Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2017, 06:00 AM   #15

Bren10-

iRV2 has a classified section for toads; the link is here. This will give you an idea of the types of vehicles that can be towed and their rough prices. An advantage of buying one already set up for towing is that you may be able to tow it behind your coach without a lot of modifications or expense. I say "may" because any particular toad reflects towbar, wiring (and air line, if used behind an air-brake-equipped coach) and braking system choices that may conflict with what you have, or want, in your coach.

If you sift through many of the posts on this forum, you'll find that the most popular toads are Jeeps and pre-2015 Honda CRVs. (Hondas with automatic transmissions of model years 2015 and newer are not flat-towable, according to Honda).

I think your challenge is to find a toad that is comfortable and affordable. Our Honda Fit, while a great car to tow, is not one I'd recommend to anyone not limber enough to get in or out of it easily. Based on our experience with elder and disabled friends, the higher cars with wider doors (e.g., CRV, Edge, some Jeep models, etc.) are better in that regard.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2017, 07:55 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok cars fall into 4 types
Front Wheel Drive
Rear Wheel Drive
All Wheel Drive (Full time 4 wheel)
4 Wheel Drive

Normally the auto maker wants the drive wheels OFF THE GROUND, though some 4WD and some others are designed to tow 2 down, I think some Saturn models were so designed.

I'd start (For any car) by going to RemcoTowing USA's store site (Google it) and enter your car's vital stats on the left hand frame, then read the main frame.

I tow a 2001 Dodge Neon 4 down, Like your car DODGE says "Dolly" but Remco sold me a Lube Pump (About 1,500 installed) this comes complete with tow lights by the way. So that's one thing you need not worry about.. I tow with the trans in neutral Since the odometer is electronic it does not rack up millage when towing.

The tow bar is easy for one person to hook up (Mine is a Blue-Ox but there are several other good brands, You want one with telescoping arms that stows on the RV not the car

In addition I need an aux brake system for the towed..
My favorite is the US-Gear Unified brake decelerator but I will likely go with something else for this car.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:17 AM   #17

I would also recommend that before you actually hand money over for the auto, be sure to open the glove box and pull out the vehicles owners manual and read the "towing requirements". I've experienced that there not always as stated in generic listings.
rmbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:37 AM   #18

Forest River Owners Club
For those who are thinking about towing with electric brakes rather than surge brakes, Tekonsha makes a wireless system that eliminates the need for wiring the RV. No worries about the engine brake interfering with it either. It has an integrated battery also.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P0ZA86

I just received mine, so I will not have experience using it until tomorrow, but others on this forum have given positive reviews.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:50 PM   #19

I'M SO EXCITED to say the least. Thank you all so much for your posts they are so appreciated. After reading all the information I was given by you all I am EXCITED to say you all are now talking to the proud owner of a 1999 Jeep Wrangler 4x4 that we plan to tow flat behind our RV. It does have the neutral in the transfer case so I think we will be good to go.

I'm now looking for suggestions on the tow bar brands, where is the best, least expensive place to buy these, I think I'll need a buddy brake for it, Is that correct?

I guess my main question is (What all do I now need to buy to get this bad boy ready to go) any suggestions and info is greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much for your assistance.
Bren10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:56 PM   #20

i thought this to be for like TT and 5th Whells with electric brakes..wondering how it can work on push style brakes..but i may not have read enough on it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
For those who are thinking about towing with electric brakes rather than surge brakes, Tekonsha makes a wireless system that eliminates the need for wiring the RV. No worries about the engine brake interfering with it either. It has an integrated battery also.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P0ZA86

