Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:49 AM   #141
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by isa View Post
This is for jbilling and Mr_D.

Why don't you find out the truth before stating completely false information.

RV Information for Drivers - Passengers Carried in House Trailers

Brake Requirements

Service brakes are required on house trailers if the trailer's axle(s) transmit more than 1,360 kgs (3,000 lbs) to the road when the trailer is attached to the towing vehicle. This applies to cases where the trailer is loaded or empty. If brakes are required, at least one axle of the trailer must be fitted with brakes.

Brakes are not required on towed motor vehicles, whether towed with a tow bar or on a dolly. Tow dollies do not require brakes whether or not the dolly is carrying a motor vehicle.

House trailers with electric or hydraulic brakes are not required to have trailer breakaway braking devices or parking brakes while being towed in Ontario. Breakaway devices may be required in other Canadian provinces, the US and Mexico. Please contact those jurisdictions for their requirements.

Other sources of information:

Here's a slight amplification for Ontario from the last source listed on your post above...

"Tow Bar Brake Requirements
Motorhome and Towed Motor Vehicle If the towed motor vehicle has a gross vehicle weight of less than 2,000 kg (4,400 Ibs) and is less than 40% of the gross vehicle weight rating of the motorhome, brakes and coordinated brake control are not required." So actually, there is a requirement, it's just higher than some of the US requirements. A lot of towed vehicles weigh over 4,400 lbs. Our Jeep Liberty is about 5300. Good point about obtaining the truth before making a post, though.

ulric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2011, 06:51 AM   #142
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Originally Posted by Barbara S. View Post
I have a 30 ft. class C and tow a Suzuki Sidekick - approx. weight 3000 lbs. I do not have an aux. brake but have considered adding one. I have had friends who had one and did not like it. I need to know more about them before I purchase one.
We already know I have kind of a twin to your Suzuki. When we bought it a PO towed it so the plate and wiring was already installed. No brake system that I could see was ever on it. We decided to get a brake and break away system for a couple of reasons. The obvious safety increase and to make sure it was legal. The last thing we want is to be delayed on a trip because we are in a routine road block and are told the tow vehicle needs brakes. Not likely that will happen but who knows.

We went with Ready Brake and Ready Stop. Liked the simplicity and reasonable cost. I had the luxury of being able to install it myself. That makes a big difference in the final cost. We are very happy with it BTW.

Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:56 AM   #143
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As Professional Truck Driver and Level 2 certified Heavy Duty Tow Truck Operator not only do I have one installed I have seen the results of not having one installed personally. Every time I hooked up a Tractor Trailer or Cement Mixer I used one too. I realize I am not going to change anyone's mind here as a lot of people have to learn the hard way I pray that it is not at my or your expense. I have had close calls a lot as I have logged many miles in Oversized vehicles. Anytime I pull our toad I hook up the brakes no matter how far we are going. An Rv is an Oversized vehicle and when towing a vehicle behind it my opinion is always use a braking system. Your life or mine and my families may depend on it. So people think" I have been doing this for years I know what I am doing" or" it won't happen to me I am too good of a driver". While I have extensive Defensive Driving skills, education, and experience in Oversized Vehicles I ALWAYS supplemental braking systems. Just my 2 cents take it or leave it.
2011 Coachmen Mirada 34BH
2011 Honda CRV
campclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:03 PM   #144
Last week we went on our first trip with a toad. We decided to rent a tow dolly since that's the method we are considering purchasing, only because of the insanely high prices for a toad braking system. Tow vehicle is a 99 beaver monterey, 30'; toad is a 2008 CRV on a U-haul dolly.

What surprised me was lack of any kind of brakes on the dolly, as well as U-haul's gross underrating of it's capacities. The CRV was within 50 lb of it's limit. I'd think that to stay legal, U-haul would have surge brakes (and a license plate) on all their dollys. So I guess this qualifies as towing 4-down without brakes.

Because of the hydraulic brakes on the Beav and the usual high effort required, I was apprehensive about going from so-cal to ABQ and back without brakes, but decided that if it was too hard we could drop the dolly off at the nearest u-haul and the wife would just follow me in the CRV.

To my surprise, I couldn't tell it was back there, in any situation - and we had rain, heavy traffic, BIG grades, everything except snow and ice. No noticeable increase in stopping distance required, etc.

I'll get a dolly with brakes just for the insurance, but 4000+ extra pounds didn't matter to this coach.

I also noticed that for all the folks that have run the ramps into the rocker panels of your car - the easy solution is to RAISE the hitch ball!
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:06 PM   #145
Vintage RV Owners Club
I would not think of pulling out of the drive without aux brakes! As was stated early in this debate,"I would rather have it and not need it , than need it and not have it". I use an old SMI "brake in a box unit". Yes it takes a few minutes to install or remove, but worth every bit of effort. I have a older vintage MH and an even older CJ7 Jeep and I would hate to lose either one for just a few bucks saved by not having an aux brake system.
1984 Heritage 2000 32 ft 1976 Jeep CJ7 toad
Rick & Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:33 AM   #146
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
on a U-Haul dolly
I have rented many U-Haul dollys over the years, and don't recall ever having one without surge brakes built into the tongue. They even had a breakaway trigger.
Paul (KE5LXU) ...was fulltimin', now parttimin'
'03 Winnebago UA 40e / '05 Honda Odyssey toad
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #147
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I have rented many U-Haul dollys over the years, and don't recall ever having one without surge brakes built into the tongue. They even had a breakaway trigger.
Down here in So Cal the U-Haul tow dollies do not have brakes. They only ask"what are you towing?" Answer.."Volkswagen Beetle".
P30, 454 ENG, TURBO 400 TRANS
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:12 PM   #148
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just got back from Big Bear and the 33 is still in the garage. Thanks
NOTE; I am not responsible for typos, poor grammer or misspelled word !
04 Itasca, Meridian 34H, 330 Cat/2003 CR V Toad
1933 Ford 3 Window,as seen in Bye Bye Birdie
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:32 AM   #149
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I'd love to, but I'm leaving before that. Maybe next time.

OH BOY, I just looked you up and your only a few miles from me. Did I forget to mention the concertina wire, pit bulls and armed guards and ADT Protective services.

Just in case I forget to drop it off !!

Do you ever go over to the Saturday am Car Show at the Theater in La Canada ?
Good to see that you had a safe trip, 33 and all. I have not been to La Canada show. I'll have to stop by one Sat a.m.
I used to go to Fudruckers all of the time back in the day in Hastings Ranch by the Sears. Working on a "64 El Camino right now. I'll bring it over when it's done. Wire, Pits, guards, and ADT? Paris Hilton needs your system!

P30, 454 ENG, TURBO 400 TRANS
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote