Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2014, 01:04 PM   #1

Cool I don't understand!

On every forum I've looked about 4-Down towing vehicles, folk have said the Subaru Std Transmission can be towed 4-Down.

Yet as I get ready to buy a

2009 Subaru Forester 2.5X w/Premium Package (M5)

the dealer says his service and mechanics say the AWD CANNOT be towed 4-Down.

Is there a person in the world that knows?

Frustrated Alaskan now in God's Country >>>>> Ga <<<<<.

RR
RocketRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2014, 01:10 PM   #2

Look in the 2009 Subaru Forester owners manual
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #3

I have been using the Remco website while shopping for vehicles. I wanted a Volvo XC70 and was disappointed to find out it cannot be towed 4-down.

Remco : The Towing Experts

Click on the "Tow my Vehicle" button and enter the vehicle you're looking at. According to the Remco site, the Subaru you're looking at is trailer towable only.

Tom
The Wandering Winos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnDaRox View Post
I have been using the Remco website while shopping for vehicles. I wanted a Volvo XC70 and was disappointed to find out it cannot be towed 4-down.

Remco : The Towing Experts

Click on the "Tow my Vehicle" button and enter the vehicle you're looking at. According to the Remco site, the Subaru you're looking at is trailer towable only.

Tom

Sorry, you may wish to check the site and enter the correct trim ( I guessed based on your description) and also transmission type - makes a difference if it's automatic or manual. Manual says you CAN tow 4-down, automatic you cannot.
The Wandering Winos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
According to the Remco Towing site it's towable as is without any speed or distance restrictions. You can take a look for yourself at Store : Remco . Just input your vehicle information and it will show you what you do need or not for a particular vehicle. Good luck and hope all works out.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
Subaru and the owners manual should be able to help you.

If you contact Subaru, it would be extremely helpful to have the VIN number handy.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:53 PM   #7

All wheel drive, might have something to do with it...
Old 08-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They are all correct

The 4 Wheel Drive can be towed 4 down
The ALL wheel drive can not.

Same is true of Jeeps.

The reason is that on hard dry pavement the front and rear wheels will often have a different rotational speed Also the right and left (Front mostly) this is because of the way the vehicle corners.

On a 4 wheel drive, the two drive shafts are hard linked or.. in neutral completely separated from both each other and the transmission.

On the ALL WHEEL DRIVE, power transfer is handled by automated devices and torque converters, (Fulid and/or electromagnatic clutches) and though you can LOCK it in 4WD mode (Jeep at least) there is no Neutral.. And thus no towing

Not 4 down
Not 2 down
Trailer only.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:13 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Contact Subaru directly and remove all doubt. We have a 2001 Forester AWD manual and it tows beautifully and there have been no problems in 6,000+ miles. Last time I looked, which has been a year or two, all the manual tranny's were towable 4 wheels down. There may have been a change so I would contact Subaru directly as dealers are not always the most reliable source of information.
Good luck and safe travels!
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:36 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Found this too
Subaru Warranty, and Towing information page
Quote:
Towing a Subaru behind a motorhome or a tow-truck
The following is from Subaru "Helpline Update, 2/97"

There has been a change to the policy regarding towing of Subaru vehicles behind motorhomes. The following applies to 1990 through present model year Legacy (Including Outback), 1993 through present year Impreza (incl. Outback Sport), and 1992 through present year SVX. (Note: should also include 1998 through present year Forester. Joe)

The factory hitch is 1.25".
2" hitches can be installed aftermarket

Manual Transmission:
All Wheel Drive vehicles can be towed with all four wheels on the ground or with all four wheels off the ground on a trailer but towing an AWD vehicle must never be attempted with only two wheels on the ground or two wheels on a dolly.

STI, to tow: DCCD must be in manual mode, with the DCCD control dial set to the furthest rearward position (rolled toward rear seat).

Front Wheel Drive vehicles can be towed with all four wheels on the ground in neutral or with the two front wheels off the ground.

Automatic Transmission AWD vehicles cannot be towed with any wheels on the ground. The vehicle can only be towed on a trailer with all 4 wheels off the ground and the transmission in park.

Note: always inspect and check your car: radiator, coolant, all hoses, all fluids, brakes, towing equipment, lights etc
Looks like if you have a manual transmission you might be ok Id contact SOA to be sure
2001 Holiday Rambler Imperial 41ft PBD 370hp ISL AF1 braking system
2001 Subaru Forester manual toad
BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:00 PM   #11

call cliffs welding in mesa az he did my towing pkg.
he is an expert on these issues
lacdubonnet is offline   Reply With Quote