I just received mine, so I will not have experience using it until tomorrow, but others on this forum have given positive reviews.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:59 PM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
i thought this to be for like TT and 5th Whells with electric brakes..wondering how it can work on push style brakes..but i may not have read enough on it.....
All electric drum brakes work the same. The brake controller sends a regulated electric signal to a magnet in the drum, which will grab the side of the drum, which presses the shoes against the brake surface in the drum. This is from my smallest tow dolly to the largest gooseneck I've ever towed.
Old 01-30-2017, 02:08 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
If you sift through many of the posts on this forum, you'll find that the most popular toads are Jeeps and pre-2015 Honda CRVs. (Hondas with automatic transmissions of model years 2015 and newer are not flat-towable, according to Honda).
Most Honda's from '05 on have not been towable four down according to Honda. Even the '05 Ody we had was changed to not towable after we bought it specifically to use that way. However I do know that Ody's up to at least the '10 model are being towed four down with no problems.
I recently bought a friends '14 CR-V (6080 miles on it) supposedly all set up to tow and he had towed it more than driven it. Now having to rebuild the brakes including the parking brakes and I've only driven it 1,000 miles. Yep, parking brake is shot and the brakes chatter some at highway speeds.
The rest are changes just because I'd have done it differently, like they mounted the interior air brake connection right next to the parking brake and my big foot has knocked it off. So I'm going to move it which will take more fittings and tubing.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:29 PM   #23

Thank you Mr. D. for the info. I can see that being mounted in that close proximity to the brake to be an issue. I'm sure if ours was mounted there my hubby would also knock it off too. The very 1st time he got into the RV driver's seat he pulled the wires to the back up camera loose under the dashboard, and they had to be fixed. LOL at big feet, but I sure can't say too much about them because I have big feet too, and I'm sure no more room than there is getting in and out of the driver's seat that it's just a matter of time before I mess something up too.

Well folks, We went and picked up our Jeep Wrangler today from about an hour away, it did great on the way home, it drove and rode smooth, the brakes felt good on it, no indication that anything was wrong, until we realized the wipers had stopped working. We got back to town, stopped at the insurance company to get proof of insurance to take to the courthouse to finish the transfer, and when we tried to start it up, there was this loud squeal, smoke went rolling, we could smell rubber burning, and a stupid belt broke.

Before we left the insurance company we had to call a tow truck to take it to the shop to figure out what the heck happened to it. Come to find out the alternator had locked up, and it also graciously fried our battery too. I'm hoping after the alternator, and battery gets replaced that we are good to go from there, but I ain't holding my breath.

LOL We may just end up having to make lemonade with the big ole lemon that we may have gotten, but I hope not.

LOL Just to make things perfectly clear, when I said I wanted a vehicle that could be towed this wasn't quite what I had in mind.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:02 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I suggest just driving the Taurus or what ever car you get as a toad.

Flat towing requires a mess of equipment and from your story, this would need to be installed by a shop...that could be the same cost as the Taurus or more.

Dolly towing is very easy and you could simply test the idea by renting a U-Haul dolly for a trip or few. We did that 3 times before deciding.
Have an EZE-TOW with totally automatic surge brakes (better than electric for ease of use and lack of needing adjustment).

For the cost of a new installed flat-tow set-up or buying a dolly, you could buy a bunch of gas for the RV and car. Driving separately is good for some, but lonely...it's an option.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:09 PM   #25

Thank you Scarab0088. We actually bought a Jeep Wrangler today and it had to be towed to the mechanics because it broke down. (Story above it comment #24). We're hoping it's an isolated incidence, but if it isn't, we may just say too heck with taking a car at all and just rent one when we get there. LOL I'm exhausted already, and we haven't even went anywhere yet.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:21 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So, Jeeps (except the very few 2 wheel drive models built - after driveshaft disconnect) are not dolly towable.

4x4 Jeeps are probably the easiest to set-up to flat tow with exposed frame-rails in the front.
Some might be tempted to flat tow without some sort of brakes due to the cost of supplimental brakes in the Jeep, but it is smart and obviously safer.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:36 AM   #27

............ and I hope, finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren10 View Post
...Well folks, We went and picked up our Jeep Wrangler today... We got back to town, stopped at the insurance company...and when we tried to start it up, there was this loud squeal, smoke went rolling, we could smell rubber burning, and a stupid belt broke....Before we left the insurance company we had to call a tow truck to take it to the shop to figure out what the heck happened to it.

...Just to make things perfectly clear, when I said I wanted a vehicle that could be towed this wasn't quite what I had in mind.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:23 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
............ and I hope, finally
As a former professional used car mechanic I always advise the new owner of a used car to change all fluids and rubber hoses immediately. I think 80/90% of breakdowns are caused by fluid neglect and rubber hoses and belts failing. Be sure ALL fluids get changed.

Tags
tow, towing