Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:50 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
How to tell hitch rating

The tag on my hitch has come off, it wasn't there when I bought the Moho, it has the 2" receiver and bolts up the the bottom of the frame with 3 bolts on ea end. Its a Fleetwood Class C, 1989 as it says in my signature. I am assuming it is a class lll because of the 2" receiver but not all class lll hitches are rated the same, some are 3500 lb capacity and some are alot higher. Thanks for any help. It is attached at the same location and uses the same bolts as the skid bars on the Ford E350 frame.

RBeau1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2015, 06:26 AM   #2
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is how I find stuff like this:

Climb under the MH and look very carefully at the hitch, how its mounted, the cross bar, support, etc, maybe take a couple pictures.

Next, Google: "motorhome trailer hitch"

When the results pop up, look just below where you typed in the search. You should see text similar to this:

"web shopping images videos maps more"

(They may be in different order) Click on the "images".

Go through the images and find the one that matches yours. Pay attention to the details as the hitches will look similar, but details like how many bolt holes, chain hole shape and location, etc.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:35 AM   #3

I found a towing rating sticker in the rear closet of my 2000, E450, 30 ft. class C.

Because of the frame rail extensions, it is rated for 3500 lbs.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:48 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the responses. I want to figure out how I can tow 7500 lbs.
RBeau1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:00 PM   #5

I think your going to need a Class A or Diesel pusher
Old 04-20-2015, 07:34 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow! 7500-lbs with a 350-Ford? That is a challenge. You can google "Ford towing capacity" for their truck ratings for different types of towing, but, honestly, with the weight you already have for your camper, it will leave you very little for such a tow load.

Remember, with a truck (which a Class-C happens to be) he major differences in a 150, 250,350 is the designed in strength of the rear frame, chassis, rear axles, etcetera, with the power of the engine and strength of the brakes, thrown in to handle the "down the road" load.

You can put that kind of load on a trailer (4-wheeled, of course), but I suspect that you will find that managing such an extra load (pulling, stopping, handling under adverse conditions) on the rear of your 350 Class-C will be very dangerous, if you tried. And, it will probably be illegal in most states.

As TwinBoat said, towing that kind of load, is best done with a larger and more powerful Class-A, and typically one with a dual rear axle.

Sorry, Ramblingdon