Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2019, 09:31 AM   #1

Hydralift vs 24’ Enclosed Trailer

We have a 40’ Itasca Horizon and would like to have our Harley Trike and Jeep with us. Both will fit in the trailer, but with the Hydralift we would not have to worry about getting into RV Parks. Does anyone have one installed on their motor Home? Would you do it again? I am just thinking that 68’ feet is very long!
Merrymary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2019, 11:18 AM   #2

You aren't going to be much shorter with the hydralift. The other thing is, you are not going to be impressed when you get to your destination, and your baby is covered in grime and dirt. Been there done that. Hard to beat the enclosed trailer for safety, cleanliness, and you can pack along some spare tools and parts. You can at least move the trailer with the jeep. Best of luck in your decision.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:55 AM   #3

I would go with the trailer. We used to pull a 26' enclosed trailer behind our 43' Bus (73' overall) and had no problems finding a park to accommodate us. My son pulls a tall 26' enclosed behind his 45' Newell with his rock crawler and a Scion car inside. He's 75' long. I have carried a dresser on the back of an earlier 40' coach and the rear axle weight was over it's rating. The dirt will get everywhere with or without a cover. The trailer keeps everything clean plus there is room for other things. More and more parks are adding longer sites to make room for the Bigger rigs.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:09 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't help with the lift but noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:12 PM   #5

x2 on keep you toy clean inside the trailer. We pulled our bikes down east on an open trailer. We were not happy with the condition of the bikes when we got there. There was dirt in every nook and cranny. I now have an enclosed trailer. Everything arrives clean, safe, and I can pack along extra tools and anything else I might not otherwise be able to bring. You are not going to be much shorter without the trailer. At least you can move the trailer around with the jeep.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:08 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
In addition to what has already been said, unless your coach has a tag axle a lift on the rear is not recommended due to overloading the rear axle.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymary View Post
We have a 40’ Itasca Horizon and would like to have our Harley Trike and Jeep with us. Both will fit in the trailer, but with the Hydralift we would not have to worry about getting into RV Parks. Does anyone have one installed on their motor Home? Would you do it again? I am just thinking that 68’ feet is very long!
Merrymarry,
Well, we've done EXACTLY what you're thinking about. In fact, it was on OUR '04 Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. I did the install myself. It was both fun and quite a challenge. I won't go into all the details but, suffice to say, when done, I set that Hydralift up so it could be removed off the back of the coach in about 6-8 minutes just in case I needed to perform any major maintenance or, any major engine work needed to be done. I did that by setting up the hydraulics with a quick release fitting, much like air hoses have. And, the electric side also had a quick disconnect type "Weatherpak" connector.

Now, most don't care about that kind of stuff but, since I'm the one that does all the maintenance and work, I wanted that Hydralift out of the way if and when needed.

Now, how did we like it? Well, without a doubt, the Hydralift is by far, the best motorcycle lift and carrier on the market, no doubt about that. But, they know it too. That's why they cost what they do. I added extra structural undercarriage to the base for additional tie down points for the bike. When that Goldwing was on there, it was a rock.

We towed three different toads while that Hydralift was installed. And, we had a ball doing it, all over 1/2 the U.S. We did it for over 8,000 miles without one single issue. As for the coach, it handled it flawlessly. No wandering, no porpoising, no ill handling effects whatsoever. The coach rode at the same exact height, BOTH front and back, with the bike on there as it did without the lift and the bike. The ride height sensors took care of all weight and height adjustments.

Now, being that our coach is a 36' unit, we have the lighter axles. My rear is a 17,500 GAWR unit and my front is a 10,410 GAWR. Together, it's 27,910 GVWR. The problem was, for our coach, with the bike and lift on there, I was 2,100 lbs. over weight on the rear. Using advanced math, that's 1,050 lbs. per side. Now, I knew the coach and the suspension could take it. It was the TIRES that I had no control over. They were overloaded too. If I blew one of the duals on either side, that would put a phenomenal load, on the remaining tire. THAT, was a major bad juju.

So, even though we both loved that Hydralift and the ability to carry our '08 Honda GL 1800 Goldwing with us, along with our various toads, we decided to take a different route. We sold the Hydralift and now carry the bike on a Rampage lift/carrier in the back of one of our present toads, an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended cab. We like that way too. They both have benefits and pitfalls.

AS for ANY motorcycle/trike that is carried out in the open, yep, no doubt about it, it's gonna GET DIRTY for sure. I take pride in our bike and keep it clean and shiny all the time. So, whether it was carried on the back of our coach, or, carried in the back of our truck, it gets dirty. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I think that it gets a little less dirty when carried in the truck, as opposed to the back of the coach. When we find a campground/RV park for a night or maybe a few days, out comes the bike and it gets a sponge bath. About 10-15 minutes and, DONE!

YEP, also no doubt about it, dragging the bike around in an enclosed trailer is a way better scenario. We've done that too. Plus, it's a little better security too, if one is worried about that.

Anyway, if you'd like any info on the install, how I did things, what I thought about this or that, I'd be happy to help. Good luck and have fun.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0234.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	363.5 KB
ID:	238055   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0236.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	363.0 KB
ID:	238056  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0409.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	238057   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0478.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	387.6 KB
ID:	238058  

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:54 AM   #8

Well,
So much for the OP returning and checking the answers he asked for.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:58 PM   #9

Slight hijack - I apologize in advance, but since trailers were brought up... would anyone know what minimum enclosed trailer size would work for both a big bike or cart and a 14' long Ford Fiesta?

Tags
motor home, trailer