Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #1

How many bungee your steering wheel?

We are getting ready for our first tow with our 2000 Pontiac Sunfire convertible and wonder if we should put a bungee cord from the bottom of the steering wheel to the seat frame to make sure the wheels return to straight after cornering. We are towing on all four and have a Blue Ox baseplate and tow system behind our 2001 38" Sportscoach. Thanks in advance for any comments. DACOTAH
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotah
We are getting ready for our first tow with our 2000 Pontiac Sunfire convertible and wonder if we should put a bungee cord from the bottom of the steering wheel to the seat frame to make sure the wheels return to straight after cornering. We are towing on all four and have a Blue Ox baseplate and tow system behind our 2001 38" Sportscoach. Thanks in advance for any comments. DACOTAH
The wheel returns automatically. Just make sure you follow the Pontiac instructions for flat towing. IE: key on acc, some need to pull a fuse , trans in neutral. All are different. These are only meant as an example.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #3

Absolutely not. The front tires has to steer just like you were driving the vehicle. Congrats on your fulltime adventure.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Dacotah,
Consider not restraining, in any way, the steering wheel. If you want to make sure the front wheels return to the neutral position, tie a bright colored towel or large shop rag (I use yellow) to the top of the steering wheel. You'll see the rag/towel in the backup camera.

If you do this, you'll see why one should not restrain the steering wheel in any way. The steering wheel turns quite a bit during a coach turn. If restrained, there would be quite a bit of stress placed on the toad's front end components and the towing components.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #5

No bungee jumping for me...

Thanks for all the good advice, guys!! Last month at a motorhome shop in South Florida where I was getting a price on a tow system, the salesman mentioned to bungee the steering wheel; I thought it was odd at the time, so that's why I asked the question. The rag idea is good, that way I will see the wheel re-center itself in the monitor. I did not end up using the shop, they were way to expensive, I bought Blue Ox equipment on line and did my own install, a friend with a body shop helped on the baseplate. Thanks again, IRV2 is awesome!!
DACOTAH
Old 02-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you have a rear view camera system, tie a white cloth at the top center of the steering wheel. When you glance at the monitor you can see what your steering wheel is doing. If perchance you have a front tire flat you will see a lot of wobble in the steering wheel. Most likely for a rear tire also.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
If you have a rear view camera system, tie a white cloth at the top center of the steering wheel. When you glance at the monitor you can see what your steering wheel is doing. If perchance you have a front tire flat you will see a lot of wobble in the steering wheel. Most likely for a rear tire also.

Happy trails.
A tire pressure monitering system is a lot better than trying to watch out for a flat with a rag. I have moniters for all 10 tires. Good insurance
Not trying to steal your thunder, Wayne
Old 02-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
A couple of months ago someone on a thread here suggested taking a wrap from a lint roller and putting it on the steering wheel in the 12 oclock position when the wheels are straight if you want to monitor the action of the steering wheel. It may work better than a rag. Made sense to me. As others have said, ABSOLUTELY do not bungee or in any way restrict the steering wheel. The only time I've heard that to be an idea is when towing a rear wheel drive vehicle backwards on a tow dolly and then ya may want something more substantial than a bungee strap.

I second the use of the tire pressure monitoring system. The peace of mind knowing all tires are doing what they are supposed to do is well worth the $$$ spent.
e8seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:01 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dacotah said:
Last month at a motorhome shop in South Florida where I was getting a price on a tow system, the salesman mentioned to bungee the steering wheel
=============

Whenever I look at RV's with friends or family I always ask the salesman what kind of RV he owns and uses. I haven't hit an owner yet.

The common reply I hear is "Oh I just use one out of the lot here." Pressing for more information on their travels usually results in vague answers.

The last person I would ask to help me with RV advice would be the RV salesman.

Do not use a bungee cord on the steering wheel.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:24 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
The wheel returns automatically. Just make sure you follow the Pontiac instructions for flat towing. IE: key on acc, some need to pull a fuse , trans in neutral. All are different. These are only meant as an example.
I belive there is a better idea than the key switch in the acc position.
Most american designed vehicles have a position in between what most people think as OFF and Ignition ON. It shuts off the ignition but doesn NOT lock the wheel.
If people would use this position there would be no need to pull fuses.

AS far as the bungee on the wheel I vote NO.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the alignment on the toad is correct you should not need a bungee cord.

Use the suggestions of having a marker on the wheel so you can see if the toad is tracking correctly. If it doesn't seem to be tracking well, have the alignment on the toad checked.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering