Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm NO engineer, BUT!

WOW what a fubar! I had ordered a Demco baseplate for the 05 pt Cruiser and it arrived no problem. Well with the heat we've had the passed week I decided to wait till it cooled off a bit. Well today was the day. Dissasembled the front grill and facia and everything going along just peachie until it came time to slip the baseplate in place. Hold it up to the front of the car and what the heck???? Set it back on the floor and got out the trusty tape measure. Measured between the frames that it attaches to 62-5/8" end to end. Measured inside of baseplate which is supposed to slide over the frame 61-3/8". Couldn't have ordered the wrong plate as they only offer one for all the years that the car was made. And NO it's not a Turbo. Well I guess someone will be getting a call in the morning but this is really frustrating. Another thing that is bothersome is that if I had this in a shop that's charging $75 -100 / hour this could get quite expensive. Oh well thanks for letting me vent and I'll post what has to happen next.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did you know that at many auto plants there are 3 bins.. Large, Medium and Small.

Sometimes a part will come out a bit .. er.. larger (or smaller) those go in the large or small bin, When they get enough parts in the large or small hoppers, they make a car that is oh, say an inch larger (or smaller) than specification?

I used to drive a Large, Parts from the junk yard did not always fit.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:22 PM   #3

I had the same problem when I installed the base plate on my CRV. After closely examining the base plate, I realized that one of the outside brackets of the base plate was bent in shipment. A few taps with my framing hammer straightened it right out. Might want to try looking at the plate again. Good Luck, Tim
Old 07-09-2012, 01:00 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimLoon View Post
I had the same problem when I installed the base plate on my CRV. After closely examining the base plate, I realized that one of the outside brackets of the base plate was bent in shipment. A few taps with my framing hammer straightened it right out. Might want to try looking at the plate again. Good Luck, Tim
Wish it could be that easy. I put a square on the ends and their dead on. I'm getting a premonition that this car shouldn't be towed. When I bought it and ordered the parts I have now I was told at that time it would be at 6 weeks before I would see the parts due to the economic downturn. Now I have the parts and have sold my dolly arleady and this happens.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:39 AM   #5

Wow, went back and looked at your measurements and realized that you are off by almost 1 1/4". That's no bend for sure. Good Luck with figuring this out. If I had to use a dolly, I probably would not tow except to go back to a fifth wheel.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One suggestion.....

When I ordered the base plate (Dealer install) for my car, back when I had one, I expected them to order the part from Blue OX.

Turns out it came from an outift (per the tag attached) with a name like Detroit Hitch Supply (A local company).

Find out if that's the case with you, Is there a local hitch supply company that carries this stuff? If so go there, with towed, and .. You can position it before you write the check.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I contacted Demco and sure enough they stepped up to the plate. They were going to send another one right out no charge but I told them first let me disassemble the front end and get another measurement just to be perfectly sure of the distance and they said no problem. It's happened before as I was told but usually when a car has been in an accident (which ours has not) and when put back together things just don't end up the way they were originally. So Wednesday I'll take her apart and get them the measurements so we don't have to go thru this again.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I'm happy to report that I rec'd the custom built plate to fit the car. Demco bent over backwards to take care of the problem for me. I can't say it wasn't with some problems as the 2nd plate they sent was too small as well. Anyway it'll make a good project for over the weekend and hopefully all will go well with the installation. Wish me luck.