Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:38 PM   #1

How much length does towing add to combined length

Looking at getting a class A and a tow car. In planning it seems our state has a 60 ft limit on total length so even with a Wrangler that gets close on larger class A's. So basically how far is it from rear bumper of coach to front of tow car?

Thanks!

Tom

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2016, 06:49 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
Depends on the tow bar brand, model and if you need a drop/rise hitch. Our Sterling is one of the longest, if not the longest made so no problems in tight turns. I've never bothered to measure our total length and have never been questioned.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:51 PM   #3

Hitch bars & types from different manufactures may have different lengths .
My Blue Ox; Aventa LX 10,000 LB tow bar, adds 3 feet .
Demco bars may be slightly different.

As MR_D says , any drop required would add to length too. No real measurements in the Blue Ox brochure I have .
Old 08-12-2016, 07:07 PM   #4

Thanks Skip;

I was guessing around 3 ft was typical but could not find listings on product sites. I'd like to go like Mr_D and have added length to avoid turn problems but at 13.75 ft for tow car and 3 ft for bar it puts me over if we go with a 44-45ft coach.

Well just one more thing to figure out and evaluate in the purchase...

Tom
Old 08-12-2016, 07:30 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I tow an Odyssey behind my 36'3" Bounder, using an Aventa LX and a Roadmaster 8" drop receiver. I haven't measured the length, but my eyeball says it's about 5 feet from the MH to the Odyssey. The Ody itself is 16'10", so that's got me somewhere around the 58-foot mark. I used to tell campgrounds 60 feet, but after too many experiences of them thinking a 60-foot rig ought to fit in a 60-foot space, I tell them it's 70 feet :-)

I'm in California, where the maximum length is 65', so I'm comfortably under that, but I want to always have an MH of less than 40' because anything larger than that requires a Class B Non-commercial driver's license here. Also, motorhomes over 40' are only allowed on Interstates and selected state highways.

When I was homeward-bound this summer, I saw a clever setup on a big DP going the other way. Rather than tow, it was carrying. There was a Smart Car sitting transverse to the vehicle, on a rear platform, just like how electric mobility scooters are often carried on a platform behind a passenger vehicle.

Just googled up these pics of someone carrying one on the back of a Super C that way:

Smart piggy back on RV pic - Smart Car Forums

A Smart Car doesn't meet many people's needs in a toad, but if it meets yours, that's another option.
bluegiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:42 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
My Blue Ox Aladdin BX 4325 is 43 inches from the front of the car bumper to the back of the RV. That is with a span width of 25 inches. That's the distance between the two end points where it attaches to the car. That's with the tow bar directly into the RV receiver...I don't need a drop/rise hitch for mine.
KPFulltimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:05 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
41' MH +19' car w/tow bar =60'
Honda Accord
Can do full lock on turning on MH with no interference with towbar and car. Sterling towbar.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:07 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
41' MH +19' car w/tow bar =60'
Honda Accord
Can do full lock on turning on MH with no interference with towbar and car. Sterling towbar.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:06 AM   #9

Good Sam Camping RULES OF THE ROAD - SIZE LIMITS

Good Sam Camping

Federal Laws are more complicated as they're concerned with the type of towing vehicle, load and cargo. Possibly location within a state and type of roadway

US Dept. of transportation

Questions and Answers About Vehicle Size and Weight

Questions and Answers About Vehicle Size and Weight - FHWA Freight Management and Operations

_____

I think from state to state your suppose to follow state length rules and regulations that apply when your traveling through a state, similar to weight limits. Each state will have laws how their state regulations are enforced. Most states don't have check points for RVs. Usually inspection stations are only for commercial vehicles. So towing laws are often enforced through a common sense enforcement i.e. does the vehicle appear to impose danger, appear overloaded, too long, poor equipment, bad tire(s), etc. Similar is true of vehicle lighting rules and regulations that will vary from state to state.

Normally federal vehicle lighting rules and regulation are not enforced on the road by the Feds. This is the job of each state and/or local law enforcement, under state and local rules and regulations. Each city, town and county can impose and enforce their own rules and regulations for vehicle lighting.

Feds mostly apply their vehicle lighting laws to business that manufacturer and/or sell vehicle lighting equipment which also effects any import equipment into the US.

Rules and regulations that effect the roadway are more complicated as they may take in consideration the type and jurisdiction of roadway, type of vehicle, cargo, load, etc.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenman View Post
Looking at getting a class A and a tow car. In planning it seems our state has a 60 ft limit on total length so even with a Wrangler that gets close on larger class A's. So basically how far is it from rear bumper of coach to front of tow car?
Tom
I put that question into my "Don't be concerned/don't worry about it because nobody cares" file 20 years ago.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:00 AM   #11

Thanks for all the answers!

Tom
Old 08-13-2016, 11:18 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
I put that question into my "Don't be concerned/don't worry about it because nobody cares" file 20 years ago.
Yep, same for me. I checked with our state patrol, county and local police force years ago when first towing double bottom style with a camping trailer with a utility trailer behind that. They all told me the legal limits and all also said it was nothing to worry about, that they had never heard of anyone getting stopped and checked for being over length. I drove by countless patrols and never even got looked at.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 02:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Yep, same for me. I checked with our state patrol, county and local police force years ago when first towing double bottom style with a camping trailer with a utility trailer behind that. They all told me the legal limits and all also said it was nothing to worry about, that they had never heard of anyone getting stopped and checked for being over length. I drove by countless patrols and never even got looked at.

So kind of like they give you 5mph over the speed limit most all places then?

Tom
Old 08-13-2016, 02:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegiller View Post
When I was homeward-bound this summer, I saw a clever setup on a big DP going the other way. Rather than tow, it was carrying. There was a Smart Car sitting transverse to the vehicle, on a rear platform, just like how electric mobility scooters are often carried on a platform behind a passenger vehicle.

Just googled up these pics of someone carrying one on the back of a Super C that way:

Smart piggy back on RV pic - Smart Car Forums

A Smart Car doesn't meet many people's needs in a toad, but if it meets yours, that's another option.
I was checking into this as an option. Unfortunately the length of the car violates the max width for vehicles... my guess is this may be more enforced than length..

kerry

Tags
tow, towing