Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:29 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeryan59 View Post

I also usually go through the spoke on the wheels with ratchet strap with a soft cotton towel to protect the chrome wheels. With air ride on my vehicles the ratchet straps will loosen. I also apply the emergency brake securely prior to putting the transmission in park so when I ratchet the vehicle down I am not putting additional stress on the transmission.
I never give this a thought till I hauled my JK for the first time, ratchet straps, on the front and rear (above the axle's) where the body goes up and down in travel......straps were loose every time I checked them , thought about it.....hooked into the front and rear lower shock mounts, on the axles that do not move during traveling.......never had to check them again.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2015, 07:25 AM   #30

How many of you tow an enclosed trailer?

Pulled the trailer for the first time last night. Can't get the trailer brakes to work. I am sure I hooked up the brake controller correctly. Have the gain set at around 7.5 but still won't lock up the brakes when I push the manual button. After drive home the brakes on the trailer were only slightly warm. I think they are really out of adjustment. Having a friend pull it later today with his pickup and see if the brakes are working for him. But hey, it looks good! 😄Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1424093116.542147.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	86226

Old 02-16-2015, 10:34 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
Pulled the trailer for the first time last night. Can't get the trailer brakes to work. I am sure I hooked up the brake controller correctly. Have the gain set at around 7.5 but still won't lock up the brakes when I push the manual button. After drive home the brakes on the trailer were only slightly warm. I think they are really out of adjustment. Having a friend pull it later today with his pickup and see if the brakes are working for him. But hey, it looks good! ��Attachment 86226
If trailer is loaded the brakes may not lock up, have someone stand near the trailer and you should hear the brakes activate.

You might find this helpful?

jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:50 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
Pulled the trailer for the first time last night. Can't get the trailer brakes to work. I am sure I hooked up the brake controller correctly. Have the gain set at around 7.5 but still won't lock up the brakes when I push the manual button. After drive home the brakes on the trailer were only slightly warm. I think they are really out of adjustment. Having a friend pull it later today with his pickup and see if the brakes are working for him. But hey, it looks good! ��Attachment 86226

If my memory is correct 7.5 gain is a lot, mine is always set at 3.5 and feel the tug of the brakes whenever they were applied.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:41 PM   #33

Yes it is high. When I can I will check the output voltage and see if the brake controller is working.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:32 AM   #34

In pulling down mountain roads, the like of which on the Million Dollar Highway between Silverton and Ouray Co., We had to downshift into first with the engine brake on and it would run about 15mph @ 1700-2000 rpm, and would not try to shift out to second gear, however if we only down shifted to second w/engine brake on it would still shift into third. Some MH's come with dual stage engine brakes which should do better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	86375   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	273.5 KB
ID:	86376  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	86377  
Old 02-18-2015, 05:04 AM   #35

If your Trailer is new with little road time the brakes will take time to Burnish in.
>> This is from Dexters Site
>>>>NOTE: After replacing your brake shoes and magnets you will experience a decrease in braking performance until the components have worn into the drum and finished the burnishing process. This process requires many stops to bring the new shoe's performance back to normal. This may take more than 100 stops to finish this break-in period with stops of 20 mph decreases in speed. Please refer to the Dexter Service Manual for detailed troubleshooting instructions to further determine the cause of poor brake performance.

I know that when I change mine it takes many stops to reach peak stopping power.
NHRA225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:13 PM   #36
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
If your Trailer is new with little road time the brakes will take time to Burnish in.
>> This is from Dexters Site
>>>>NOTE: After replacing your brake shoes and magnets you will experience a decrease in braking performance until the components have worn into the drum and finished the burnishing process. This process requires many stops to bring the new shoe's performance back to normal. This may take more than 100 stops to finish this break-in period with stops of 20 mph decreases in speed. Please refer to the Dexter Service Manual for detailed troubleshooting instructions to further determine the cause of poor brake performance.

I know that when I change mine it takes many stops to reach peak stopping power.
X2. All of my trailer brakes have done this. I set the controller to just drag a little when new. They work better after burnishing is done.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:47 PM   #37

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
DBL Z I like that setup.

We are looking for one large enough to haul my furniture/cabinetry tools and still have room for the "Unicorn" when mobile.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:58 PM   #38

I use the axel straps on the car with the straps in x pattern.. always x your straps, you will be surpised how much a car can move in a trailer. I always look for a pull through when I stop a uturn can take miles to find, backing up can be a team effort. when I make resurvations I make sure they understand that my rig is over 80' long.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:19 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpower View Post
I use the axel straps on the car with the straps in x pattern.. always x your straps, you will be surpised how much a car can move in a trailer. I always look for a pull through when I stop a uturn can take miles to find, backing up can be a team effort. when I make resurvations I make sure they understand that my rig is over 80' long.

As you know.....this is when Google Earth becomes VERY handy!
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:59 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpower View Post

Beautiful Rig!!!!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:05 PM   #41

yes I try to plan all stops and the route to them before the rig starts up. If you miss a turn your navigator has to be fast to get you back on track, otherwise just pull over and map it out.. thankfully I only go to about 4 camp grounds they all are very helpful in pulling my and helping me to my spot. I added 1 new the the list "Tropical Palms" in Orlando I will post up on that trip in April when I get home.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:34 AM   #42

I appreciate the comment about burnished brakes. They should be fine as we towed the trailer fully loaded behind a friends pickup truck from las angeles to Vegas and back. When I get the chance I will be checking output voltage going back to. The brakes. On another note, that is a beautiful rig but how do you get past the length restriction that most states have? ( CA is 65 feet?)
Steve

Tags
tow