Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
How to calculate added value of tow eqpt on used toad

I'm toad shopping and know how to use various resources to calculate how much to offer on the car itself. But, since it's already fully equipped to be towed and all the equipment comes with the deal... how do I figure what the total offer should be ?

Tow equipment includes:
Blackhawk All Terrain Tow Bar
Guardian Tow Shield
Hidden Tow Brackets
All cables, connectors, instructions, etc
Transferrable extended warranty on Invisibrake

This is quite a package from what little I know ( I R A beginner)... and I don't want to come off as a total dummy when I make my offer. The tow equipment is only around a year old.

Thanks for all ideas !

Livin' the Bucket List !
2005 Winnebago Sightseer 34A
Ridin' Shotgun: Tazzie, Kali, and MeeSo(sweet)
flg8r70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Depends! If he were trading it end it would not be worth much. A lot of dealers will remove the base plate. They seem to think it lowers the value as you have no idea of how far it has been pulled. If it is for sale at an RV dealer he will want top $$. Google the replacement cost of the tow eqpt. and try an offer of 50% + the car value. All he can do is say NO or Yes.

04 Horizon QD, 12 Ford Flex, Excalibar, Brake-Pro, ,, Winter Texan, RVin! since 1974
Norm, Donna & Tinker Kat 74 MGB-GT, 75 MGB, 01 Z3
Life is a Timed Event, you only get One Go Around!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
That's a good idea. It gives me a place to start. I hate negotiating but it's a necessary evil.

Thanks for your reply !
Livin' the Bucket List !
2005 Winnebago Sightseer 34A
Ridin' Shotgun: Tazzie, Kali, and MeeSo(sweet)
flg8r70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Unless the seller knows you want to tow the car, I'd offer only what the car is worth to you. You'd be taking the towing equipment off his hands and not charging him for doing it. Options like this are not worth much in the market place. The value of the towing package is what may have brought you to consider the vehicle. That is what the value is, it brings customers to take a look. There is no real value to be added to the car because of the added wear and tear of being towed, by the current owner.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
As stated, some would consider it a negative and probably skip that car because it was towed and 'rocked' up front More stuff means more things to go wrong !

They do not need to know you want it for a toad... in fact, what if the 'upgrades' won't work for your situation.... they would be worth pennies on the dollar if sold outright...
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:00 AM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
Towing equipment to anyone other than an RV'r is a complete turn off. The average person is afraid that towing will have caused damage/wear. However; if I was out shopping for used tow equipment I would be expecting to probably pay around $800 for all that equipment and then pay to have it installed.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)
2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ , ISL 400
2014 Ford Explorer toad
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
Fleetwood Owners Club
Look at the classified ads here on iRV2. You may not see the same exact equipment. But as others have said, you will know what it is worth to YOU, not the dealer selling it.

If you have already played your hand and told the dealer you are interested in a vehicle because it has the towing pkg, you will end up paying more than it is worth. That's just the way it is with car dealers today.

David & Gail Salisbury, NC
2003 American Eagle 42'
denochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
It's sorta like selling a truck with a 5th wheel hitch installed. If I'm selling it to another RVer to tow a 5th wheel, it has some value. If I'm selling it to anyone else, it tends to be a negative because they want a "mall queen" truck that has never worked, not one that has obviously towed something to earn its keep.

Assuming the tow equipment is in good condition, 50% of new isn't a bad value to assign if you want to put a value on it. Discounting installation costs, you'd only be paying perhaps 25% to 30% of new at that rate. That's consistent with the value of hitches, wiring, etc. that I'd be willing to pay if I were in the market for a used tow vehicle (truck).

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
Interesting - looking for a toad and finding one already equipped. But then not knowing (or worse yet knowing) what the car has been thru. If I was looking just for the car and saw all that crap on the front end I would walk away or offer several thousand less. If the owner is selling it out right you gotta be the only on interested in the toad eq.

This would make a great case study as the product for sale is worth more to you but worth much less on the open market.

Lol - it would be hard to argue that it is worth less because it was a toad but then ask for all the towing eq. Or would it??

Good luck.

tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

buy used, offer, toad, tow equipment, used toad price