Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2019, 06:35 PM   #1

I was stupid, please tell me I'm not alone!

It's been awhile since I hooked up the toad so I took it for a short test drive today before we leave on Sunday for five days in Bodega Bay, CA.

All looked good until I heard a terrible squeal and people started honking and pointing at my toad.

I stupidly had left my toad's parking brake on and the left rear wheel locked and shredded the tire. Fortunately this happened just as I left my neighborhood and my spare was in good shape. Other than the tire, there's no apparent damage. To add insult to injury, I hadn't turned on my TPMS. After all, I was only going a couple of miles. It probably wouldn't have warned me early enough to prevent the damage but, had it been on, I might have had a little warning. Fortunately it didn't cause a fire. In retrospect, the toad did seem a little "heavier" than usual.

There was absolutely no reason for me to have activated the toad's parking brake while hooking up and I almost never use it (it's flat here).

Kudos to America's Tire who was not only able to install a new tire on a busy Friday afternoon, but they gave me an $88 road hazard credit towards the new Michelin tire even though I was the road hazard.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2019, 06:41 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Been there - done that!!!!

The emergency brake on my silverado half ton had a release button that after it moved so many feet it released rather than destroy the tire or brake assembly. I saw the tire skidding as i was making a left turn out of the parking lot and remembered the brake.

Lesson learned!

Drive sage - Richard
Old 06-21-2019, 07:21 PM   #3

My last step before towing is to push by hand my toad backwards until one of the tow bar arms locks (Blue OX). Confirmation the drive train is free and the brakes are off.
Nutmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutmeg View Post
My last step before towing is to push by hand my toad backwards until one of the tow bar arms locks (Blue OX). Confirmation the drive train is free and the brakes are off.
I'm going to remember that!
Old 06-21-2019, 09:56 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
BCam...the good news is that you won't ever make that mistake again. The more they cost the better you remember them.

That one was very memorable.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:59 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are you aware that NASCAR is at Sonoma Raceway (still Sears Point to me) this weekend? Traffic on Hwy 37 will be a nightmare, you might want to plan accordingly.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Are you aware that NASCAR is at Sonoma Raceway (still Sears Point to me) this weekend? Traffic on Hwy 37 will be a nightmare, you might want to plan accordingly.
Thanks, do you have any suggestions?
Old 06-22-2019, 05:37 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
2014 Crv left in park after hook up. Luck we were in dirt road. Noticed after 100 ft. Luck no damage.[emoji79] [emoji102]
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 05:42 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Haven't done that yet, but I'm taking every step to avoid the issue.

I 2 indicator lights, if I had a mechanical parking brake I'd have 3 lights, all visible from the rear cam.

One of my lights is connected to a mechanical switch on the brake arm, when the brake arm moves the light comes on. If I had a mechanical parking brake, I'd do the same on it. Simple setup, switch, bracket, bright 6LED strip from Amazon, wired to the charge line through the switch/fuse to ground. I used the charge line, so that it only lights when connected to the MH.

The other light is connected to the SMI unit indicating that it has a signal to apply the brakes. If it doesn't light up, then I know I have the opposite problem...no brakes.

Last, I have one of these https://www.amazon.com/Wyze-Indoor-W...48860392&psc=1 powered by a USB charge bank connected to my WIFI hotspot in the MH. DW can view the cam and actually see the air cylinder move the brake arm...for the ultimate in paranoia relief.

I saw a YouTube video the other day, where the guy had a surge brake system and it got hung up, his TMPS showed a hot tire and that saved him from complete disaster. Might consider that as another precaution...pretty expensive vs. a switch and an LED, but what in RV'ing isn't expensive.

Like they say, safety third...

Ron
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:39 AM   #10

You don't have to be stupid for things like this to happen. Forgetful maybe or distracted.
About 5 years ago I pulled into my repair shop to find a 2002 Ford Ranger backed up in front of the shop. I recognized the truck and knew it belonged to a good customer of mine. As I walked past the truck I noticed the rear tires were worn to the steel belts and looked as if they were melted. My customer (Doug) was in his late 80's at the time but exceptionally sharp for his age. All I could think of was Doug had gotten stuck somewhere and spun the tires to the point they were completely worn out.
A few minutes after opening the shop Doug pulled in with his car. He told me his tale of woe. The evening before he and his wife had driven 70 miles south to Camping World to pick up their Motorhome after having it serviced. After paying the bill Doug hooked the Ranger up to the Motorhome and headed out to the Freeway to connect with the Interstate to come north. Doug said he'd gone about 2 miles and all of a sudden people were pulling up next to him and blowing their horns and waving him down. He pulled over onto the shoulder of the road and both rear tires were smoking and rubber was melting off the tires. A State Trooper came along, jumped out of his patrol car and used an extinguisher to cool the tires down. A roll back was called and the Ranger was loaded and headed to my shop.
As it turned out when Doug parked the Ranger to hook up the tow bar he placed the manual transmission in reverse. After completing the hook up he climbed into his Motorhome and headed out with the transmission still in reverse. As he was traveling down the Freeway the engine was spinning backward and the tires were sliding and catching which wore the tires out. Doug also told me he thought the battery was dead as the truck's engine would not start. The starter just made a loud clunking noise.
When things quited down in the shop we pushed the truck into a service bay to check it out. Doug was right. The starter made a lot of noise but the engine wasn't offering to turn over. With a socket on a breaker bar the engine would not budge. It was set up solidly.
The next morning we removed the engine and pulled the oil pan. I have seen some bad engines in my day but this one was by far the worst. Everything was turned a deep blue color. That's when we realized with the transmission in reverse and the truck being pulled forward the engine was spinning backward. With the engine spinning backward the oil pump was not pumping oil. A couple miles of running at high RPM with no oil circulation completely ruined the engine.
We replaced the engine, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, throw out bearing and everything else needed to make the Ranger whole again.
A couple new rear tires and the Ranger was ready to go. The transmission and rear differential were undamaged so Doug lucked out to some degree.
Things happen. No need to beat yourself up or ridicule someone else for a simple mistake any of us could make.
Both Doug and his wife are gone now but we had a few chuckles about his experience when he came into my shop. One of their kids is still driving the Ranger.
Lynn
Old 06-22-2019, 07:09 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
After our toad is hooked up the wife stands behind it and checks brake lights, turn signals and then I inch forward and she checks that the tires rotate. On one occasion, for whatever reason, I had applied the barking brake and she immediately signaled me to stop. Luckily, no damage.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:41 AM   #12
Dom

I was hooking up my Smart car, when I realized the steering wheel doesn't lock when key is turned off. I'm thinking this is great because they only have two positions, off and on. Wasn't thinking that then the transmission can't be in neutral. Fortunately leaving the driveway, look back and see two black strips following me.
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:45 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
The Richmond-San Rafael bridge to Hwy 101 is one way to avoid Hwy 37. The other Route, Hwy 12, can be very congested on Sundays due to wine tasters.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:46 AM   #14

Old 2006 colorado 4x4, left parking brake on after hookup. 175 mi. Later, decided to replace Brake Drums, pads etc.! Thought they needed it.....they did!
gerdutch is offline   Reply With Quote