Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2009, 06:19 AM   #1
rek

How sharp a turn with tow dolly?

I am sure there are some members in this forum that use this same Model Dolly and I would be greatful if they could tell me if this is a problem. I bought a tow dolly from camping world. It is the less expensive Roadmaster model RM3477 that has the 9degree swivel of the wheel platform. Roadmaster says don't make sharp turns but how sharp? Can I hitch on the street and tow out of our neighborhood or should we drive somewhere like a Walmart parking lot to load the car. I e-mailed Roadmaster asking the question and they said I shouldn't tow through our neighborhood if the turns are sharp. But what is a sharp turn? You could be making these same sharp turns pulling into RV Park. Thanks for replies.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2009, 09:43 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I would think you would have to try it in a parking lot to be able to tell. My guess would be it will take a 90 degree turn, but not a U-turn. I suppose that in a U-turn, you could hit the side of the dolly against the bumper of the MH.

Remember that if you go wide in a turn, to come back in line, you are at a greater than 90 degree angle.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:48 AM   #3

IMHO

I would not worry about it at all in normal driving. Without getting into it too much (as if I could), the angle of the dolly tongue in relation to the towing vehicle has a lot to do with turning radius.

If you did/do have to make a u turn and are worried, you could always unlock the steering during these low speed maneuvers to make a third pivot point (towing vehicle/tongue of dolly, platform swivel, and toad steering) . In this case, if it is an EXTREME u turn watch out for the side of the car meeting the fender of th dolly.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can always lengthen the tow bar to give yourself more clearance
and reduce the fear of jackknifing.
With modification you could make the tow bar telescopic with pins.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I doubt if you could turn sharply enough moving forward in normal driving to ever cause a problem. In another words, turning a typical city street corner should not be an issue. Attempting a U turn or something like that could be problematic, but there are so many variables it is impossible to predict. draw bar length, rear overhang on the coach and coach wheel cut (turning radius) are three of the major ones.

To put your fears at rest, go a big parking lot and make some turns. Stop 1/2-3/4 of the way through and go look at the dolly, so you have some feel for if and how close it comes. Or bring an observer you trust, though your own eyeballs are the best in forming a lasting impression in your own mind. You probably don't even need the car on it to run some tests.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
rek

I may not have anything to worry about. Our neighborhood streets are barely wide enough for cars to pass but they were wide enough to drive our 5er around. Thanks for replies. I was hoping that someone who tows with the same dolly could also post a comment.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:51 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Tow Dolly from Camping World

Interested to see this post as we have been mulling over thoughts of buying that same tow dolly and importing it into Canada. After some research as to what is required and various fees and costs and exchange rates, we would still appear to save ourselves $800 - $1000 over the cheapest one we could buy here.
Roger, how do you like the dolly? would be interested to hear your thoughts.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:31 AM   #8
rek

bigena,
It seems to be a good dolly for the money. Not counting tires and wheel bearings the only maintenance item is that you have to grease the slides that it swivels on. We will not be using it for some time because they asked me to come back to work so all camping will be local for now. You can get at Camping World for around $1500.