Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Idea Department

Rigging our new toad for towing has been a real challenge. One problem has been play in hitch components. Coach receiver, six inch drop receiver, Readybrake and finally tow bar. End result - several inches of up down and side to side movement/sloop at end of tow bar. Looked at several commercial products designed to stabilize tow bar connections and decided there has to be a better and cheaper way and I think I've got it figured out. "Shim stock" in receiver bar connect. Finally settled on using plain old galvanized sheet metal. Cut some test strips, hammered tin snip edges smooth on an anvil and simply pushed em in. Movement reduced. Added second layer and even better yet. Encouraged by test results I decided to make some real ones. Cut strips about 7 x 1.5 inches, hammered edges smooth, bent one end 90 degrees about one inch from the end. Simply set one or two strips on top of bar with 90 hooked on end and push into receiver. Viola - vertical play almost gone. Shims on side will be a bit more difficult due to pin holes. I'm working on it.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Interesting idea. I too am using a drop hitch (actually as a riser) so I have slop at the two connections. Just bought two BlueOx hitch stabilizers but haven't connected them yet.

My bigger issue isn't the cost or connecting them, but rather that I have to remove my tow bar every time I store my coach. It's a 40' coach and a "45" foot storage garage. But that 45' is really closer to 43', and my coach is closer to 42' including he front mirror so with the tow bar installed, I can't close the garage door. :-(

Thus... Your idea could be beneficial (ie market if you are inclined) for situations like mine, where it could be easily removed and replaced.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #3

Shims definitely work, and I used them at first. I found that after an extensive tow, they tended to migrate, either out or in and I lost some of my tightness. I then laid two welding beads around the square tubing that makes up the hitch male part. One was at the end and the second set so it was just between the pin and outer edge of the receiver. Then it took some careful work with a 4 1/2" grinder to work the bead height down to just a few thousands less than the size of the hole. Worked like a charm. One down side is that the pieces need to be disassembled every few months as very fine sand and dust accumulates in the receiver tube. If you let it go too long, getting the hitch out can be a problem. We've been pulling this way for over 120,000 tow miles and no problems at all.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #4

I have drilled a hole in the bottom of the receiver and welded a nut in the drop bar. I used 1/2 grade 8 bolt and nut.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
i use 2 roadmaster hitch tightening devices.
imho this blue ox immobilizer device would work better.

Receiver Immobilizer II for 2-inch Hitch - Anti-Rattle Devices - Blue Ox Towing Accessories
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:05 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I also use the RoadMaster Quiet Hitch™. Works great and I've never had to tighten it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
One that would reduce side to side movement and not expensive.
No-Rattle Trailer Hitch Wedge for 1-1/4" and 2" Trailer Hitches by Boone Outdoor Hardware Boone Outdoor Hitch Accessories 93347
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Shims definitely work, and I used them at first. I found that after an extensive tow, they tended to migrate, either out or in and I lost some of my tightness.
OP Here: I ended up making them almost two inches longer than needed. Bent one end at 90 degrees and used that to push shimin with bar and then I bent excess on other end up, forming a Z, that should prevent loss or migration. Hint held slims on bar with rubber band until most of the way in, then just broke rubber band to remove it.
Is it a good idea? Only miles and more miles will tell.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rich and Cork, I like your idea, simple, inexpensive, and effective!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote