Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #1

How much damage installing base plate?

I am leasing a 2013 Chevy Equinox and want to tow it. I've seen various posts that say there is some damage that will be done installing the base plate on an Equinox. If anyone has pics of this installation on an Equinox I would greatly appreciate seeing them. Will my leasing company flip out when I return the car?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Code: BX1689

3 reviewsRetail: $430.00
Today: $379.99
Base Plate Specs:
Removable Draw Bars
Twist Lock Attachment

Base Plate Features:
Installation Notes:
Bumper fascia must be removed and replaced during installation
Requires some trimming of bumper (fascia, plastic, and/or grill)
Requires some minor drilling
Requires some trimming of the air dam
Use only with motorhome mount tow bars or the BX8833 or BX88151 adapters. Removable tabs with only one hole will not attach to car mount tow bars or other adapters. The Acclaim may only be used with removable tab baseplates that have 23" or greater spaced tabs. The Adventurer may only be used with baseplates that have 16" 36" spaced removable tabs. The Ambassador may only be used with 24" spaced removable tabs.
The BX88152 adapter can not be used with this baseplate
Yeh...that would tick me off for sure if it was my vehicle and YOU did that to it.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm guessing your lease documents will prohibit towing it four down.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #4

They will probably flip out and you will probably pay the repairs and over mileage charges.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #5
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTRV4aYr View Post
I am leasing a 2013 Chevy Equinox and want to tow it. I've seen various posts that say there is some damage that will be done installing the base plate on an Equinox. If anyone has pics of this installation on an Equinox I would greatly appreciate seeing them. Will my leasing company flip out when I return the car?
I just finished installing a base plate on our 2013 Equinox. See our blog post HERE. The installation instructions are available on the Blue Ox website and have even better step by step photos.

Although you do have to remove the entire front fascia, no trimming or drilling that you have to do will be visible on the outside when you're done with the installation. All drilling is through the frame only, and all trimming is to the frame, the inside of the fascia and a small bite out of the foam bumper piece behind the fascia.

Miles will not register if you pull the fuse as instructed in the owners manual.

That being said, it will be hard to remove the base plate when it comes time to turn the car in. Loctite Red is required on all the bolts that fasten the base plate to the frame, and you will not be able to reach the nuts inside the frame to keep them from turning to break them free and remove the bolts. You will have to grind off the bolt heads to remove the base plate.

You will also have to wire the car for lights either by breaking into the car's wiring and installing diodes to utilize the existing tail light and brake light/turn signal bulbs, or you will have to drill holes into the tail light assemblies and install separate bulbs.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTRV4aYr View Post
While I am not familiar with modifications required for the base plate on an Equinox, I would think the leasing company might not "flip out', but you risk being presented with a surprise bill if they found out you were towing and put many more miles on the car than are actually showing on the odometer.

Evidence of towing by using a dolly or trailer would be much more difficult, if not impossible, to detect than having evidence that a base plate, lights and brake systems were used. (Not certain of your tow weight limitations so these options may not work.)

But if you plan to buy the car at the end of the lease, the point would be moot so in that scenario, damage or alteration evidence is academic and go for the base plate etc.

I have rigged several cars with a base plate, lights and brakes but have never taken things off so I am just speculating that one might not be able to erase the evidence. Holes are drilled and there will be teltale signs of the base plate being on there if one looks close.

Wonder what the "carfax" document says about this??

Good luck whichever option you take.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
...Evidence of towing by using a dolly or trailer would be much more difficult, if not impossible, to detect than having evidence that a base plate, lights and brake systems were used. (Not certain of your tow weight limitations so these options may not work.)...
Good point about using a dolly or trailer, but only FWD can be towed on a dolly. If the OP is planning to lease AWD, he would need to use a trailer.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #8

Thank you all for the replies! I think leasing a car is now the first major whoops on our journey. Gratefully, it can be solved simply by getting a dolly! I don't know what we would do without iRV2 as Newbies.