Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2015, 07:28 PM   #1

How frequently to tighten tow dolly straps?

Today I used an ACME tow dolly for a few miles, hauling a compact FWD car. The straps were previously used; not new but not old either. As instructed, I stopped after a few blocks to re-tighten. And again a couple miles later. Each time the passenger side had let that tire move back from the front rail by about an inch. I then completed my tow, about another several miles. At the end, that tire was again about an inch off the rail.

These were 3 point straps. 2 rear attachment points, then a front strap to a ratchet. I'm sure the strap was not slipping on the mounts or the ratchet. So my question is, how many tightenings would you consider normal?
Snowman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2015, 07:42 PM   #2

We go about half a mile to the top of a hill in our neighborhood, pull off the side and retighten straps. aways loose.. the next stop is about 100 miles at a rest stop on the interstate. usually get one more notch on them.. then I check anytime we stop. usually they are ok for the rest of the trip. at the same time I bang my tires with my big azz wrench I used on the dolly straps.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #3

Thanks. I'd love to hear from anyone else, how many times do you have to tighten your tow dolly straps?
Snowman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:36 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
I usually go about a block and stop to re-tighten.
Then it depends on the distance to the next "stop". Usually get one "click".

Be sure you get the tires tight against the front stops. Pull the straps "snug" up around the tire and tighten them down. Crank 'em hard!

It's really nice if you are on a slight down-hill - keeps the car snug against the stops when you strap it in.
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:14 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
New straps will be tightened several tiles till they stretch a bit. After the first long trip you should only need to tighten them initially then again after a couple 90* turns. They seldom hold the tires tight against the stop. Lots of strong forces going on an inch isn't that bad in my opinion. I always checked them every time I stopped to see if anything had changed and you always want to check them when coach, dolly and toad are in a straight line.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:52 PM   #6

If the dolly, tow vehicle and car are not straight you will find this. Also, when installing the straps make sure the strap portion that goes over the top of the tire points towards the center of the wheel.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:54 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Before going very far, try going around a few turns in both directions, even if it adds a mile or more to the start of your trip. Tighten after the turns, then check again after 50 miles or so. After that, every time you stop. I'm fortunate that I can drive around my neighborhood with a couple of tight turns in both directions. Once I tighten up after those, I rarely tighten again.
BoA36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:46 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I had an item on my checklist that said to determine where to stop to check and re-tighten straps. Sometimes that would mean the dump station after making a few couple turns in each direction and sometimes it meant stopping at that large shopping center.

Hey Rocky: Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!!!!
Sorry couldn't resist.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:16 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
It took about 3 trips or a couple thousand miles before my straps quit stretching and loosing up even stopping numerous times to get a few more clicks tightening them up. Now I have zero issues but I do stop once after a few miles and usually get one more click on each strap. I also use a 20" long 1/2" ratchet so we're talking some major torque on the straps. I also carry an extra set of wheel straps and winches. Either one of these break and your done.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:53 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Same for us. We have a couple of good turns left and right before we hit the highway. I always get one more click when I stop but after that our straps stay tight. I always check when we stop because it is just good practice but so far I have not been surprised.

Just FYI we have traveled several times from NJ to Louisiana round trip and the straps stayed tight each time. Love our EZTow dolly.
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:40 PM   #11

When we had a tow dolly. Stopped about 2 miles from our house. Then 20 miles out at a rest area. When straps are wet they need to be tighten again. Still stop at same places on our way out to check tow bar connections.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman9000 View Post
Thanks. I'd love to hear from anyone else, how many times do you have to tighten your tow dolly straps?
Honestly, according to www.ratchetstraps.com and the information I gathered from www.lodimetals.com I'd re check the ratchet straps every couple miles. I drive a RV for a living as I'm now retired and I think if you make it 2 miles checking one every mile leaving your destination by giving it a good gas acceleration and a stop between the two not using too much force but just enough it'll be good enough.
mrm94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:59 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have an Acme dolly, When I load it, I have the front tires an inch or so back from the front rail. I snug the straps. I then drive 10-15 minutes and re-snug. Thats usually all it needs for the next 2,000 miles..

I don't honker down tight, The front tires must be able to move a little.

I always check the straps and chains at every stop..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:08 PM   #14
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I might as well chime in...

I read the way to do it was stop the vehicle about an inch from the stops. Use some safety common sense and firm up straps then release park brake and put in natural. Cinch the straps up and it will pull the car forward to the stops. Drive off and do a safety check in 20 or so miles. You might get a little more tightness.

I thought I'd try it and was amazed that it worked so well. Most of time I couldn't get anymore slack up and all was good till destination.

Tags
tow, tow dolly, dolly