Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2016, 02:37 PM   #1

I Need a Little Help With the Numbers

I am considering towing 4 down as my BIL is giving me his Roadmaster setup. It is 16 years old and has the older version of a brake buddy but everything is in good condition. I am considering getting an older Ranger 2WD, manual pickup which many have used as toads over the years. I have owned a Ranger in the past so I am familiar with them. What would be ideal for me is an older rig, probably 1993 to 1998. The added plus is that there are no pick-ups in the family anymore so it could pull double duty as a hauler for larger items from Home Depot or Costco when not in use as a toad. Storage when not being used is not an issue for us.

Doing my research I found that while I have a 5000# hitch on my 2008 E450 Aspect 26A, WB rates it to tow only 3500# in their manual. In reading my weights, if I subtract GCWR (maximum loaded combined weight of both RV and toad) of 20,000# from the GVWR (maximum loaded weight of RV) of 14,500#, I still have 5,500# left for the toad after the RV is loaded to its maximum. I know these weights are somewhat theoretical and I will verify what my rig actually weighs on a CAT scale. The Ranger I am considering weighs in around 3600#. Am I going to regret my choice of toad? Any advice or anecdotal evidence is appreciated.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2016, 06:37 AM   #2

Should work great. Only advice would be to make sure you have a sufficient trans cooler. Derale makes a great one with fan included.
mountainsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYeller View Post
I am considering towing 4 down as my BIL is giving me his Roadmaster setup. It is 16 years old and has the older version of a brake buddy but everything is in good condition. I am considering getting an older Ranger 2WD, manual pickup which many have used as toads over the years. I have owned a Ranger in the past so I am familiar with them. What would be ideal for me is an older rig, probably 1993 to 1998. The added plus is that there are no pick-ups in the family anymore so it could pull double duty as a hauler for larger items from Home Depot or Costco when not in use as a toad. Storage when not being used is not an issue for us.

Doing my research I found that while I have a 5000# hitch on my 2008 E450 Aspect 26A, WB rates it to tow only 3500# in their manual. In reading my weights, if I subtract GCWR (maximum loaded combined weight of both RV and toad) of 20,000# from the GVWR (maximum loaded weight of RV) of 14,500#, I still have 5,500# left for the toad after the RV is loaded to its maximum. I know these weights are somewhat theoretical and I will verify what my rig actually weighs on a CAT scale. The Ranger I am considering weighs in around 3600#. Am I going to regret my choice of toad? Any advice or anecdotal evidence is appreciated.
In all likelihood the towing capacity is limited by Winnebago because of the motorhome frame. Many motorhomes have extensions on the original Ford frame. They are generally lighter than the Ford frame and will not support as much towed weight. I would call Winnebago to verify why the towing capacity is limited.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:32 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, what Hikerdogs says. The rear frame extension on the motohome will be the limiting factor, and nobody at WB is gonna say "Aw, we were just kidding. Go ahead and exceed the rating.".

Will you be sorry if you do? It's a crap shoot. An engineer estimated the limit to the best of his knowledge, probably conservatively. But if something breaks or bends, it's on YOU. Chances are it will be fine, or at least OK until you hit a big pothole or have to make some emergency maneuver. Then it's difficult to say (which is probably why WB chose a safer, lower limit).
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #5

My RV is under 27' overall. I'm going to crawl under and see if there are frame extensions. I'll still probably be OK weightwise (under 3500#) or slightly over depending upon what the truck actually weighs set for towing and loaded for camping minus a driver. At this point I am using theoretical numbers. I'll find someplace to get things weighed so I know what I am dealing with.

The Ranger will probably be a 2WD with a manual so that will keep the weight under the recommendation from WB. I was just wondering why the numbers didn't add up.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:57 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
First off I would not tow with equipment 16 years old that is about double the designed age or it
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:03 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 98 26foot class A p30 Itasca (Winnie). had it since new.

When it was new I welded some plates on the side and bottom of the frame extensions, just for durability. While the top and sides of the frame and extension were welded, for some reason they didn't weld the bottom. Mine was marked the same, 350lb hitch weight, I found the same hitch in a catalog for a pickup truck, it was rated 500lbs hitch weight. Huh????

I've towed my 5klb boat, my 6900lb car hauler/bobcat and my toad behind the unit for the last 18 years. no problems as of to date. I have 127k miles on it now. 3600lbs? Don't sweat it, it won't be a problem. Remember that they figure a %20 error when testing.

They big thing to look at is your braking system. I bought the heavy duty 14,500k lb frame rather than the 11klb frame. It's all in the brakes! I have huge 4 wheel disc, that when working correctly will stop anything I put on it. I wouldn't bother with towed vehicle brakes until you get up to 4k lb's if you have the heavier chassis like me.

With the boat at 5k I have surge brakes on it, and the bobcat/car hauler 6.9k, again I uses surge brakes on the trailers of both units. Current toad is about 3300lbs, no brakes, and I barely notice it is there in a hard braking.

That said, I do have a special switch so that I can drop the anchor in an emergency!
Old 05-22-2016, 10:19 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One more thing, toads don't have a hitch weight. 4 on the ground means that there is no hitch weight to speak of. So, the only thing of importance is the braking power of the towing vehicle.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:37 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I had 1990 Fleetwood Jamboree 27' on a Ford E350 chassis for 14 years. I don; recall what the rating was back then. I towed a 22' SeaRay bow rider (4500 pounds) with the coach for over ten years. The Sea Ray had a lot of tongue weight and I cold see that the back wall, where the floor met the wall, was starting to separate due to the tongue weight. I moved the boat farther back on the trailer and welded supports between the frame rails and frame extensions. There was never an issue after that (40000 miles).

You'll be fine, but I would add some bracing to the frame extension, just for piece of mind.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:04 PM   #10

For Your info. I towed 1997 Ranger single cab, 5 speed with fiber glass bed cover Weight on scales 2793 Lbs. on 89 Holiday Rambler 454 and now with 1999 34 ft Bounder V10. The truck has 222000 miles. It does not register miles when towed so I don't know how many miles but I have dragged it in Mexico and all over U.S. I bought it new and only Regular Maint. and one clutch & set shocks. Does not use oil. I think you are making a very good choice in Truck.
Its a 4 Cyl.
ChasL is offline   Reply With Quote