May 17,2011. Never RV camped before but when we made the decision we decided to do it right and a 4 down tow 4x4 was a necessity.

In my former life as a farmer in a remote area, one of most least favorite tasks was being woke up late night by a weekend warrior with more confidence than smarts.

The typical situation was a thirty something with his family had decided "lets go down this road to see some off the highway sites."

Then rain, no gravel on a clay road resulting in a MH or a 2wd mini-car in a ditch, dark comes and no lights in sight and mr hero has to start backtracking up this same gravel road to find help.

Get after midnight and my farmlights are the first sign of light he has see so he comes up my lane and wakes me up. As sympathetic as I am, I start to get frustrated when he can't tell me where he is stuck.

Rather than take a tractor to rescue him, I take him back in my 4x4 pickup to get a very muddy family rescued and let him use my land line to try to find a tow company to come get him.

Eventually my wife has to feed and prepare sleeping accomodations for Mr and Mrs Mud and family.

Next morning still no motor club tow company will come out in the mud. Time to go to the field, walk in and unhook my 4x4 farm tractor, find sufficient chain and cable to get the motor home/2wd car back on the road (ps-mr explorer doesn't know squat about hooking the chain to pull, so with my bad back I have to get down in the mud and do the job.

Then tow back to a traveable road and re-unite the happy family and I go home to get some sleep and grumble about city folk.

Don't risk it. In Canada you won't get shot but you won't be loved.

Stay on paved roads or be prepared. A mh or 2wd is going out without a shirt.
easy RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
Our first MH was a older gas model with a 3 speed trans. We did not feel that it was strong enough to tow so we rented a car where ever we went. We now have a DP and tow a car. It is so much better we will never go back to renting.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Since buying our first MH several years ago, we have towed a Jeep Wrangler almost everytime we go on a trip. Once we didnt and had to rent a vehicle and quickly realized that the cost to rent a car was a lot more than the little extra fuel we might use pulling our Jeep. When we go to Jekyll Island wedont take the Jeep but we take our golf cart since it is legal to operate on the island. My vote would be get a good tow vehicle and enjoy your trips even more.

Tags
toad