Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:18 AM   #1

I need to tow my Acura

I have a 2001 Acura CL I would like to pull behind my 2004 Bounder E35. I looked at the classified page but did not see any car carriers like KarKaddy or Tow-It. I would like to use the two wheel dolly type carrier. Because of their cost I would like to find a used unit. Any suggestions ???

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2012, 12:22 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Acura towed

Look at your manufacturers information on towing your Acura. Information should be in your handbook. If possible, best to tow "four down". Also, call REMCO. They are the experts on towing. Can be found with a Google search.

Happy Trails!

Darryl

Old 05-27-2012, 12:44 AM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The trouble with Remco is that if you take their advice and something goes wrong they won't pay for the damage and most likely you've voided the warranty too since you didn't follow the factory warnings against recreational towing.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I think the Front Wheel Drive Acuras are towable as is. Remco says so and refers to the owner manual for verification. I think the CL uses the Honda powertrain and is towable like the Honda Accord.

A 2001 is way out of warranty anyway.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #5

According to the owner’s manual with the engine running you shift to D5, then to neutral, then turn the engine off. But the manual also states it is best to tow the car that way no more than 50 miles no faster than 35 mph. I would love to tow it with all 4 wheels on the ground but not at only 35 mph. I’ll check with REMCO. I will continue to try to get conformation that 4 wheels down will work.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Fun,

My Accord 3.0 has the same trans as your Acura CL. I have been towing 4 down for 2 years with no issues. I have also met many people that have towed Honda's/Acura's without a problem. American Honda did not do 4 down testing on most models so the owners manual will have a disclaimer against it.

You must lubricate the transmission every 8 hours or 300 miles by running through 1st, 2nd, drive then neutral before towing. If you accidentally go into reverse, you must go through the proper sequence over again from the beginning.

Since your car is probably out of warranty I don't see any reason not to tow 4 down. Of course if you are not comfortable with this by all means look for a tow dolly with built in surge brakes.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #7

That is great info, thank. So the proper sequence before towing is put it in 1st gear then put it in 2nd gear then neutral then tow it up to 300 miles/8 hours. Then stop towing and again put it in 1st gear then put it in 2nd gear then neutral then tow again. When putting it in 1st and 2nd gear do you un-hook it and drive it or just put it in gear with the engine running?
Old 05-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No need to unhook, just let it run for a minute or two in each gear. But not reverse!
Reverse changes the flow of the trans fluid away from parts that need to be lubricated.
It's okay if this happens, you just need to start the procedure over again.

Also the key will need to be left in the car, it will not come out in neutral. The steering will be unlocked and ready to tow. I use a spare key to lock the doors.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:08 PM   #9

Thanks again. So you tow with the front wheels un-locked and free to turn? What tow bare are you using? Any advice there?
Old 05-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, steering wheel unlocked, key in accessory position.

I love my Readybrute Elite tow bar. Search the forum for an unbiased opinion.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #11

John, You've been a great help. Nothing wrong with a good biased opinion, thanks.

Kevin
Old 05-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Kevin,

Forgot to mention the Readybrake Elite has the surge brake system built in, scroll down the link I provided in the above post for more info.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #13

Will do, thanks.