Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #1

I have no idea even what to ask

I'm new to the motor home business so that is where I'll begin.

Everyone has told me I need to tow a vehicle so that when I get somewhere I'll have transportation. Not sure I agree with this....

Originally I planned on renting a vehicle if I was somewhere where I wanted to do some sightseeing or whatever. Now I'm not so sure that is the best idea.

Since I've been inundated with folks telling me I need a "toad" I don't know what is the best plan of attack.

Realize that there are as many opinions on what vehicle is best as there are stars in the sky but I'm asking anyway. Is there some sort of standard for what vehicle is best? Do they have to be a certain height off the ground? What happens when they're towed? Oh so many questions.

Thanks for the responses....
iquilt888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #2

Many folks rent a car when they get to where they are going. Works for some. If you travel lots with your rv, a toad would be warranted. Just follow your heart and wants!!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #3

iquilt888:

Not all cars can be towed flat, that is with all 4 wheels on the ground. Check out Motorhome Magazine's article:
Dinghy Towing Fever
That should give you a good start.
Enjoy the ride,
Bill
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I assume you already tow from the front since you have a 5th wheel.
So unless you plan on changing to a Class A or C. You had no need for another vehicle.
If you are moving to a Motorhome there are a lot of variables to consider.
Why don't you tell us what you intend to buy in the way of a Motorhome
Old 11-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I tried the rental thing before ....... But I broke down in the middle of nowhere and in the middle of the night .... Sooooo I never leave home with out it (toad) that is ...... And as far as a toad goes sky's the limit just what ever you like to drive. I like a jeep it's light weight, easy to hook up and the top comes off for tho use nice days and we are off roading people ! Hope this helps
Old 11-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #6
Community Moderator

if you search key words "what car toad best" on this forum you will get a lot of hits. read a few threads you will get all answers.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
It's much cheaper to try the rental thing to start with. If that doesn't work then consider the Toad. We never leave home without the Toad!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #8

According to a recent post you have a 2007 Fleetwood Terra LX. You can tow up to 5000 lbs with your hitch.

I did not have a toad for my first MH, a short C. But it could do traffic and parking pretty good.

Then I got a class A. The packing/unpacking everytime we left camp got old real quick, and renting a car for a while can pay for a toad hitch setup.

Best wishes!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #9

To us, we've got to have a vehicle....Part of the fun of RV'ing is getting out to see the sights in all of the areas we visit (all of which do not have rental facilities). It's nice to be able to unhook and go for dinner or just to wally world to get "supplies and grub" without the "big rig" tagging along.
Have Phunn on whatever works for you!!
Old 11-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Iguilt888; here are some my experiences when we made our first trip from CA to Chicago to visit family. Once we arrived at the campground a little late because we stop for some sightseeing along the way. While got the jacks down, the slides out and connected everything the wife was going to dinner ready. When I came in I was told we forgot to stop at the market to something’s for dinner!

Well the campground store just closed and I had to disconnect everything, raise the jacks and bring in the slides and we drove into town to find something to eat. You know in a small town not much parking to a 38ft MH at a fast food restaurant. Than after dinner I now had to drive back to the campground and drop the jacks extend the slides and reconnect everything again in the dark, that was a lot of fun. It was too late to rent a car and for a short drive into town it was not worth the effort and the cost for 1 day rental just to go dinner or to go to a store is an expensive short trip.

Now with the car in tow the wife can go into town to the store or we can get something to eat without moving the motorhome.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #11

We started out at first with no toad. We did forget a few things and it was minor inconvenience and we pretty much stayed at the camp ground. But due to some expected need for a car I looked at renting a dolly. Well after comparing the cost of dolly to purchasing a dolly, I decided to purchase. What a great decision. We go out sight seeing, go to the store because we always seem to forget something, and the reassurance if I do break down, we are not 100% stranded. My new moto on a toad is "never leave home without it".
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #12

Depends on your idea of RVing. If it is just go to a camp ground and sit there then you don't need a toad. However if your idea is that the camp ground is a home base from which you explore then you will definitely want a toad. Even in some parks, like Letchworth, you will need some sort of transportation to get from the campground area to the gorges, falls, and restaurant.
Renting may relegate you to staying near metropolitan areas and there are a lot of beautiful places far from cities and large towns.
However, there are people who do it, it's certainly not my recomendation.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On a trip to Waveland, MS, we decided to rent a car to explore the area. It was a pain because we had to drive to N'awlins to pick it up, then drive back, then back to N'awlins to return it.
After that I coughed up the bucks to tow our car. We were fortunate that the car we had was already "approved" for towing.
That said, my recommendation to you is to go the rental route first. It will either work for you or you'll decide take the plunge.
We wouldn't be without it on most trips now.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Like many here we have a Class A and pull a dingy...it's very often the best way to explore at and in between destinations.

Now that we have that established...flat tow, car trailer, or car dolly?**

I use a dolly - and I am proud
I can pick from different cars to take along (most any modern front wheel drive car, SUV, or van). Dolly's are typically less expensive than a trailer or the cost of flat towing equipment. I have never had a problem where to put the dolly at a destination (fits under the rear of the RV). I can load and unload as fast or faster than my friends that flat tow. My dolly has on board brakes. And finally, dolly towing does not add any miles to the lower drive line of the dingy.

I'll be the first to say it... most all 4x4 Jeeps make great dingy's and must be flat or trailer towed.

**Let the battle begin...

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote