Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2010, 01:02 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
Installing M & G System

I just ordered this for my 2007 Avalanche and since there are no installers anywhere near me I am going to install it myself. I am pretty mechanically inclined but wanted to know if anyone has installed their own and if there is anything I should watch out for. I read where they want you to drive for 2 miles without using the front brakes to see if they are dragging. This is not going to be easy where I am. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
At the time I lived about 45 minutes from M&G and opted to have them install the system on our Tacoma. In hindsight I think I could have easily installed the syste. I watched them install and they pointed out the few "gotchas". First, there is not enough clearance for the M&G cylinder. If you checked with them and they blessed the vehicle then you are ok. There is also the possibility of the "pushrod" being a little too long and partially applying the brakes. If you involved M&G during the purchase process you are probably ok. I think this problem is the result of someone buying a used unit for another vehicle. Each pushrod is calibrated for a specific vehicle.

In the 4+ years of use the only prolem I had was one of the air lines worked its way loose from the connector between the coach and vehicle. I had installed a tattle tail light which mounted on the front of the vehicle. When I apply the coach brakes the light will illuminate and I can see it in the rear view camera. You can purchase an air pressure switch from M&G or other sources and install it just before the M&G cylinder. When you apply the brakes the air pressure closes the switch and closes the electrical portion of the switch. A cheap LED side marker light worked well in my case and I ran 12v thru a fuse to the light.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
I did check with them and ther are no fit issues, and it is a new unit that I bought from M&G. I Like the light idea I had one with my Brake Buddy. Perhaps I will cut into the brake light wire and install a light.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
The brake light wire on the vehicle will not work, as the switch is on the pedal arm. The pedal does not move while using the M&G system.
Parkerrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkerrs View Post
The brake light wire on the vehicle will not work, as the switch is on the pedal arm. The pedal does not move while using the M&G system.
Thanks after I posted it I realized that all it would tell me is that I activated the brake lights on the coach.