Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:24 PM   #1

Info on braking system

We just purchased a 30 foot 2013 Thor Ace and we plan to pull a Jeep Wrangler. I would like to know what you think is the best braking and tow bar system there is for us to have put on our A class, thank you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have the Roadmaster Stowmaster tow bar with the Roadmaster EZ baseplate, and the Roadmaster Brakemaster proportional braking system. These systems work very well together. I would also look at the Roadmaster 7 wire to 4 wire flexicoil and the Roadmaster wiring harness. Get the whole system from Roadmaster.

FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:09 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar with a base plate of your choice. Toad brakes are built into the tow bar, wire some diodes into your rear toad lights and you're good to go.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:35 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Best system: Depends on a few things.
Motor home: DP with air brakes,, M&G fits most jeeps. This is an excelent air brake system and since there is no part of it INSIDE the Jeep it is 100% transparant to the driver of the jeep.. It bypasses the booster so you do not have to "Press pedal six times" or whatever some systems say to do.

Air Force one.. You have to press pedal but otherwise it's #2 on my list for a DP tow vehicle.

US-Gear Unified Brake Decelerator is an excellent electric brake system, it provides maximum control over the towed brakes, allowing you to adjust their force, disable them or set them (Activate) manually (Useful under some conditions) same level of control a Semi Driver has over his breakes or more.

Surge Brakes like the ready brake.. Since these are cable operated and the cable is outside the Towed they need to be used often.. Since I move every 1-2 weeks.. This I am considering, If I went all Michigan Winter without towing the Jeep.. I would not consider.

Box in the driver's seat.. Easy to move to a new towed when you get one but ...

Must be installed EVERY time you tow
Easy to forget on a short tow
A mistake can cost you
you have to store them when not towing the car
And ... You have those "Press pedal so many times" instructions.

These woudl be my last choice.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:53 AM   #5

Thank you for the info. Blue Ox and Road Master were the two that we were checking out but Blue Ox had the braking box that was larger than we would like. We still have a few weeks so we have some time to check on things. Thank you again.
Sandy
Old 01-31-2014, 10:41 AM   #6

I went through this last year. I chose Roadmaster toe bar and
Ready Brake for the following reasons.
Toe bar, my opinion roadmaster looked stronger on our Chevy Equinox,
Hook up is quick and easy.
Surge brake is so simple to hook up, takes seconds, you hook up one cable with a quick connect.
Etrailer.com has videos on installation
Again my opinion.
Good luck
Old 01-31-2014, 03:03 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar with a base plate of your choice. Toad brakes are built into the tow bar, wire some diodes into your rear toad lights and you're good to go.
My recommendation too! I think it's the best deal out there!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:51 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
"Surge Brakes like the ready brake.. Since these are cable operated and the cable is outside the Towed they need to be used often.. Since I move every 1-2 weeks.. This I am considering, If I went all Michigan Winter without towing the Jeep.. I would not consider."

I've heard this statement a couple times now and it's always from someone who hasn't used a surge brake system. I'd like to know if this has actually ever been a problem for anyone using the ReadyBrute? The cable sleeve on the ReadyBrute is plastic lined so there actually is no metal to metal contact between the sleeve and the cable. I've owned motorcycles for 40 years that sat for 6 months of the year and never had a cable seize up on me. So I wonder is this is really any concern at all?
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 04:16 PM   #9

I have had my Ready Brake system for a little over a year with no problems. I especially like the Ready Brake because it is so simple and easy to hook up, only takes seconds when hooking up the toe bar.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyt View Post
We just purchased a 30 foot 2013 Thor Ace and we plan to pull a Jeep Wrangler. I would like to know what you think is the best braking and tow bar system there is for us to have put on our A class, thank you.
I use a BlueOx Base Plate and Patriot Brake System. Both work very well. I particular like the BlueOx Baseplate for its simplicity in hook-up and disconnect. Best of all is the lack of menagerie when the pins are removed.
If I were in the market to purchase a new braking system, I think I would look seriously at the M & G System. Once installed it looks like a perfect system but I have not used it or do I know anyone who has.

M & G Engineering - Car Braking Systems: Home Page
Old 02-01-2014, 10:04 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyt View Post
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:33 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I love my M & G brake system!! Did much research and decided on that system due to ease of use each time hooked up or removed. Just one air hose and a breakaway cable is all that is needed. They have a compatibility chart on the web site for the cars it works on. 10,000 miles and works great, and is easy on toad brakes.

Good Luck

Dave
djhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:28 AM   #13

We use a Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar (forerunner to the Sterling All Terrain) and the Roadmaster Brakemaster 9060 braking system. Both have done an excellent job for us. The Tow bar has over 100,000 miles on it. The braking system is new to this motorhome since I didn't want to remove an identical one from our old motorhome.

If you're moving around a lot consider a tow bar like the Sterling All Terrain. It's easier to hook up and unhook when the vehicles are at different heights or at an angle to one another. It also has built in channels for the wiring and safety cables.

We chose the braking system because there's only an air cylinder to install and remove from the Jeep. We don't have a lot of storage room so the less we have to install and remove the better. It's a great truly proportional system. It does take some time to install, so it might not be for everyone.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:37 PM   #14

I use a Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and SMI brake system. I would recommend both based on my experience with them.