Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:07 AM   #1

Illuminating the undercarriage of the toad?

Been told tonight as the toad went in for front mounting bracket that underbody illumination is illegal in my registered state.

Wanting to provide more than stock illumination under the toad, so that passersby will see it is connected to a 36 foot RV.

Just stock yellow.

2004 Fleetwood Tioga SL, On the move to a 2014 Allegro 36LA.Trek pure Trike,electric, 50 mile range, the get everything runner.To do list 10K hitch Remco driveshaft, Blue Ox E450, SMI brakes Pending toad.
trx430ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2017, 06:16 AM   #2

I don't know about underbody lighting, but I've wondered why toad wiring setups typically do not illuminate the running lights/side markers, instead of just the tail lights.

I plan to build my own towed vehicle light bar for our new toad, so that I may use more and brighter lights. With bigger toads, those lights may be the only ones that the vehicle behind you can see.

petrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:42 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use the 3M reflective tape, black on black rubber, white on white paint. Hardly notice during the day but lights up the sides and back of the jeep when
hit by car lights.
Also on the tow bar, basement handles and open slide sides.
"Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx430ex View Post
Been told tonight as the toad went in for front mounting bracket that underbody illumination is illegal in my registered state.

Wanting to provide more than stock illumination under the toad, so that passersby will see it is connected to a 36 foot RV.

Just stock yellow.
Trx430ex,
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards dictate just EXACTLY what lighting is to be seen, from what angles, from what direction, what colors, and what functions on any motor vehicle operating on U.S roads.
Not only all that but, a very large percentage of LEO out there know these rules exist and are not fond of “glitzy” illegal lights.
There are companies like Etrailer.com that sell lighting harness kits for most flat towable roads now days.
As far as the average driver NOT seeing your road, from the side, at night , in the dark, we’ll thats covered too. FMVSS also stipulates that side marker lights ALSO be REFLECTIVE. And that goes for tail lights too. If you don’t think so, just shine a flashlight at your taillights at night, with the vehicle lights off.
Whether you choose to use a factory produced aftermarket permaid tow light wiring harness or , do like I’ve done to 12 different toads in 40 years of towing, which is to tie into the factory wiring to utize the factory lights, or come up with whatever alternate way, is up to you.
Good luck,
Scott
Old 12-08-2017, 06:03 PM   #5

Try this
SET OF 2 MAGNETIC SIGNS 6"X12" IN TOW CAUTION Magnetic Sign for car or truck https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XGKC217..._2GYkAb7MV3HSY
Old 12-09-2017, 12:40 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"FIRE UP"....nailed the point on lighting standards.

The reason they're important is so that people know which direction you're travelling at night. That's why there is no allowance for white light to the rear or red lights to the front. A good example is on boats and airplanes. Their green and red directional lights tell people which way they're moving from a long way off.

Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad