Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2014, 09:09 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
I read where some folks disconnect the battery

when towing a late model Jeep Wrangler...,why do some people disconnect the battery?
The key is turned off. No steering wheel lock. The Power to the lights is coming from the coach.
The only juice used is when the even-brake presses the brake pedal.the coach powers all of the lights..
I don't see it bring disconnected. Is there someone out there that knows more than me?
Engle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2014, 11:19 PM   #2

Some vehicles with steering lock , require key on to unlock the wheel and disconnect the battery to stop speedo running up miles while towed.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engle View Post
when towing a late model Jeep Wrangler...,why do some people disconnect the battery?
The key is turned off. No steering wheel lock. The Power to the lights is coming from the coach.
The only juice used is when the even-brake presses the brake pedal.the coach powers all of the lights..
I don't see it bring disconnected. Is there someone out there that knows more than me?
Engle,
When you say "Late model", that can mean different things. Some vehicles that are flat towable, change setup procedures for flat towing, from one year to another. Some, need the key in and turned, to unlock the steering and, in many cases, that also energizes some portion of the electrical system. Sometimes it doesn't.

And some vehicles, do not require the key in and turned due to the fact that there is no steering lock system.

But, while I've towed Seven different Jeep Wranglers over a 25 year period, the latest was an '04. And while it required the key in and turned, it did NOT turn any portion of the electrical system on so, there was no need for any battery disconnect or, compensation for electrical drain on the Jeeps system. Now, in the later "JK" series Jeeps, they required a certain fuse pulled in order to keep the battery from being drained due to the key in the turned position which, energized a portion of the electrical system.

But, even later JK models, ceased that portion of the prep in towing, for different operations. So, yes, there are some folks that have to disconnect the battery either because the manual FOR THEIR MODEL YEAR, tells them to or, they've had troubles when they didn't do it. I've never had a vehicle that I've had to disconnect the battery for flat towing and never will. The reason, there's a zillion flat towable vehicles out there that DO NOT NEED THE BATTERY DISCONNECTED. Why make things harder?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:16 PM   #4

The year models do come into play for sure, I have a 2011, all it needs is; transfer case in N, shift lever to Park, key off and out. Ready to roll.
jcullipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:35 PM   #5

X2 jcullipher's response. Jeep changed their set up mid model year 2009 but did not update their manual until this year (and then not all manuals - mine was first my service guy had seen after doing over 200 installs). No need to disconnect battery on late models assuming by late model you mean 2009 and up when they no longer had steering locks.
deekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:06 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 2000 Wrangler (that is a wonderful toad!).

I do need the key turned slightly so the steer tires turn but that does not drain the battery and doesn't add miles... Period!
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery