Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:14 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Indiana passing with a tow vehicle

A friend of mine was visiting us here in Indiana. He has a Class A with a tow car. When he left he was on I465 the beltway around Indianapolis. He went into the far left third lane to pass a truck. A cop pulled him over and ticketed him for being in the third lane. He told them that it is illegal for any vehicle pulling another to be in the third lane for any reason. (I have seen signs in various places saying "trucks must use right 2 lanes" but didn't think this applied to MH. They thought they should have been given a warning but the cop said it is pretty much the law every where and they should have know about it. Does anyone know if this is the law with respect to MH towing?

Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2015, 02:20 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Interesting? Will be anxious to hear responses.

How would that be true if you have to be in the far left lane to get on to another hwy????

austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:45 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by austx View Post
Interesting? Will be anxious to hear responses.

How would that be true if you have to be in the far left lane to get on to another hwy????
Doubt that you will encounter the situation if you have to make a left turn.
Old 06-04-2015, 02:58 PM   #4

I have wonder about that there is a lot of that here dfw and Houston . I have done it but stay out of it when I can.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:27 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
He probably could have given him a speeding ticket. I465 beltway has a 55 MPH limit.
Not many trucks on it run less then that.

So if he was passing one.

Eyewitness News exposed a speeding problem on I-465. 55 miles an hour is the posted limit, but it's virtually ignored and police even admit it's hard to enforce. Ultimately, it's also costing all drivers. Speed limits are set for ideal conditions. When the pavement is slick from rain like it was on Sunday, those who set the speed limit say 55 can be too fast, and any faster speed is considered dangerous.
The second you set one tire on I-465, your speed is being monitored. It may not be the police, but it is the state. INDOT has a series of sensors all around I-465 tracking your speed.
Driving 55 mph is something of an anomaly on I-465. Even on a wet Sunday afternoon, the average speed was 65 mph. It doesn't sound that fast, but it can be dangerous.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 03:31 PM   #6

I have pulled all kinds of trailers in many states. As far as I know on any road with 3 lanes any thing towed is prohibited in the left lane. Before you get to a left hand exit there is a sign saying "End of left hand prohibition ". Then you get in that lane until the exit.
Old 06-04-2015, 03:33 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a link to Indiana DOT. Your friend may want call them for a reading on this ticket.

http://www.in.gov/indot/2337.htm

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:05 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Had a similar experience in California many years ago - towing, not in the right hand lane.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 04:57 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
This is a very interesting question!! According to the Indiana Driver's Manual, It says: "Trucks are restricted to the right lane on sections of interstate with two (2) lanes in one (1) direction and restricted to the right two (2) lanes on sections of interstate with three (3) lanes or more in one direction." Chapter 5, pg 65http://www.in.gov/bmv/files/Drivers_..._Chapter_5.pdf

It doesn't define 'truck.' Oregon on the other hand, has a very specific law. ORS 811.325 - Failure to keep camper, trailer or truck in right lane - 2013 Oregon Revised Statutes

In Indiana, some signs say, "Trucks and vehicles with trailers use right two lanes only" but not all of the signs I've seen state it that way.

Another wrinkle to ponder, if you are entering a construction zone, and the signs say, "Trucks use left lane" does that mean a pickup pulling a trailer, an RV, or RV with towed car should shift left?? Often it's because the lanes are shifted and the right shoulder is being used as the right lane. If it's a weight issue, or interference with merging traffic, a large RV should probably move left, but what are the actual rules?

Seems like each RV needs a special handbook defining which rules and definitions pertain to it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:50 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
i will tell you that in my teens I happend across a copy of the Michigan Vehicle Code.. and when I was 20... I happed to be chatting with a city police officer as we were waiting for a tow truck for a disabled car.

Seems there were a few pararagrphas wher he was UNAWARE of the law.

In at least one case he would have written a ticket for something that was 100% legal.

SO, my advice to the friend of the Original Poster (And to all) is RESEARCH.. If you get a ticket.. Make sure it's not for something LEGAL.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Itasca View Post
A friend of mine was visiting us here in Indiana. He has a Class A with a tow car. When he left he was on I465 the beltway around Indianapolis. He went into the far left third lane to pass a truck. A cop pulled him over and ticketed him for being in the third lane. He told them that it is illegal for any vehicle pulling another to be in the third lane for any reason. (I have seen signs in various places saying "trucks must use right 2 lanes" but didn't think this applied to MH. They thought they should have been given a warning but the cop said it is pretty much the law every where and they should have know about it. Does anyone know if this is the law with respect to MH towing?
Well Sir,
Not sure about where we live now in AZ but, in CA, where we lived for 60 years prior to our recent move, in a FOUR lane situation, such as a freeway, the lane you enter the freeway on, is the number 4 lane, then next fastest is the number 3, then number 2 and, the fastest is of course, the number 1 lane.

ANYTHING TOWING ANYTHING, such as trucks(tractor-trailer types) , cars with trailers, "Autos with trailers etc." are: ]
1. Restricted to 55 mph.
2. On the freeway, restricted to the right (numbers 3 and 4) lanes.

On rare occasions, any of those vehicles can move over to the left two lanes or, even the far left one, (Number 1) if, there is a freeway exit on that side of the freeway, (very rare but, does exist) .

Now, we've traveled in many other states and, I can tell you that I've been passed by tractor-trailers, ON MY LEFT, in what I thought was the fastest lane, on a four lane freeway, IN LAS VEGAS, several times. So, it appears that, vehicles towing in NV can run in just about any lane, of a four lane freeway.

Again, not sure about AZ but, I suppose I'd better look it up since we live here now.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:05 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Lanes are numbered from the inside out in each direction. So a vehicle travelling in the lane closest to oncoming traffic is in lane #1. If there are two lanes in each direction, then the next lane to the right is lane #2, and so on depending on the number of lanes.

In many states if a coach towing is on a two lane highway, and needs to overtake a slower vehicle in lane #2, it is okay to use lane #1.

However if it is a three lane or more highway, then again in most states, the coach towing is restricted from using the #1 lane.

Even if it's not the law, it's really a matter of common sense.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:12 AM   #13
Retired USAF

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Sir,
the lane you enter the freeway on, is the number 4 lane, then next fastest is the number 3, then number 2 and, the fastest is of course, the number 1 lane.
Scott
I thought the speed limit was the same for all lanes. :/
2012 Dodge Durango RT
BillJump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:18 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJump View Post
I thought the speed limit was the same for all lanes. :/
In some states, CA comes to mind, the speed limit for vehicles towing is less than the speed limit for those not towing. Also can all vehicles maintain the posted speed limit? I personally like the signs in Texas on the interstates. "The left lane is for passing only".

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow