Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:56 AM   #15
Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
We bought a used car, with dings in it already, just so I didn't have to worry about it. I unhook the toad to often to add extra steps. That being said, our HR has a full flap at the rear that does a great job.

CapnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2013, 08:25 AM   #16
Tiffin Owners Club
Between the MH's mudflaps and the UltraGuard I installed, I have seen zero damage to our Honda Fit. The Fit sits very low if you are not familiar with it.

My personal opinion is that there a more solutions then there are actual problems. If your motorhome has mudflaps, then most of your chances of getting hit have been taken care of. If you want to add something additional I think that is fine.

Roger & Mary
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Honda Fit toad
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:13 AM   #17

Between our 2 toads I've replaced both windshields and the Grand Cherokee has tons of rock chips.

When we're driving it's generally for 1000 plus miles at a time (600-700 per day).

First motorhome was a Fleetwood Providence DP, aftermarket full width rubber flap. This motorhome has done most of our pulling, so far.

The Grand Cherokee has been pulled for over 40,000 miles, through gravel roads and sand covered highways (both for ice and desert highway). Countless construction miles. Windshield was replaced because of sand pitting, after 10,000 miles. I first had a custom padded windshield cover built by a local upholstery shop. They build them for construction equipment all the time. Cost us $125, half of our windshield deductible.

Then after 20,000 more miles I noticed the amount of chips in the paint a decided to try Blue Ox KarGard. This waas done during year 2. No further problems.

The Wrangler didn't even get 300 miles on the first trip with it. Construction zone in WY, kicked up a rock in the gravel section and broke the windshield right down the middle. Had a windshield cover built for it at a upholstery shop in Sheridan WY (first cover we had built), it was $125 as well. This was during the first year we had a coach.

We only take the Wrangler when we're within 500 miles of the stick and brick.

I did change the height of the flap on the motorhome and that help stop some of the rocks getting kicked up. It sat to low and would kick up the rocks it's self.

We've only put 4,000 miles on the Dutch Star so I don't really have a good test with it yet. But the coach it's self doesn't seem to throw as many rocks.
2013 DSDP 4347, all electric, 450 H.P. ISL
Air & hydraulic leveling
14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland toad
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:04 PM   #18
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No paint or widshield chips in over 40,000 miles on my 99 CRV. Toad 4 down, no rock shields of any kind. Just lucky I guess.

2006 Sea Breeze LX 8341 on a Workhorse W22 Chassis with 22.5 Alcoa Alum wheels,
2011 Chevy Colorado 4X4 with Ready Brake
Glenn and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:08 PM   #19
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Zero damage and no special protection used.

However, I raised the MH's mudflap so that it could not make contact with the road ~6".

Whenever the flap touches the road, the possibility of debris being kicked up occurs.
Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:31 PM   #20

Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
No paint or widshield chips in over 40,000 miles on my 99 CRV. Toad 4 down, no rock shields of any kind. Just lucky I guess.

You are probably like me. Regular mud flaps and a long enough distance between rear axel and back of RV. I have 13K miles with a 2012 Wrangler toad, and no chips
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:37 PM   #21
I started pulling a volkswagen in 1969 behind our converted bread van we bought from some hippies,we have had a motorhome and tow car of some kind ever since.In all those years I've had 2 chips in windshieds, they were a simple fix.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:44 PM   #22
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have not noticed any unusual damage to the front of the toad but it certainly keeps spray down on damp or wet roads.

John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:06 PM   #23

Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
Zero damage and no special protection used.

However, I raised the MH's mudflap so that it could not make contact with the road ~6".

Whenever the flap touches the road, the possibility of debris being kicked up occurs.
Excellent point about the mudflap height. I recall reading somewhere that the mudflap should be set at 4" off the pavement to minimize raising debris. I've towed about 5,000 mi. with no noticeable damage, just typical road grime. I usually, but not always, install a bra on our new CR-V just fell safe.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #24
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I had a towed and towed it 4-down I did not have any noticable damage from road hazards however the first year I had a major cleaning job to do when I got back home....

The second year I had installed an RV Underskirt from blue Ox (one of the many towed protectors) and did not have such a job cleaning up the towed (In fact did not need to do any unusual cleaning) I no longer have the towed, I still have the underskirt.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #25

I've done a lot of towing. I towed my old 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee well over 25,000 miles behind my old motorhome. It had one of those broom sweepers on the back. I never had any damage to that vehicle. I'm currently towing a 2006 Jeep Commander behind my new motorhome. It has one of those rubber flaps underneath. So far, after about 5,000 miles no damage there either.
Mark Anderson - FMCA 351514 - Louisville, KY
2007 Sportscoach Pathfinder 377DS - Freightliner XC
2006 Jeep Commander
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #26
I towed a 2004 Odyssey for 8 years and had many chips on the hood and front bumper. Now I have a 12 Explorer and put a clear bra on the front and hope that helps. If not I guess I'm in to repainting the front in the future!
2002 Dutchstar, Spartan Chassis, 350 Cummins, 2012 Explorer.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #27
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have towed my Saturn for approximately 45,000 miles and can honestly say that I have not noticed any damage from towing. I put a Bra on it when I first started towing it but found that dirt and grime was causing more damage to the paint than any towing I could do so I removed it and haven't had any issues since. JMHO of course
Del & Carol/Muffin & Satina (Pugs)
26 yrs Air Force, 22 Yrs Civil Service/2005 Bounder 35E, 8.1

1fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #28
Commercial Member
It's kind of like gas mileage, you want to do everything you can to avoid the cost of a repaint or broken windshield.
Start behind the dually wheels with long enough mud flaps (4" off the ground in drive height) to stop the rocks where they start. This will stop about 80% of the rocks.
Then look at the mud flap on the back to stop the other 20%. Just make sure it is not too close to the ground when in drive height. Should be at least 4" off the ground.
Then look at the protection screen that attaches to the tow bar to catch the rest if needed.
The only way to completely protect your toad is to enclose it in a trailer and never drive it

Nina, Grants Pass, OR
DuraFlap is offline   Reply With Quote