Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:28 AM   #1

Installing Mopar harness on 2014 Jeep Wrangler

I decided to install my Mopar harness today and this is what I found. This is a picture of the outer firewall area where the harness is suppose to come out through. I thought for a minute maybe Jeep moved the harness from inside the firewall to outside and that I could just hook the Mopar one here but that is not the case as all the connectors are different. What am I missing here, is 2014 a different setup altogether from previous years?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mopar.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	57316  

Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #2

Not unusual for the manufacturer to do " running production changes" to wiring and other parts on a vehicle. Take the harness part number and your vehicle production date ; off the door sticker, " MDH ( Month Day Hour ) will give the parts department the info they need to get you the correct parts.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #3

the connector is tucked under the glove compartment firewall interior area.... go have a look.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
the connector is tucked under the glove compartment firewall interior area.... go have a look.
The picture I took is the firewall area right where the hole is to be drilled for the cable to come out through. The installation instructions do not mention anything about removing the big steel bracket or where to relocate all the wiring that is in the way. Is there anyone here on the forum that encountered this problem?
Old 03-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #5

on the 2013 it doesnt have that bracket, just the 2 screws that uses plastic pads to keep the foil padding in place... what is that brackets' purpose? Is it just to hold that foil padding in place, if yes you can delete the bracket and just cut out some plastic and use it to keep the padding in place like this.... I remember having to cut the padding to put the cable through it...

Old 03-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
on the 2013 it doesnt have that bracket, just the 2 screws that uses plastic pads to keep the foil padding in place... what is that brackets' purpose? Is it just to hold that foil padding in place, if yes you can delete the bracket and just cut out some plastic and use it to keep the padding in place like this.... I remember having to cut the padding to put the cable through it...

Ferdinand, my setup looks entirely different from yours. I had the glove box out and there are no wiring harnesses in that vicinity at all. I am pretty sure now that the harnesses were moved outside the firewall as my picture shows and the connectors have changed. The steel bracket holds the wiring connectors in place.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
corvettec3, I just when and looked I put my cable through just to the outside of the bracket. The connectors are not behind the glove box they or more down and to the outside. I will see what kind of pictures I can get without pulling the fender.
Redridge, your picture is of the drivers side showing the brake cable going through the fire wall.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:05 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pictures

corvettec3, here are a couple of pictures I also send you a PM.
You can see the cable going through the firewall just to the outside of the bracket holding the connectors. I removed the bracket to drill the hole then put it back.
If I remember right on the inside there are two connectors the one you need is the one in the back the hardest to get to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00450.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	57356   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00455.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	57357  

Old 03-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
corvettec3, here are a couple of pictures I also send you a PM.
You can see the cable going through the firewall just to the outside of the bracket holding the connectors. I removed the bracket to drill the hole then put it back.
If I remember right on the inside there are two connectors the one you need is the one in the back the hardest to get to.
Thank you Grant. I now see where you drilled the hole and I now see the correct connector. I was looking for the connector under the dash area by your feet when in actual fact it is on the right side kick panel. I see there are two of them there, one on top of the other so I assume it is the top one which is the most difficult to get to. Thanks again, I appreciate it.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvettec3 View Post
Ferdinand, my setup looks entirely different from yours. I had the glove box out and there are no wiring harnesses in that vicinity at all. I am pretty sure now that the harnesses were moved outside the firewall as my picture shows and the connectors have changed. The steel bracket holds the wiring connectors in place.

That is the drivers side, I was just showing you the plastic tabs I used to keep the padding in... go have a look again. The cable is more to the right side wall of the glove compartment... and it is pretty high up. I cant see them re-arranging the whole cabling... its a pretty major harness.

edit... nevermind, I see you found it GL.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:50 AM   #11
One of the Hoots

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you Grant. I now see where you drilled the hole and I now see the correct connector. I was looking for the connector under the dash area by your feet when in actual fact it is on the right side kick panel. I see there are two of them there, one on top of the other so I assume it is the top one which is the most difficult to get to. Thanks again, I appreciate it.
corvettec3 & grtharris ... thanks for posting this information as I am about a week or so away from installing this harness on my new 2014 Rubicon. Any additional pictures or tips that you all can post will be appreciated.

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
FLSteve, make sure you have the right size hole saw. My instructions called out the wrong size hole saw which made for a bit of a problem trying to re-drill the hole.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
FLSteve, make sure you have the right size hole saw. My instructions called out the wrong size hole saw which made for a bit of a problem trying to re-drill the hole.
Grant, my instructions call for a 1 1/8" hole. Is that incorrect?
Old 03-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Grant, my instructions call for a 1 1/8" hole. