Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2016, 12:44 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
How to tell what baseplate I have

So we got a deal on a stowmaster 5000. But, um, I have no clue what vehicle the baseplate goes with. Is there an easy way to tell? Can't find any marking.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 07:49 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Try giving Roadmaster a call. Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories
They are in Vancouver Wa. Don't know any more but in the past you could take your tow bar to them and they would even do a free tune up on it. They did mine while I waited.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:38 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I figured I would have to call. I was just hoping I missed something.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasOregon View Post
So we got a deal on a stowmaster 5000. But, um, I have no clue what vehicle the baseplate goes with. Is there an easy way to tell? Can't find any marking.
DallasOregon
With the "proper adapters" the Roadmaster "Stowmaster 5000 tow bar" can be used with any brand of base plate.
Send a photo of your base plate to Roadmaster and they will sell you the necessary adapters".
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 04:26 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok, I have emailed them pics and what vehicle I hope to attach to.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:07 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Uh, you can adapt a base plate to a different brand of tow bar, but you cannot realistically adapt it to a non-matching vehicle. Each base plate is designed to fit a certain vehicle frame and mounting position, so they are not interchangeable. Sometimes even the same year/make/model of vehicle will have different base plates, depending on different drive trail or trim option.

So the base plates you got with the tow bar are probably worthless to you unless you are planning on buying a matching vehicle. Makes more sense to buy new base plates for the vehicle you already have, or the vehicle you want to tow.

If you could learn what they fit, you might be able to sell them for a few bucks on Ebay or CL.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:32 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yeah, that is my thought, to sell the baseplate when I figure out what vehicle it fits, as long as it isn't one of my vehicles, of course. I have been looking for a baseplate with no luck so far. Trying not to pay new price.