Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:17 AM   #15

Sorry, no install tips. I had ours Air Force 1 professionally installed. I know my limits - smile.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2016, 09:17 AM   #16

Jerry - here is another approach. When we took the free RV coach driving course in at Lazy Days in Tampa, they taught us about "hips" and "dots" for navigating turns. The hips is for making most turns. Pull the coach forward until the point to be missed is even with the driver's hip (sign, corner, car in the lane parallel to that onto which you are turning, etc). Then cut your wheels all the way in the direction you want to go. Then watch your mirror to be sure you got it right. The "dot" is for "T" intersections. Have someone place an object 6' in front of the coach. Put a dot on the windshield where you see the object when in normal driving position. At the T intersection, pull forward until the dot is at the far side of the cross road, and turn wheels sharply to proceed. Of course, when you have lots of turning room, you don't have to be as precise. FYI - for my coach, the dot would be where my windshield wipers are - so I just use them instead of a dot. Hope some of this is helpful. PS - the instructor also told us - no matter how good you become at turns, you will make an embarrassing/frustrating mistake some day, and have to unhook in the middle of traffic while other vehicles inform you of their displeasure. He said: "keep calm, apologize, and carry on - you will probably never see any of those drivers again".
Rob More

Old 06-04-2016, 04:31 PM   #17

Rob,

Great ideas. You reminded me I took the LD driving courses on line some years ago. Guess I should redo that.

I still believe if I get caught on a street needing to turn right onto a 2-lane street, and there's a car in the lane opposite from the lane I'm trying to get in to, with my Jeep and 61' total, I'm SOL. Hopefully, I'll see that before trying and just keep,going to,another way.

I've seen HDT's turn from the outside lane to a 2-lane street. They either swing left into the inside lane first, or they turn using the oncoming traffic lane of the 2-lane street. I've been "that other car" before and I was able to back up and give my lane to the trucker. If I had not or could not, he would have been stuck in the intersection half-turned and half-not.

After thinking about your post, I may have much more to learn from the 5-er folks than I thought.

Jerry
Old 06-04-2016, 06:03 PM   #18

How to Pull a Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles View Post
I've seen HDT's turn from the outside lane to a 2-lane street. They either swing left into the inside lane first, or they turn using the oncoming traffic lane of the 2-lane street. I've been "that other car" before and I was able to back up and give my lane to the trucker. If I had not or could not, he would have been stuck in the intersection half-turned and half-not.
Our LD instructor said in this situation to be calm, wait patiently, the light will change, the car will leave, and you will continue on your way.

With respect to camera angle, I like being able to see that the hitch is intact. A fellow RVer described how he was annoyed at that guy on his rear bumper trying to pass, only to realize that was his toad with one pin missing. I also like to be able to see the hitch and bumper when backing to stop exactly before the obstacle without any guessing. I suppose that without a dual camera system, you have to decide if the camera is a toad/back-up monitor or a rear view mirror.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:47 AM   #19

Tie a white sock to the top of the steering wheel. You can then see it move in the rear camera when you turn.
Old 07-30-2016, 09:30 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Has anyone left their toad engine running while towing?

I am towing a 2014 CRV behind my Newmar. I will have items in the CRV that need to stay cool. Do you guys see any problem with leaving the Transmission in neutral with the engine running? This should also provide more lubrication to the transmission. I will certainly use gas but with the CRV in neutral, shouldn't be a heck of a lot. Thoughts????
Old 07-31-2016, 09:18 AM   #21

You're not supposed to make your wife ride in the toad...

Tags
toad