Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:48 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
How will I like my Brake Buddy Vantage

I just got my Brake Buddy this weekend and look forward to taking first trip with it, I have been towing my 2007 Malibu and done fine, and before I get lectured here, brakes are not required in my state based on draw bar and weight of towed, but I feel I could use some more stopping power, especially on those red light stops on Hwy 17 while running 55 mph. In town, and around tow I have no stopping problems. I am also interested in the break-away aspect of the unit, for safety. I have a blue ox system, base plate and cables but like the break-away feature just in case.

I have a concern that maybe you Brake Buddy users can chime in on, should I be concerned about the potential for false braking, or unit malfunction that could burn up the brakes in the towed? I understand the inertia activation system, very much like the Prodigy controller I used to have on my trailer, but on the trailer I would definitely know if the trailer brake were dragging, or incorrectly activating. Not sure I would even sense it in this rig, hardly know the towed is back there, constantly look in monitor to confirm.

trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2015, 03:02 PM   #2

IF you secure the unit to the drivers seat [bungee cord] to keep it from sliding forward, pump the brake pedal a few times to dump the power brake vacuum, and set the sensitive to half of scale [ie wont come on except in an emergency stop], then you should be fine. Which model of BB is you buy--thought they all came with an inside cab remote monitor so you can watch for braking??????

Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:06 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ours works like a champ !
in fact, one day I had to move the jeep and just tossed the BB vantage select on the passenger side....

had to hit the brakes pretty hard and the BB scared me to death when it SHOT out the arm
thank goodness it was pointing where there was room for it to go out and not hit me or the door

so even though it was not plugged into the control wire, it still worked on inertia and tried to help me stop !

Why do you need to secure it with a bungee cord ?
My instructions told me to move the seat forward to where it is right behind the BB handle...
THEN when you do the auto test, it pumps 5 times and you can tell if it is adjusted correctly...

check out the videos --> https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...buddy+vantage+
Old 09-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
IF you secure the unit to the drivers seat [bungee cord] to keep it from sliding forward, pump the brake pedal a few times to dump the power brake vacuum, and set the sensitive to half of scale [ie wont come on except in an emergency stop], then you should be fine. Which model of BB is you buy--thought they all came with an inside cab remote monitor so you can watch for braking??????
I have the Brake Buddy Vantage Select, I guess you would say top of the line, and yes it does have a remote that can adjust sensitivity, switch form proportional to full, and monitor the system for errors, etc... So I guess my worries will be for nothing...
Old 09-09-2015, 04:32 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
I also have the Blue Ox Bar and base plate with the BB. I do not fasten to the seat. I adjust the seat and test the BB. If in doubt, test again so that you feel confident when you get in the coach. I like the system. Paid enough for it!
Bob

Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:46 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
2 more questions

Hooked up the brake buddy the other night, all seems well, blew fuse first run, but realized phone charger was still in other outlet and all outlets in car are on one 20A circuit, put in new fuse and seems ok.

But, 2 questions: 1) Is it normal to be so noisy? When compressor runs it makes a lot of noise. 2)Do you have problem with the plug slipping out of the outlet? I plugged it in (after fuse replacement) and ran test, did the 5 pumps and then I hear the air draining ( which happens automatically on the Vantage when power is off). I immediately thought I had blown a fuse again, but then I pushed on the 12V plug and it started up again. Trying to figure out a way to avoid it coming loose while traveling. Anyone had this issue?
Old 09-24-2015, 10:18 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
(1) Yes, it is noisy, and normal.
(2) No, have never had connection problems. That is something you must be sure will work. Sounds like the male or female is not as it should be. You should be able to tug on it slightly and have it hold firm.
Good luck!

Bob

Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:21 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Brake Buddy will advise you, if you ask them, to install a dedicated 12V outlet from the battery for the unit to eliminate overloading a circuit. I did it on last toad but not this one and haven't had an issue.....yet.

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake