Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2008, 02:08 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
While I have been towing a travel trailer for many years, we have just recently made the switch to a class A motorhome. We are needing to tow our 2006 Saturn Vue as a dinghy, and I have not had any first hand experience with tow bars.
I have the opportunity to purchase a used Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar, with all the locks, cables (safety and electrical), extension, bike rack, etc at what I think is a very good price. I have seen a picture of the bar but have not had the chance to personally inspect it as it is over 100 miles away.
Our son lives only about 15 or 20 minutes from the man who is selling the bar and is going to go over to take a look at it and buy it for me if it looks good.
My question is what items on the bar and what general things should he be looking for while checking it out for me? Any information, comments, hints, tips, etc will be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

2004 Winnebago Brave 32v on W20 w/8.1L and Allison
Capt Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2008, 02:08 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
While I have been towing a travel trailer for many years, we have just recently made the switch to a class A motorhome. We are needing to tow our 2006 Saturn Vue as a dinghy, and I have not had any first hand experience with tow bars.
I have the opportunity to purchase a used Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar, with all the locks, cables (safety and electrical), extension, bike rack, etc at what I think is a very good price. I have seen a picture of the bar but have not had the chance to personally inspect it as it is over 100 miles away.
Our son lives only about 15 or 20 minutes from the man who is selling the bar and is going to go over to take a look at it and buy it for me if it looks good.
My question is what items on the bar and what general things should he be looking for while checking it out for me? Any information, comments, hints, tips, etc will be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

Old 06-29-2008, 03:28 AM   #3

Get the serial # and find out how old it is from Blue-ox.Check for general wear or unusual wear.,eaze of operation,do the bars slide easy and evenly?make sure self locks work properly.I bought a bar on ebay from a guy who sold it as is and didnt know anything about it. It wouldnt lock,I went crazy trying to figure it out,called roadmaster and we determined it was a bent shaft,had new arm in a week at my cost.It was still a good value,but question buying items prone to wear and damage from ebay.Blue-ox ,from what everyone says ,is a great company to deal with,so is Roadmaster.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:39 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Obvious signs of damage, bent or excessively worn parts.

Check for too much play or looseness in all pivot points. New or refurbished bars are a bit tight and a bit difficult to move.

Check that the bars lock securely when extended.

The Aladdin is aluminum and the aluminum should be checked closely.

More info HERE AT BLUE OX.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 03:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

After you buy it (assuming no obvious flaws), attend a major RV rally or drop in at the Blue Ox factory in Nebraska and Blue Ox will inspect and overhaul it for you for free.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:32 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the replies and comments on the tow bar. Our son went over to day and looked it over for me. Found it to be in very good shape with the legs straight, the releases worked fine, no wear on the attachment bases, pins all in good shape with no wear evident, no rust, etc. I had talked with the owner earlier and we agreed on a price of $150 for everything..which included the Aladdin tow bar, safety cables, coiled electrig cord for the lights, a 2" receiver extension and the Blue Ox 3 bicycle rack that fits on the extension to carry the bikes between the toad and the motorhome.
All in all, I think I got a pretty good deal, even if I had to replace a part or two.

Now, I just have to get some Blue Ox base plates for our 2006 Saturn Vue and I'll be ready to roll. ( I bought a Blue Ox Apollo brake system that was virtually unused a few weeks ago from a guy who had sold his HR Admiral and didn't need it anymore...AND I know there are better brake systems out there but the price was right so I am going to try it for a bit).

Thanks again for the help.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:47 AM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">$150 for everything.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A bargain!

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:13 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">$150 for everything.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A bargain! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll say. Where does this guy live again?

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote