Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:28 PM   #15
Tiffin Owners Club
Pilot/Flying J put out a pamphlet that shows the locations of their stations and also if they have an RV lane. Some of the RV lanes are a little tight but better than most regular pump islands... and some have dump stations and propane.

You can find the pamphlet at most of the stations. Camping World credit cards usually get a small discount.

Larry and Prissy Sharp
2006 Allegro Bay 37DB
2012 Toyota Yaris
LarrytheBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2016, 05:25 AM   #16
Pilot/Flying J USED to print a monthly magazine that listed all the stations with a chart that showed those with RV lanes. They quit about a year ago. You can access their web site and get the same info, just not as easy as the book. Prior to a days travel, I research the potential sites along the way and as has been suggested, don't wait till empty to start looking. Since I have 100 gallon fuel tank and a 25 gallon bladder, stopping early is no problem for us anyway. Gas buddy is a great resource too.

2007 Itasca Horizon 40FD, 2015 Harley Davidson FLHTKL, 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
drwwicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:32 AM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
X2 on the Next Exit. RV friendly stations are highlighted for both gas and diesel.
Charlie Tuit, 2002 Journey, 32T, XL7 toad
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:36 AM   #18
Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
With Next exit and my Streets & Trips MS software I always try finding a Flying J or a Pilot gas station to fill up; if not, Loves gas stations are pretty well set up also.
I have this 38 footer towing a car since 2010 and I've never unhook to gas or to get out out of a gas a station, I guess it all depends how I plan my entry and my exit.
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:57 AM   #19
The "My Pilot" app for smart phones replaced the pamphlet for us. Easy to use and provides all of the same info. And, yes, we have run into Pilot stations that were tight and passed them by, the Flying J's tend to be more gasser friendly than Pilots in my experience. Like anything else, though, nothing is foolproof.

Is there a "next exit" app? Sounds a bit like "road ninja" but I don't think road ninja gives you info on RV friendly gas stations, does it?
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:33 AM   #20
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you find a station that you can drive thru with the MH without backing the toad should follow without any problem. Over the last 20 years I have observed that with my rigs the toad always follows within the space swept by the MH no matter how shallow or sharp the turn is.

2006 Sea Breeze LX 8341 on a Workhorse W22 Chassis with 22.5 Alcoa Alum wheels,
2011 Chevy Colorado 4X4 with Ready Brake
Glenn and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:07 AM   #21
The "RV Friendly" designation in Next Exit has nothing to do with access to the pumps. If you read the front of the book, it says the RV Friendly is about PARKING. I have been to some supposedly RV Friendly stations that were a nightmare for for a 30 foot motorhome towing a car.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:16 AM   #22
A few things we learned and observed during our first year of RVing with regard to gas stations.

First, start off everyday with a full tank so most of the time you'll proably be good to get to your next destination without having to fill up. However, we do like to fill up with about a 1/2 tank so well usually fill up mid trip too.

For mid trip fill ups, either watch for Flying J signs that note they have an RV island, and / or plan to get off at rural locations where land is not a premium and you often find the stations have much more room to maneuver with the road. And, often it seems these locations also have the pumps parallel to the road.

As for filling up at the end of the day, we'll usually plan to fill up near where we will be staying, so not really concerned about having to unhook the toad if necessary and just drive it separately the last few miles to our desintstion.

And, as you drive more, you'll get more comfortable with maneuvering in tighter spots. However, one of us will be outside providing guidance to ensure we do not clip something..... Better safe than inflicting body damage due to over confidence.

Good luck!
2015 Tiffin Allegro 31SA, 24k chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:32 PM   #23

If I cannot see a way out I do not pull in. Has worked so far for us. Almost 20,000 miles this year.
Steve and Sharon
2016 Tiffin Allegro RED 38 QBA
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited, Blue Ox
Addisons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:38 PM   #24
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2 Addisons

Dan Callahan, North Jersey
2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
Freightliner, Cummins, Allison

It's not the Destination or the Journey
It's the Excursion
DebnDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:46 PM   #25
I would never use google maps or anything else to get fuel. I would just head to wherever we were going then once i reach half tank or a little less I would start considering getting fuel. Once I was at 1/4 tank I would hit every exit I could....

I wouldn't say most can hold a RV, for me I would say maybe half could ft us in. +38ft RV plus wrangler unlimited. Possibly a little easier for you due to not being as tall, that 2ft less height makes it a lot easier

We would also mark in the atlas where gas is so next time we were in that area we knew where we could fill up.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:59 PM   #26
Originally Posted by smasiello View Post
I hope this isn't a dumb question.

Some time ago I got the equipment hooked up to be able to tow my VW Jetta behind my motor home (Coachmen Freelander 32BH) and at the time was so excited to start towing my car behind the RV for family trips for me, my wife, and 3 young daughters. My biggest fear, and one that has kept me from actually hooking up the car for tow on a trip, is that I am concerned about being able to find gas stations that have enough room for me to be able to maneuver the MH and the toad. I feel like I lose a lot of flexibility on where I can gas up with my Jetta in tow.

With my MH I generally get about 250-275 miles before I need to gas up without towing. Is there a planner that I can use that helps to identify gas stations that have enough room to maneuver MHs and toads? Are there sites that review for such things? Can someone help put this (relatively) new RV and new tower's mind at ease?

Thanks in advance!
Try Google maps street view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (3).jpg
Views:	36
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	119128  
critter210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:37 PM   #27
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
There is a great site. Www.freetrip.com. Particularly if you are a Good Sam member. All kinds of options when printing your trip plan, including fuel stations for RV and even average prices. Mike, Mike markers, rest area. I always print out my trip plan and have a hard copy when my GPS and IPad is giving me fuzzy information
2007 Newmar KSDP. 3912
2010 Nissan Frontier SE
DGBPokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:39 PM   #28
I have the My Pilot app. What I learned is that almost every Flying J has RV lanes, very few(if any) Pilot have RV lanes. With as many RV'ers on the road, you would think gas stations would change the layout in new stations.

2014 Bounder 35K
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Medic57 is offline   Reply With Quote

gas, toad