Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
How reliable are Jeep Wranglers?

I want to get one as a toad and a daily driver, so it will get a lot of use. I have heard so much bad press about Chrysler products.

IMPULSE DRIVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
Everybody has an opinion and like armpits they all smell. Chrysler products are no better or no worse than anything else. Some like us have had very good service, others not so. A Wrangler would likely make a good toad but as a daily driver, it would depend on your needs. They are hard riding on rough roads due to the short wheelbase and are not the best for trying to stay warm in northern winters.

RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:52 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2001 Wrangler Sport soft top. It has an inline 6, 5 speed tranny. I'm getting an average of about 18mpg. It rides like a truck. I wouldn't drive anything else. I have a Lincoln town car, (well it's the wifes) and an F250 4x4, and I grab the Jeep keys when I have to go somewhere. Gas millage is not great but it is one tough vehicle. It is just fun to drive, and its a great toad vehicle towed 4 down. I can hook it up and ready to take off in about 10 minutes or less. I have a Blue Ox tow bar and base plate with a Ready Brake system. That's a combination that works great for me.
Wayne, Diane, & Bentley (our 22 lb. alarm system)
02 Pace Arrow 37A-Workhorse, 01 Jeep Wrangler toad.
RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:32 PM   #4
No experience as a toad, but I owned a '95 wrangler (I know you're probably leaning towards something newer ) and that thing was bullet proof! I never did find anywhere I couldn't take it. Sure the ride was stiff, but the handling was great in tight spaces, and the mileage wasn't all that bad when I drove it nice. Quite a few of my friends have or have had various years and models of Jeeps, and I can't think of any of em that didn't like them.

As far as bad press goes, keep in mind that in general, people feel obligated to let everyone know when something doesn't go their way, but very few people go out of their way to let people know how good something is. Most people have a very negative opinion of the Chrysler (Dodge?) Neon's, but I can tell you the 2004 R/T my wife has is awesome! (We named it squirt 'cause that's all it takes to fill it up )

I probably wouldn't hesitate to buy one again...
2011 Zinger ZT26BH Pulled by
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
Midnite-CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:20 AM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
We looked at the Wrangler, but because of the poor ride on long distance drives, we went up to the 4X4 Jeep Liberty. Have had 3 so far and over 250,000 miles, just got the 3rd one last Friday and have been very happy with them.
We use it for everything and just got back from driving the beach, with the old one, in the Outer Banks, NC.
The biggest thing with 4-wheel drive vehicles is maintenance, we do not lease, we buy and make sure we maintain them. Most people who lease DO NOT take care of them and that's one of the reasons a lot of vehicles today have problems. I have a friend who told me "I never get the oil changed, just add oil if it needs it". That's why I will not buy used vehicles.
2005 KSDP 3910-----2007 Jeep Liberty

read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
We've had 4 Jeep toads. Two Wranglers, on Cherokee and one Grand C. All were/are great toads. The new Wranglers have much better ride/handling than past. 5 minute hookup and drive away. Make sure you get a 6 cylinder not a 4. Great choice.
2001 40' Beaver Thunder
2007 Chevy Silverado
Texas Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #7
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar
I have a 4wd 4dr Wrangler and it is great 38K miles driven and about 30K towed. Biggest complaint would be the wind noise at high speeds. Offset by the ability to pull panels from roof when out seeing the sights. Prior to this toad I had a 1999 2 dr 4 wd Wrangler with stick shift and 4 cyl. Again wind noise, but it would go anywhere I wanted. I put 70K miles driving and towed another 50K. Both my everyday car and toad. Very reliable and serviced regularly.
2008 Jeep Sahara '4Dr"
Ronnie Bledsoe
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #8
I just purchased a 2 door Wrangler Sport AUTOMATIC. Tows like a dream and easy to hook up. Just hook up, put transfer case in neutral, and go
SSliter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #9
Had a mid 90's rag top wrangler 4cyl manual. Solid as a rock, no mechanical issues what so ever. I'd do it again although I'd opt for 6 cyl and AC.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
We tow a 2006 Wrangler. I don't like the new model Wranglers; the 2006 is the last year for the "TJ's". The TJ is mostly old style Jeep and less Chrysler. It still uses the inline 6 engine which I prefer.
Yes, it rides a little harshly. Yes, it will go just about anywhere you would want to take it. You can park it in places most cars will not fit.
It tracks behind the Winnebago like it's on rails, and when we get where we're going we can drop the top and cruise!
n9iui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #11
We have an 04 Wrangler Sport with an automatic transmission. It has been towed over 60,000 miles and has another 30,000 on the odometer. It's never been in the shop for anything but routine maintenance. It's a fun vehicle to drive short distances and off road, but gets uncomfortable for long highway jaunts.

We have both the hard and soft tops but the soft top isn't used much. It's easier to keep cool in the summer and warm in the winter with the hard top. It regularly gets 90*F+ in the summers here and -20F* in the winter. It's comfortable in both extremes with the hard top. It's also a lot quieter and dryer inside with the hard top. It's hard to hear the radio or carry on a normal conversation with the soft top. I do have to admit it sure is fun to have the soft top or no top on warm sunny days or when off roading.

There is sufficient room for 2 adults, but the back seat is cramped for anything larger than a cocker spaniel (we have 2 of them). There isn't much room to carry anything beyond a small cooler and maybe a snow shovel for the winter months.
They have great traction and plenty of power (ours is the 4.0 straight 6) for speeds of 60 mph and lower. It lacks some get up and go when trying to travel at speeds of 70 mph+ to keep up with interstate highway traffic.

In short it's a fun vehicle to drive but doesn't ride like or have the room of a limo. We love ours and would never part with it. On the other hand we only use it for short trips or as a toad behind the motorhome where no cargo or towing capacity is required. For the bigger loads, longer trips, and heavy towing we use our Ford truck.
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #12
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will discuss the BIG 3 Auto makers.. Now understand I have driven Ford, GM nd Chrysler products

Every Ford I had died young in my opinion.. The engines lost oil pressure s they aged, Requiring a major overhaul at around 150,000 miles

GM's did much better in this, often going 200,000 or more. I was a GM fan however the CEO of GM stood up and said the Government (Federal) should slap a buck a gallon tax on gasonline to encourge people to buy the Chevy Volt... That more or less electrouted my opniion of GM.

That leaves Chrysler, I"ve also driven them into the ground at a millage comparable with GM. In fact they died of other causes. (IE: Idiot who stopped at the red light I was alredy stopped at causing car to suffer a drug overdose (he was driver for drug store))

So, if I ever buy a new car. It will be a Jeep.. Used, Jeeps have the "Front row" on my search list. Alas, it will be a while before I get one though. b
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #13
2007 4 door. 56,000 mile. Owned since new. Had some early issues and Chrysler reliability is suspect but I would own nothing else. A 4wd in winter, a convertible in summer. Gas mileage so-so but 15 around tonw 18-20 hiway. Cool parts to fix it up. I was always a Corvette guy until I owned this. My top was down since mid June and just went up today due to storms coming. My Vette has only been out twice.
sciguy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:11 AM   #14
Had a 2001 Wrangler in-line 6 with a 5 speed. 100k driven maybe 20K towed. Loved it. wifes' knees got bad so we traded it in on a 2005 Liberty Limited automatic. So far driven 130K towed 10-15K. This model seems to eat front end parts every couple of years but its never been stuck and we've taken it to some pretty out of the way places. For what it's worth the Liberty is a much more civilized "around town" vehicle.

Have the Best Day You Can

Grumpy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote