Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2014, 06:15 PM   #1

I don't have a clue

Need a full set up for a 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 4wd Crew Cab. I do know my model will shift to N.

I found the right Blue Ox base plates but now what? What tow bar? Brake system?

My MH is a 2014 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ. 15K towing capacity. Will this be ok to pull the full size Chevy?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2014, 06:27 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No problem towing with that setup. Blue Ox tow bar will match the baseplate. If I had air brakes on my coach I would have Air Force 1 braking system.

Glenn
Old 07-14-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
bcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama96 View Post
Need a full set up for a 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 4wd Crew Cab. I do know my model will shift to N.

I found the right Blue Ox base plates but now what? What tow bar? Brake system?

My MH is a 2014 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ. 15K towing capacity. Will this be ok to pull the full size Chevy?
I have an Aspire too. I doubt your truck weighs more than 6,000 pounds so you should be fine. I used Roadmaster products to set up my toad but Blue Ox equipment is great too. Go to etrailer.com and take a look what they recommend for towing equipment. I don't have any affiliation with them except as a customer. Their service is great. In addition to a tow bar and safety cables, you will need to wire your truck lights for towing. Roadmaster and others have wiring kits and may have a custom harnass for your truck. The wiring kits or custom harnass will have heavy duty diodes which will prevent your MH electrical system from interfering with your truck and vice versa. As far as braking systems are concerned, if you will hang around these forums long enough, you will find that every brand has its enthusiasts and detractors. I have an SMI Air Force One sitting in a box in the garage which I plan on installing tomorrow. It appears that AF-1 has lots of enthusiasts because it connects the MH air brake system with the car (truck) hydraulic system through a DOT listed interface that isolates the MH system from the toad system while still providing linked brakes where the toad brakes work in unison with the MH brakes. Other braking systems either apply a predetermined amount of braking when the brake lights turn on or use another method of applying brakes. I wanted a system that links the brakes together.

Read all the forums regarding this subject on this site and FMCA forums and it won't take long for you to draw your own conclusions. Good luck in your research.
bcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:33 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I use the Ready Brute Elite. Blue Ox base plate. I installed it myself. I like simple and I can see the surge brake operate in the camera. I used an separate bulb harness for the lights. It was about $1600 for everything. If you want to be able to apply the towed brakes separately this is not for you. The brakes are not applied going down hill. There is a minimum decal rate that must be exceeded before they operate.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote