Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #1

I don't understand the Even Brake

I am a long time rv'er but new to towing. I set my 1999 National Seaview 31' class A with a roadmaster falcon II and ez brackets on a 2013 Ford Focus. The tow bar brackets were professionally installed and the focus was set up with a wiring harness and auxiliary tail lights installed next to the factory bulbs under the "rear lights. This is connected to the rv trailer electrical plug on the back of the rv.
I took one short trip with out the roadmaster even break installed and the system works great and the car tracks perfectly. I am planning my next trip and want to set up the even break in the focus for auxiliary breaking. When I purchased the even break I read a lot of info about it and it says everywhere how easy it is to use these new break in a box systems. Well after reading the manual it seems nothing but easy. The diodes, stop light switches all seem very complicated. I don't think I need any of this stuff because of the way I have my break lights set up but I am not sure. I can't figure out what electrical component actually tells the unit to apply the breaks. Do I need all of these complicated electrical installations for the thing to work?
Thanks
PS
The battery in the focus must be disconnected to tow 4 wheels down so I have already installed a 12V aux power outlet in the cockpit directly connected to the battery. I thought this was a all I had to do.

Any comment or info on what makes the even break apply the breaks would be helpful.

Thanks
Rob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #2

All safety appliances are a good idea. Do you need the brakes on the Focus? You will not even know you are towing the Focus unless you look in the rear camera screen. Your unit has plenty of stopping power for it and the Focus. But I know you will get the gotta have it responses so just my 2 cents worth.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
If it works the way I think it does, it is like a computerized surge brake. It can detect the force of you slowing down and applies the brake proportionally. Our Ready Brake has a mechanical version of that. When there is a forward surge from stepping on the MH brake a cable pulls down on the toads break pedal.

If your car had auxiliary bulbs installed that only work off the MH then I don't see a need for the diodes. Our toad has them because the bulbs used while towing are the same as when driving it so the diodes prevent the voltage from back feeding to the car when towing it. I don't see how they could hurt anything though.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackman View Post
All safety appliances are a good idea. Do you need the brakes on the Focus? You will not even know you are towing the Focus unless you look in the rear camera screen. Your unit has plenty of stopping power for it and the Focus. But I know you will get the gotta have it responses so just my 2 cents worth.
I Agree! I don't have brakes on my toad and it seems to stop just fine to me.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:36 AM   #5

I'm sure it does stop fine under normal circumstances. The problem comes when some idiot cuts you off at a stop light and then jams of the brakes. The police will probably ask if your toad is equiped with a braking system. At best your going to get a ticket.
I would rather be able to stop 6 inches short than 6 inches to late.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
I'm sure it does stop fine under normal circumstances. The problem comes when some idiot cuts you off at a stop light and then jams of the brakes. The police will probably ask if your toad is equiped with a braking system. At best your going to get a ticket.
I would rather be able to stop 6 inches short than 6 inches to late.
At 2200lbs our toad probably does not need brakes but I installed them just to cover my you know what if something happened. The break away Ready Stop give me some peace of mind too.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #7

Well Gang,
First off and most important, for ANYONE either getting ready to tow, setting up for towing, considering any toad, an auxiliary braking system for that intended toad MUST be there, according to many states guide lines. Now, not all states require them but, unless you're going to wind AROUND all those states that don't when in your travels, it simply pays to get any one of them installed and working correctly. And, what caused many of the folks I know who, traveled for years without any auxiliary braking system in place, to get one, was the fact that many news articles had recently and in the past been written about RVs in accidents and, even though they had not been at fault, insurance investigators had probed enough to find out that the RV owners DIDN'T HAVE AUXILIARY braking systems which, as many of you know, will influence court decisions.

So, just to cover their own a$$, they all went out and bought them. And here's one more thing, to those that say, "We don't even know the toad is back there", well, you can say that if you like, but the fact of the matter is, even the lightest toads out there, like a Smart Car, or the Fiat 500, still weigh in or around very close to 2,000 lbs. Now, 2,000 lbs. might not seem like much but, 2,000 lbs. being towed isn't too bad but, trying to stop 2,000 lbs. on a hard stop or, evasive manuover and braking, is a lot different. Static weight is one thing but, dynamic (inertia) is a totally different picture. That 2,000 lbs. virtually doubles as you're attempting to stop it from a speed of 60 mph.

The OP did his homework and studied the nomenclature for his particular braking system. I'm not sure of what it takes to get his particular system working correctly. I'm not a fan of those "robot" braking systems, no matter who makes it or what model it is but, that's just a preference thing. I'm a fan of the Ready Brake system and have used it on more than one toad without issue. To me, the Ready Brake is just more full proof, simpler in operation, and not nearly as trouble some for storage when not in use, and dependable. You choose what makes you happy.

Now, It's been a while but, as I recall, many of those "robot" systems use, or did use, a sort of "pendulum" effect for controlling the electronics which, then convert it to mechanical mechanism to apply the brakes. They could still be using it today or, maybe something more advanced, not a clue.

Some of them may even be tied into the "brake lights" of the toad. If that were the case, and the toad's brake lights were disengaged due to disconnecting the battery, then there might be a malfunction in the auxiliary braking system. I would have to read up on EXACTLY how all those systems ACTUALLY WORK and, where they get there signals from to energize them to work before I could make a clear judgment of the OPs real problem.

Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #8

It should work just like the aux brake units you put in your tow vehicle for trailering. It will sense via dynamometer when the car is decelerating quickly and will apply the toad's brakes accordingly.
You shouldn't have to do anything other than plug it into the cig socket, set it up, and go.
You've already taken care of the lighting situation. The difference is that your brake lights will work off of your coach's brake lights instead of your car, which is fine and will eliminate all of the stuff you're inquiring about.
And IMO, a brake unit for your tow car is very necessary. Think of what can happen if you slam on your brakes. The car can either try to plow under your coach, which can lift the rear wheels off the ground, or ride up over the hitch.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have been following along and don't recall anyone mentioning the additional wear and tare on the hitch, tow bar and toad brackets that results from fully stoping a toad without aux brakes. Whether your Motorhome stops it or not, you are treating the lifeline between coach and toad - as well as the toad - as if they were indestructible or perhaps belonged to someone else you didn't really care for.

The aux brakes slow the toad - usually in proportion to the slowing of the coach, reducing the force applied to the components which in a panic stop is a considerable amount, even at the lower weight levels of 2 - 3k pounds. Not thinking this is opinion - but could be wrong.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
One of the wiring issues that becomes apparent is the sending unit that may come with this braking system. I have the brake buddy and it has a sending unit in the toad that is connected to the brake switch down by the brake pedal. When the brake buddy activates and pushes on the brake the switch energizes (if powered) and sends a signal to a receiver light I have on the dash in the MH. I do not think that this is a requirement as it is an add-on and does not come standard with the system. I can actually feel my F150 when it brakes but not sure you would feel the focus unless the brakes come on hard. I also don't know how you could do it if your battery is disconnected from your normal system.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but here goes. Think about your towed car if it were to break free of the tow bar & chains. There's nothing to stop it if you don't have a breakaway system. I use the Roadmaster Invisabrake. If my car were to somehow come loose, a pin is pulled which activates the cars brakes stopping it before it goes all free-for-all down the road. Doesn't that make sense?

FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake