Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:23 PM   #127

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMCUDNEY View Post
But then, some of you have your minds made up, so threads like this are pointless.
Yep, why ruin a good argument with facts!!
Kind of like arguing politics, you're not going to change my mind and I'm not going to change yours!
But to first time you stop 10 feet too late might change that!!

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2011, 11:31 PM   #128

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandering Retiree View Post
When we tow the suburban, we have a brake system in it but we do not use one when we tow the Mini Cooper.
Why? Isn't the Mini worth saving when it comes loose?

Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:56 PM   #129

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMCUDNEY:But then, some of you have your minds made up, so threads like this are pointless.
Au contraire! Even though a thread like this can evoke emotion, the intent and benefit is education for those seeking knowledge...
Old 06-24-2011, 07:38 AM   #130

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I agree. I'm not trying to talk someone into sometrhing that they don't want to do. I'd rather plant a seed of thought into someone who is still deciding. My toad is only 2,500# but I still have a braking system. ( surge brakes on my tow bar that activates the toad's brakes) I haven't had a major panic stop yet, but I have had some close ones.

Dan
Old 06-24-2011, 07:52 AM   #131
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You see a fair number of cases where a trailer or dinghy comes loose from the tow vehicel and it can cause a lot of damage to life and property. The only way to be safe is to have a break away system on the towed vehicle...not just safety chains because they break.

I see a lot of tow bar systems set up with the safety cables attached to the hitch draw bar and/or the adapter plates on the dinghy. these need to be attached to the frame of the tow vehicle and to the frame on the dinghy.

Adapter plates are bolted to the dingy and bolts do come loose. part of your yearly maintenance should be to check all attachment bolts fro the hitch and adapter plates.

When we had a motorhome and dinghy, I had the brakes and break away system. i did not want to cause an accident or harm any one for something that could be easily preventable with a little money. Human life is priceless.

Ken
Old 06-24-2011, 09:05 AM   #132

I pretty much read into the preceeding posts that "most" of those with the megamotorhomes have toad brakes; the rest of us with lower cost motorhomes don't, I wonder why???

Maybe this is the reason I never see any of these where I camp.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #133

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvonnar View Post
I pretty much read into the preceeding posts that "most" of those with the megamotorhomes have toad brakes; the rest of us with lower cost motorhomes don't, I wonder why???
Maybe this is the reason I never see any of these where I camp.
At what price $$$$ do your megamotorhomes start at???
I don't consider my almost 12 year old MH as one.

And I have put brakes on my toad with Break away system.
I have 1K deductible insurance and if the add on brakes saves one time, damage from not being able to stop fast enough.
I will be ahead.

I don't know where you camp at.
But I use a lot of Passport America campgrounds and see many pulling a toad, that have supplementary brakes.

Maybe you are not looking close enough when the ones near you hook their toad up.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #134
isa

Triple E Owners Club
This is for jbilling and Mr_D.

Why don't you find out the truth before stating completely false information.

ONTARIO

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pub.../part3.shtml#b

Brake Requirements

Service brakes are required on house trailers if the trailer's axle(s) transmit more than 1,360 kgs (3,000 lbs) to the road when the trailer is attached to the towing vehicle. This applies to cases where the trailer is loaded or empty. If brakes are required, at least one axle of the trailer must be fitted with brakes.

Brakes are not required on towed motor vehicles, whether towed with a tow bar or on a dolly. Tow dollies do not require brakes whether or not the dolly is carrying a motor vehicle.

House trailers with electric or hydraulic brakes are not required to have trailer breakaway braking devices or parking brakes while being towed in Ontario. Breakaway devices may be required in other Canadian provinces, the US and Mexico. Please contact those jurisdictions for their requirements.

Other sources of information:

home.roadrunner.com/~morodat/toad-brakes-by-state.html

http://www.rvda.ca/ProvBrakeReqts.asp
Old 06-24-2011, 12:38 PM   #135

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I have a 30 ft. class C and tow a Suzuki Sidekick - approx. weight 3000 lbs. I do not have an aux. brake but have considered adding one. I have had friends who had one and did not like it. I need to know more about them before I purchase one.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #136

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara S. View Post
I have a 30 ft. class C and tow a Suzuki Sidekick - approx. weight 3000 lbs. I do not have an aux. brake but have considered adding one. I have had friends who had one and did not like it. I need to know more about them before I purchase one.
What's not to like? If you go with one of the brake in a box type units, there is a certain amount of setup. It just seemed like a pain and subject to error when installing it each time. That's why my attention quickly turned to the built-in systems. After MUCH research, calling each company, etc, I decided on an SMI system for my Jeep. The only downside compared to the brake in the box systems is installation cost. The actual units cost about the same. I installed mine myself. In use, it's a simple flip of a toggle switch. After almost four years of use, it's required no further adjustment or attention. That is worth the extra installation cost even if I had to pay for it.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #137

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am certainly not a megamotorhome guy, but the cost of the brake-in-a-box was a tiny fraction of the overall cost--I picked up a new brake buddy on line for less than $500, which is about the cost of two tanks of gas. Admittedly, it takes a couple of minutes to install each time, but I'm OK with that considering the almost trivial (compared to everything else) cost, the fact that it's transferrable, and probably sellable if I decide to go with something else. No idea what your friends had, liked, or didn't like, but there are all kinds of systems out there, at a wide range of prices. If you don't like the do-it-each-time installation, there are systems that require only the flip of a switch.

Again, what's the down side to auxiliary brakes? I'm still waiting to hear that, but so far all I hear is either cost, or "you can't tell ME what to do!"
Old 06-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #138

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthewall View Post
...The only downside compared to the brake in the box systems is installation cost...
For those just learning about aux braking system, there are other considerations other than installation costs when choosing a braking system. A "brake-in-a-box" braking system can be used in more than one towed vehicle because it is self contained and can be moved from vehicle to vehicle. It can, also, be moved to a new tow vehicle when the old one is sold, without having to uninstall and reinstall as you would for an "installed" braking system such as the SMI. So it can be less expensive in the long run, depending on how long one keeps a towed vehicle.

However, in order for one to be able to use a "brake-in-a-box" system, such as a Roadmaster EvenBrake or Brake Buddy on more than one vehicle, one would have to have the rest of the towing equipment setup on the second vehicle, ie: tow brackets (base plates).

I use the Roadmaster EvenBrake mainly because I found it online for a great price... $500 for the Evenbrake and all the necessary tow bar equipment; All Terrain tow bar, baseplates, diodes, and cables.

There is no "down side" to a braking system that I can think of...
Old 06-24-2011, 05:25 PM   #139

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We RV and travel with four other couples, one couple has brakes, the others do not. The consensus is that the weight of the MH and the toad is the deciding factor. The MH with brakes is towing a Chevy Tahoe (heavy), the others tow a small stripped Jeep, two tow CRVs, and one has a Saturn, all relatively light with heavy MHs, around 30 to 35k for the MHs.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #140

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club

Itseems to me the "megamotorhomes" are the ones most likely to be in the 35-40K range, and MOST capable of stopping adequately without auxillary brakes on the toad.

Older, lighter weight (and less expensive, by extension; I assume thats what melvonar means) MHs would be the ones which REQUIRE the extra stopping ability for reasonable safety.

Our motor home is only 16K; even though we pull a lightweight Saturn, I'd never consider relying on luck rather than auxillary brakes to keep us safe.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes