Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:13 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How to wire as a toad and be able to tow a utility trailer ?

I have a 2013 ford edge I use a toad. I also want to be able to pull a utility trailer with the same vehicle when not using as a toad. How do I wire this thing to do both ?
I currently have this kit installed for it to used as a Toad.
Hopkins 56001 Towing Solutions Towed Vehicle Wiring Kit

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ustomerReviews

Can I wire this in also ?
http://http://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Roll over image to zoom in

bigdaddy5120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2015, 11:14 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I imagine the kit you mention will work fine for your car as a toad. As to towing with the Edge, the link you provided doesn't work.

The wire harness will install with a plug at the front of the car to hook to the RV. When using the Edge for towing a trailer, you'll need a separate plug at the back to hook to the trailer. You won't need diodes for that hook up, but you may wish to splice the wires into the same wires you identify for the tail lights. If your Edge uses separate bulbs for turn signals and different ones for braking (often amber turn, red stop) Your trailer should have lights in the same style. If the trailer uses the bright filament of a double filament bulb for brake and turn, you'll either need to install a converter to go from 3 wire to two wires OR add amber lights on the trailer to be used as turn signals and leave the brake circuit separate.

http://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufactu...ight+converter

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:17 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
here is the link, not sure why it didn't work.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 04-06-2015, 07:43 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For the standard wiring on 4-pin, 6-pin and 7-pin connectors, see this site;

Towing Connector Wiring Reference for RV Owners | RV and Camper Info

Ramblingdon
Old 04-07-2015, 09:38 AM   #5

I have a Chevy Malibu with LED tail lights. To tow a small trailer with my kayak, I had to install a Hopkins kit that requires a separate power source. Then, I added the diode kit to tow the car and have the RV operate the tail lights. My kit wasn't plug in, but basically I installed the diode kit and the output connectors that attach to each diode have two wires, one that goes to the car's light and the other that goes to the trailer plug. Hope that makes sense. I bought my kits at etrailer.com. They have a lot of installation videos and tech support if you run into a problem.

One word of caution on the Hopkins kit. Here is a link to the one I used on my car (Hopkins Kit, which is similar to the one you are looking at) My boat trailer originally had incandescent bulbs. My Hopkins controller was not operating the trailer lights correctly. Turned out the incandescent bulbs draw too many amps and shorted out the Hopkins module (replaced for free by etrailer.com). So I had to re-wire my boat trailer with LED bulbs for it to work correctly.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 02:24 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No special wiring needed

Wiring so you can tow it means either adding a diode kit OR adding lamps to the tail lights.. Either method can be used.

Adding wiring so you can tow the trailer means taping into the tail light leads (Stop/turn/tail) and the two need not interact...

My only concern,,, and the solutions

The addition of the trailer lights may overload the diode pack.

Diode packs come in two types..one is a vehicle spcific type that connects to a connector under or near the dash.. You unplug the plug from the socket,,plug the adapter into the socket and plug the plug into the adapter'socket..This is by and far the easiest way to do that job. Also the most expensive if you are doing it.

The other is a "universal Diode Kit"

On this one you have to run the "Towed light" cable all the way to the rear, You add the diodes right next to the tail lights.

Solution 1: Universal diode kit: Hook up trailer light connector BEFORE the diode kit

Soulution 2: (I really like this one) Convert tail lights and trailer lights to LED

Advantage method 2

I used to have a light up hitch receiver cover.. IT plugged into the trailer connector.. There are other things that work the same way.. You can plug in these devices on the towed and they will work both towed and driven.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:33 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Yes you should be able to piggy back those for what you want. The towed wiring kit just keeps voltage from backfeeding your system. The second kit just extends your tail and brake lights to an extenal connection like a trailer
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:44 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks to all , I will give it a try and report back if I have any problems .
Old 04-12-2015, 08:59 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
I'm not sure what all the discussion of using 'Hopkins kits' or diodes, or other complicated harnesses to wire a trailer to your car. A simple 4' section of 4 conductor wire with a 4 pin connector on the end is all you need and all I've ever used in wiring at least a half dozen vehicles over the years:

http://www.amazon.com/Attwood-Traile...trailer+wiring

The White wire goes to Ground
Brown wire goes to tail light
Yellow wire goes to left turn signal
Green wire goes to right turn signal

If your car has separate brake and turn signal bulbs, then you will need a converter to combine the the brake and turn signals to the simpler trailer light set up. This is the type of kit you'll need to add in the car's trunk:

Amazon.com: Curt Manufacturing 58240 Tail Light Converter 3 To 2 Wire: Automotive

Except for tying in to some of the same wires that your set up to tow the car behind the RV, these two wiring installations are, and should be, independent of each other as they are for different functions at different times.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:00 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I purchased a custom trailer kit harness for my Saturn Vue from E-Trailer. That took care of allowing me to tow with the Saturn Vue.

Then I purchased a 20 foot 6 wire cable and wired one end into a 6-way receptacle at the nose of the car. Fished it all the way back to the rear end and used Roadmaster HyPower Diodes to wire into the Tail, Signal and Stop lights on each side of the car.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Tags
toad, tow