Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #1

How to handle enclosed trailer tongue weight

I have an 2002 Winni Adventurer 37G with the Workhorse chassis. Tow rating 5,000lbs with 500 tongue weight. Problem is I need to tow a 20ft enclosed trailer loaded with four motorcycles. Gross weight will be right at about 5,000lbs but tongue weight will be closer to 800lbs due to weight of bikes in the front of the trailer. I have heard of a "dolly" that carries the tongue weight of the trailer instead of the tow vehicle but can't find any info on it online. Any suggestions short of buying a diesel pusher?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Try Here 2012 Trailer Toad 3500 HD

Spendy! Can you not move some of the load to the rear of the trailer and still keep 10-15% tongue weight?

rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
Try Here 2012 Trailer Toad 3500 HD

Spendy! Can you not move some of the load to the rear of the trailer and still keep 10-15% tongue weight?
I tried. No way to fit all four comfortably in anything less than a 20 footer. Two in the rear, two up front. I'm talking large Harley's and touring bikes.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:24 AM   #4

I have a 20' Interstate enclosed for my mid engine sandrail and weigh right at 5k also. Not sure what my tongue weight is, but plan on getting it checked next trip. I moved some heavy things to my motorhome or decided I didn't really need to take them.

Do you have a weight distribution hitch? That will take some of the weight off the tongue. If you check with an RV dealer, they may have a used one they will sell you. Get it weighed and take it to a professional hitch installer and have yours beefed up. My buddy did, but hes is pulling a 28'r. Have them also check the used hitch if you get one.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #5

X2. Lots of people use weight distributing hitches. Go to any kind of automotive event where there are enclosed trailers, and almost every one will have this type of hitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I have a 20' Interstate enclosed for my mid engine sandrail and weigh right at 5k also. Not sure what my tongue weight is, but plan on getting it checked next trip. I moved some heavy things to my motorhome or decided I didn't really need to take them.

Do you have a weight distribution hitch? That will take some of the weight off the tongue. If you check with an RV dealer, they may have a used one they will sell you. Get it weighed and take it to a professional hitch installer and have yours beefed up. My buddy did, but hes is pulling a 28'r. Have them also check the used hitch if you get one.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:20 AM   #6

I'm pretty sure I'm under the 500/5000 limits of my hitch, but I didn't like the idea of a 11" drop
hitch hanging down there so I made this out of some chromoly tie rods and chromoly rod ends.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
X2. Lots of people use weight distributing hitches. Go to any kind of automotive event where there are enclosed trailers, and almost every one will have this type of hitch.
It is my understanding that most class A's are not meant to use weight distributing hitches due to the chassis not being long enough and the MH manufacturer having to extend the frame behind the rear axle. This frame extension is not designed to work with a weight distributing hitch. Some of the MH's I looked at were limited to only 350lbs tongue weight and the frame extension was done using just angle iron. At least my 37G has channel iron for the frame extension, good but still not as beefy as the original frame. In the specs and on the hitch label it limits tongue weight to 500lbs and excludes the use of weight distributing hitches. The toad would take almost all the stress off the MH frame or maybe a good weld shop can beef up the frame to handle it. A diesel pusher with the freightliner chassis is made to handle big tow loads. That's on my wish list for next time...

I saw photos of a MH that overloaded the hitch and ripped out the rear frame, did not look pretty. This guy tried to do what I want to but did not do anything about the extra tongue weight.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #8

It all depends. My 99 Beaver DP has a 5000 lb hitch, and the frame behind it is twice the size of my GMC 2500 HD. The Hitch has the receiver butt-welded to the crossbar, most likely to improve ground clearance.

If the frame is stout, the limit is probably the hitch design, and that's just a couple hundred bucks to fix.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I'm pretty sure I'm under the 500/5000 limits of my hitch, but I didn't like the idea of a 11" drop
hitch hanging down there so I made this out of some chromoly tie rods and chromoly rod ends.

We have always "heard" that drilling into the frame of a vehicle was a bad thing to do. I looked it up and here is a copy from the Dodge Ram website.
Holes are NOT to be drilled in the top or bottom of the frame rails. Holes to mount out-riggers, brackets, and supports must be drilled in the web (vertical sides) of the frame rail with the following restrictions:
1) No holes should exceed 20 mm (0.75 inch) in diameter.
2) Material between edge of hole and top or bottom of the frame rail must not be less than 40 mm (1.60 inches).
3) The minimum edge distance between any two (2) holes must be larger than twice the diameter of the larger hole.
4) Any thru fastener that torques down on both external surfaces of the rail must use an internal spacer to prevent crushing the rail tube.
5) All holes should be drilled in the frame using appropriate drilling practice and safety precaution.
6) Avoid drilling holes near the fuel tank, fuel and brake lines and other lines and wires to avoid damage to them.

So, just wondering if that applies only to RAM vehicles or should be applied as a general prohibition to every case?
Old 09-30-2012, 09:55 PM   #10

Having two Ram pickups, I have a factory service manual(FSM) and read that too. I totally agree. So..... is it ok if I used two existing holes in the frame that the factory put there?
Old 09-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #11

been a long time since i've towed a trailer. but sounds like you need to reload the trailer as to closer balance it, or are your axles to far back on the trailer and thats why you have so much tongue weight. if you can't rebalance you might think about taking something out of your tow vehicle and put it in the back of the trailer.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #12

He's already right at his 5k hitch rating.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:48 AM   #13

if he can't reload to shift the load. gvw (in this case the trailers) is the only real set weight. all other ratings have a built in safety factor. adding a couple hundred lbs. to the rear to lessen tongue weight shouldn't effect any thing. remember he's can take the weight off the tow vehicle, so total weight won't be going up.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:42 AM   #14

You could move the trailer axles a little forward. This would lighten the tongue.

Tags
weight