Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-03-2015, 07:41 AM   #1

Installing a TPMS Sensor on an ACME EZE Tow Dolly

I wanted to install TPMS sensors on my dolly but was fearful that the high pressure valve stem that came with the dolly would flex, fatigue and break due to the weight on the end of the valve stem coupled with the higher RPM the smaller tires must rotate. Not something I wanted to happen on the highway and the loss if tire pressure would be sudden. I tried making a brace for the valve stem, which seemed to work OK but it wasn't a long term solution since some local towing showed the braces were loosening up.

I first spoke with Innovative Balancing, who make the dynabeads that come with the newer ACME dolly and are used to balance the tires. They recommended adding 1/2 oz of additional beads to compensate for the sensor just be safe. In the following photo you can see that you simply remove the filtered core of the valve stem and slowly add the beads. These are available in kits for motorcycles so I bought 2 oz to do the two tires on my dolly and my spare.

With the tire deflated, you can simply put the tire on a piece of plywood and step on the tire near the valve stem, that will easily break it free from the rim. Once you break the bead, you can hold the tire down and carefully cut out the rubber valve stem. Then I installed a 416 metal valve stem from Blackjack Tire (Link to Metal Valve Stem) and snugged it in place. (This was the second metal valve stem I bought and these fit very nice.) Once the metal valve stem is in place, remove the valve core that comes with the valve stem and install the original filtered core seen in the above photo that came with the dolly (or if it is an older tire, filtered cores are easily obtained at a tire shop). Once installed, re-inflate the tire and mount on the dolly. With the exception of the spare, where I dropped the metal valve stem into the tire, it took less than five minutes per tire to swap out the valve stem in my basement. Here is the final installation.

Haven't road tested yet with the sensor in place but this should provide a long term worry free solution to adding a TPMS sensor to the dolly. Hope someone finds the information useful.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2015, 10:56 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I like it, and will remember this if I chose to go with a dolly.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:49 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nice job!

Is the red tire valve cap the TPMS sender? Thought the transmitters were bigger

Thanks for sharing
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:18 AM   #4

No, that's the original cap that comes with the dolly. I don't have the sensor on right now because we are not taking our next trip for a month so I don't run down the battery in the sensor.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:16 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Nice mod indeed. Keep us posted .
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:43 PM   #6

I took my tires down to the local tire shop to have metal valve stems installed and he told me that the high pressure valve stems that came with the dolly were brass all the way through and did not need to be replaced. He assured me that there would be no problem. I doubt he would recommend that if he wasn't fairly certain. Do you think metal stems are absolutely necessary?
Old 07-16-2015, 06:53 PM   #7

I knew the metal goes through but it still will flex and the dolly tire spins much faster than the coach tires. Not worth the risk in my opinion. I also contacted ACME and they weren't comfortable installing the sensors on the high pressure stems.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:54 PM   #8

Thanks

Tags
dolly, install, tow, tow dolly