Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
Important info for MasterTow dolly owners

Anyone using a tow dolly, expecially MasterTow, need to pull the grease cap and check the tightness of the spindle nut and also check the bearings. I added wheel bearing grease using the "Bearing Buddies" as the owner's manual advised to do, as i've only put about 3,000 miles on it.
Here is what happen to me Sunday, on the way back from Florida going to New Jersey;
I was towing a car on a Mastertow tow dolly (with brakes) behind my class A, northbound on Route 695 by Baltimore Md. We had just gone over the Francis Scott Key bridge when I heard a loud screetching sound behind us. I looked in my side mirror and saw the left tire of the dolly, rolling down the road, strike the center cement divider, than it rolled to the right shoulder. THANK GOD, it didn't hit anyone! We pulled over, removed the towed car and had to have a tow service remove the dolly. It now appears that the bearings heated up and failed, causing the spindle to heat up very hot and the threads to fail and spindle nut to come off!
Don't let the same happen to you; many of your trailers and tow dollies use the same cheap foreign made bearings! Check your bearings regularlly!

Bob & Joan
FMCA # F376406 / Good Sam
Retired Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2009, 10:33 PM   #2
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my second trip back east. I stopped out side of D.C. The way I pulled in I had to take the car off the tow dolly(roadmaster). To my shock, the ramps had cracks in it. Had the ramps welded up and plates where the brakes were. Had two inches cut off the ramps. Keep a eye on the ramps

Glen Taylor Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
I was able to get the tow dolly repaired; had to have a friend with a shop that builds stock cars, weld a new spindle assembly on it. Now I'm going to replace the bearings on the other side too! Checked the ramps, they look ok - thanks!
I may get rid of the dolly now that I bought a Jeep Commander and tow 4 wheels down instead of towing the Honda Accord on the dolly!
Bob & Joan
FMCA # F376406 / Good Sam
Retired Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote