Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2019, 05:53 AM   #1

How to prevent the Death Wobble in a Jeep?

We are looking at purchasing a Jeep Wrngler for our TOAD. What would I look for in order to prevent the Death Wobble and if it occurs what is done to remedy the situation? I had a Ford pickup that would sometime shake violently, so I assume this problem is somewhat similar.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2019, 05:58 AM   #2

Normally front track bar on frame side passenger. Any swearing part that showed loose.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:13 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You may not have to fix it,

unless you do suspension changes and larger tires and
(like most of us do !)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0089.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	247291  
Old 05-26-2019, 09:00 AM   #4

There are many threads trying to answer this question on Wrangler.com. In general, some believe that the bolts holding the control arms have threaded bodies that help to deteriorate the bushings. Some people are replacing the threaded bolts with solid body bolts to eliminate the added wear. If the bushings are already damaged, the bushing replacement would also be needed. There could also be other causes, but this one is talked about a lot.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcpl View Post
We are looking at purchasing a Jeep Wrngler for our TOAD. What would I look for in order to prevent the Death Wobble and if it occurs what is done to remedy the situation? I had a Ford pickup that would sometime shake violently, so I assume this problem is somewhat similar.

What year Wrangler are you thinking of buying?

Different years have different causes for DW and of course different fixes.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:23 AM   #6

I just spent several months and hundreds of dollars trying to fix the dreaded death wobble on my 2000 Jeep Wrangler.

It ended up being a bad end on my front track bar. Which was not detectable while the track bar was on the vehicle.

Generally speaking, death wobble is caused by a worn part but exaggerated by some other things in the front suspension.

Tie rod ends
Bushings
Track bar ends
Wheel balance
Alignment

Death Wobble is not specific or limited to modified vehicles.
But as vehicle suspensions are changed, so does the geometry of the system and is then vulnerable to problems associated with Death Wobble.

Google Jeep Death Wobble. You will find enough reading to last you till Christmas.

Bottom line. Something’s worn out and needs replacement.

Good luck on your search.
Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrflie View Post
I just spent several months and hundreds of dollars trying to fix the dreaded death wobble on my 2000 Jeep Wrangler.

It ended up being a bad end on my front track bar. Which was not detectable while the track bar was on the vehicle.

Generally speaking, death wobble is caused by a worn part but exaggerated by some other things in the front suspension.

Tie rod ends

Bushings

Track bar ends

Wheel balance

Alignment

Death Wobble is not specific or limited to modified vehicles.

But as vehicle suspensions are changed, so does the geometry of the system and is then vulnerable to problems associated with Death Wobble.

Google Jeep Death Wobble. You will find enough reading to last you till Christmas.

Bottom line. Something’s worn out and needs replacement.

Good luck on your search.

How could it have possibly taken that long and that much $$$ to figure out. The bushings on the track bar is the #1 cause of death wobble on a TJ. Its the very first place to look and only takes 10 minutes to remove and inspect.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
How could it have possibly taken that long and that much $$$ to figure out. The bushings on the track bar is the #1 cause of death wobble on a TJ. Its the very first place to look and only takes 10 minutes to remove and inspect.
I had already replaced the lower trackbar bushing with polyurethane and drilled out the factory mount to accept a larger bolt. The upper end is a tie rod end.

There was absolutely no play in the track bar, with the vehicle on the ground or front end suspended. It even passed the steering wheel play test. It simply showed no signs of being loose. Other items showed signs of wear or play and were replaced in stages so that I could figure out exactly what part was responsible for the wobble.
I also didn’t work on it day in and day out. It’s not my daily driver.
Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:28 PM   #9

Best way is not tow a Jeep...

Here is a link to over 600 threads on the death wobble. https://www.google.com/search?q=%22d...earch=irv2.com
Old 05-26-2019, 05:58 PM   #10

No end of products called "Jeep" with death wobble stories, but a Wrangler? This thread is the first I've heard of it, certainly not on an unmodified one. Wranglers must constitute close to half of the toads out there based on what I see. Maybe the Wrangler experts will enlighten us with death wobble stories galore???
Old 05-27-2019, 06:18 AM   #11
RV LIFE Support Team

1. Why does the DW appear limited to Jeep?

2. Why doesn't Jeep do something to fix it if no one else has the problem?

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
1. Why does the DW appear limited to Jeep?

2. Why doesn't Jeep do something to fix it if no one else has the problem?
Why do folks insist on using a term like "Jeep"?

There are probably more than 2 dozen different models and configurations of "Jeep". Very few ever have anything that could be described as "death wobble".

Front end wobble is definitely not "limited to Jeep(s)" of any kind.

Inaccurate information provided by folks who don't know is the cause of most misunderstandings about problems.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:49 AM   #13
RV LIFE Support Team

Because Jeep is the brand name, like Ford, Dodge and Chevy. What else would you call it?

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:21 AM   #14

How to prevent the Death Wobble in a Jeep?

Wranglers do not seem to be prone to the Death Wobble. It is more common it the Cherokee line up. If you google you can find out about the DW in GM and Ford products too.
Vongreg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent