Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:29 PM   #1

How to Load/unload your toad?

I have a 24' Fleetwood Class C RV and have just purchased both a Mini Cooper S, as my towed vehicle.....and a Dolly. Next week will be my 1st attempt to tow the Mini.
The hook up and tow away of the Mini & Dolly seem to be easy. I just hook up the Dolly to the RV....drive the Mini on...secure the front wheels with the belts provided....then drive away.
Now, help me picture how I'm to unload. Do I back the RV (w/ the Dolly & Toad still attached) into the Camping site? I don't have yet a back-up camera. Or, do I drive the Mini off the Dolly.... unhook the Dolly from the RV....set it aside...then back up the RV?
Once I'm in place, what do I do with the Dolly? I can man-handle it....but, it's still an effort to move it by hand for any distant.
How do you do it?
Emmett

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2015, 04:41 PM   #2

You do not back up the setup! Pull it to a comfortable place and unload the mini then park the rig unless you are using a pull through site.

I just checked. You can get a trailer hitch for the Mini Cooper. I would get a light duty hitch so you can use the mini to move the dolly if you are going any distance. That gives you the option of unhitching at the gate, in a campground parking lot or in the road by your site. Hook the dolly on the mini and park the dolly at the back of the MH pad. Back the MH into the site then park the car in front of the MH. Everything on site probably faster than it took me to type this. ;-)

When leaving pull the MH forward, hook on the dolly then pull into the road and load the car. Don't forget to check the straps after the first couple of turns or stops.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:51 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If your Mini is a standard transmission you can probably tow it on the ground with no dolly in the future.

I have no experience using dollys, so I can't help you there but our 2008 Mini was a 6 speed manual trans and we towed it on the ground using BlueOx equipment. I also know people towing newer Mini's with manual trans.

Our current Mini is an Automatic and can not be towed 4 down so it gets put inside our trailer for towing.
Norm Mac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:08 PM   #4

I put a Harbor Freight 4 or 6 inch caster wheel, just behind the dollys foot, near the hitch.

We drop it off the MH and wife and I each take a fender and push it anywhere.

Funny thing is it tries to roll away sometimes. We have to chock the wheels.

Most times we push it in the MH spot and back the MH over the tongue so the fenders are just about touching the rear bumper.

I have backed the unloaded dolly into some sites but it can be tricky since I can hardly see it.

With the car on, I have backed a few feet, when in a tight spot but any distance will get things going different ways. That could start over stressing stuff.

I check the straps every stop.

Like you I don't have a 40 ft A, that can tow a car trailer.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:33 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
We pull an accord wagon on a tow master dolly, easy on easy off. I drive it on, strap the front wheels, hook up the safety chains, plug in the car lights and go. The reverse to unload. In a back in site, I push the dolly in first and back in front of it.
Good luck
Mrfix
Old 12-15-2015, 06:30 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I also have a master tow dolly and agree with mrfix with regards to ease of use. I installed a trailer hitch on my toad in case I have to park the dolly in a storage area or use it to back it in at my site. I try to get pull thru sites if possible. And do not attempt to back up with a loaded dolly.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:16 PM   #7

Carolina Campers
How to Load/unload your toad?

When I towed with a dolly, I would always unload the car, unhook the dolly push it to the spot I wanted it, then back into the site. Now, with a bad back and a bit older, I switched to four down towing. I never have the issue of where to store the dolly, checking the straps (which always came lose over a few miles), loading, unloading, servicing that extra set of tires and axel, etc, etc... Time will convince you of the benefits of flat towing.

Good luck and happy trails!

Ted & Kathleen
Old 12-16-2015, 09:37 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You missed a step in loading and no you do not back it up. In this dolly tow is like 4 down, you do not back it up.

The step you missed.. Read your manual to find teh recommended distance.. After a short drive stop and re-check the tire straps. They sometimes come loose.

Now. To unload.. First back the Mini off the dolly, then you can back in with JUST the dolly or you can wrestle the dolly to storage spot or if you have a hitch on the mini you can use it to move the dolly.. The mini should be able to tow the dolly at park speeds.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:06 AM   #9
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Unless you are really, really good, odds are you will not be able to back the TOAD and dolly into your spot. (The TOAD tries to go one way and the dolly tries to go the other)

As others have recommended, you'll most likely need to take the TOAD off the dolly, and disconnect the dolly from the MH.

You could back up the MH with just the dolly connected, but usually if you go to the trouble of removing the TOAD, its now just a couple more minutes to disconnect the dolly. (Backing the MH with just the dolly is certainly possible, but will require a little practice.)

I normally just disconnect the dolly from the MH and move it by hand.

ALSO - As others have said, having a small hitch receiver on the back of the TOAD is great if you need to transport the dolly or move it around using the TOAD. I highly recommend this.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsailorboy View Post
I have a 24' Fleetwood Class C RV and have just purchased both a Mini Cooper S, as my towed vehicle.....and a Dolly. Next week will be my 1st attempt to tow the Mini.
The hook up and tow away of the Mini & Dolly seem to be easy. I just hook up the Dolly to the RV....drive the Mini on...secure the front wheels with the belts provided....then drive away.
Now, help me picture how I'm to unload. Do I back the RV (w/ the Dolly & Toad still attached) into the Camping site? I don't have yet a back-up camera. Or, do I drive the Mini off the Dolly.... unhook the Dolly from the RV....set it aside...then back up the RV?
Once I'm in place, what do I do with the Dolly? I can man-handle it....but, it's still an effort to move it by hand for any distant.
How do you do it?
Emmett
Get one of these dolly wheels that will make life easier.
http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower...ds=tongue+jack

If you have not hooked up your car before you need to have someone show you the proper way. If it is not too late take the dolly back and tow 4 down.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:35 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
1st of all, never backup a tow dolly if it has a vehicle on it. You might get away backing up a couple of feet but anymore than that can turn ugly quick.
I tow a Mini Countryman on a tow dolly and put a trailer dolly in the back of the Mini to move the dolly around after you unload the vehicle. When at the campsite I store the trailer dolly under the motorhome out of the way.
Link to Trailer >>>
Old 12-19-2015, 08:50 AM   #12

my Dinghy

Thanks all for your quick response.
I believe we're ready to go!!
Emmett
aka txsailorboy

Tags
toad