Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:05 PM   #1

Hyundai Tucson Toad

I have a lead on a 2010 manual Tucson GLS. From what I read, it can be a good toad. I do have a few questions, I'm hoping to get some assistance with. I have done some research, but I'm just not finding the answers to my questions.

1) It appears, I just need to put the Hyundai in neutral, park brake off, and the key in the acc position for towing, is it really that simple? (assuming it is properly hooked up with a tow bar, aux brake, etc...)
2) Does the odometer keep going up with the Hyundai? If so, is there a way, to stop the odometer from increasing (i.e. pulling a fuse)?

Thanks!

Tom

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2015, 04:29 PM   #2

We pull a Hyundai Accent. Yes, it is that simple. Release the emergency brake, turn key to ACC and put it in neutral. The odometer on the Accent does not increase while towing, so probably works that way on the Tucson too.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:39 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
Ok, I downloaded Your Owners Manual, 2010 Hyundai Tucson, It says to tow your vehicle with the wheels OFF OF THE GROUND!!!... It also states to tow "FOUR DOWN", to only do it for less than a mile and under 10 miles an hour. (Ok I did not cut and paste so read for yourself and decide.
Chapter 6: has diagrams of how to tow.

I would research this very carefully. I am NOT AN EXPERT, I Only Read The Owners Manual...

Yes I Too Am Shopping For A Toad, But Am Tired Of All The ROAD BLOCKS, MISS INFORMATION, AND DEALERS NOT KNOWING THE CORRECT ANSWERS!!!.

I have found this part of my RV experience very frustrating!!!.

Please Be Careful, & Good Luck...
Old 01-30-2015, 05:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilgerat View Post
Ok, I downloaded Your Owners Manual, 2010 Hyundai Tucson, It says to tow your vehicle with the wheels OFF OF THE GROUND!!!... It also states to tow "FOUR DOWN", to only do it for less than a mile and under 10 miles an hour. (Ok I did not cut and paste so read for yourself and decide.
Chapter 6: has diagrams of how to tow.

I would research this very carefully. I am NOT AN EXPERT, I Only Read The Owners Manual...

Yes I Too Am Shopping For A Toad, But Am Tired Of All The ROAD BLOCKS, MISS INFORMATION, AND DEALERS NOT KNOWING THE CORRECT ANSWERS!!!.

I have found this part of my RV experience very frustrating!!!.

Please Be Careful, & Good Luck...
I'm pretty sure they are talking about hooking a rope or something like that. The manufacturer doesn't set the vehicle up to be towed. So, yes what the manual says makes sense. However, all the towing guides printed by the folks at Motorhome Magazine as well others clearly state that the manual trans Tucson can be towed no problem.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:48 PM   #5

I found this on a Hyundai forum. It is a technical service bulletin about recreational towing (Summary, manual is OK, automatic NO):

Technical Service Bulletin

GROUP NUMBER
GENERAL
INFORMATION
11-GI-007
DATE MODEL(S)
NOVEMBER, 2011 ALL
SUBJECT:
RECREATIONAL TOWING REQUIREMENTS
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TSB 08-GI-003 TO INCLUDE RWD, HEV, AND DCT VEHICLES

Description:
This bulletin provides requirements for towing 2WD (2-wheel drive) Hyundai vehicles equipped with manual transmissions with all four wheels on the ground, such as may be done to tow behind a recreational vehicle.

Applicable Vehicles: ALL

CAUTION

The combinations listed in the TABLE below which state “NO” in the “Four wheels on the ground” column MUST NOT be towed behind a recreational vehicle with all four wheels on the ground.

Drivetrain Transmission Four wheels on the ground AWD (all-wheel drive)
Automatic NO

FWD (front-wheel drive)
Automatic (including DCT (dual clutch transmission) NO
Manual YES

RWD (rear-wheel drive)
HEV (hybrid electric vehicle)
Automatic NO
Manual YES

Circulate To: General Manager, Service Manager, Parts Manager, Warranty Manager, Service
Advisors, Technicians, Body Shop Manager, Fleet Repair
Old 02-04-2015, 06:54 AM   #6

I pulled the trigger and got the Tucson this last weekend. It's a basic vehicle, which is fine for me as I plan on using it as a Toad and as a backup vehicle. So far it seems like a good deal.

On to the next step - Installing a towing system.

Pulled the trigger and ordered a Ready Brute Elite system with a few other items:

Diode light kit
Break away system
Toad battery charger
NSA rock deflector
Blue Ox base plate
Electrical connection cable

I have a busy weekend, so the soonest I will be able to install (unless I have my mechanic do it) it may be Sunday or later in the week.

I picked this system as it simple in approach, mechanical based, and it appears to be fairly easy to install. The difficult piece will be installing the base plate. I have to take the front bumper off and do a little bit of trimming.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffarm View Post
I pulled the trigger and got the Tucson this last weekend. It's a basic vehicle, which is fine for me as I plan on using it as a Toad and as a backup vehicle. So far it seems like a good deal.

On to the next step - Installing a towing system.

Pulled the trigger and ordered a Ready Brute Elite system with a few other items:

Diode light kit
Break away system
Toad battery charger
NSA rock deflector
Blue Ox base plate
Electrical connection cable

I have a busy weekend, so the soonest I will be able to install (unless I have my mechanic do it) it may be Sunday or later in the week.

I picked this system as it simple in approach, mechanical based, and it appears to be fairly easy to install. The difficult piece will be installing the base plate. I have to take the front bumper off and do a little bit of trimming.
Happy trails. The Readybrute is good choice.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:57 PM   #8

I have the same but newer problem (2016Tucson)2WD. Has anyone had problems just towing with a front wheel dolly? on ACC, brakes off, and in Neutral.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:00 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Not a problem with any 2WD FWD toad on a dolly and not in neutral but in park key off and would bet that if it's a 5 or 6 speed manual its towable 4 down also. Both Kia and Hyundai owners manual are confusing on towing 4 down, go to the FMCA Toad list as they won't publish the info without approval from the company. I got a copy of the TSB on my 15 Kia showing it's approved for 4 down also Kia and Hyundai share a lot engines and transmission.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 09:13 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hyundai Toad

Just found a good deal on a toad after months of searching. Bought a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe FWD with 5 speed manual transmission. Set up with RoadMaster Base Plate, SMI Duo Stay-IN-Play Supplemental Braking System, RoadMaster Falcon 2 Tow Bar, RoadMaster Combo Towing Kit. Spent a weekend installing everything, (used to be a mechanic, but anyone with decent mechanical abilities and tools can do this), and took it on a trip this weekend. Everything worked fine and I am pleased with the towing equipment.
BTW we tow this behind a 2018 Coachmen Mirada 35KB with a Ford F53 chassis and V-10 gasser. New to Class A's but spent a lot of time researching before deciding on the toad and towing equipment.

Tags
toad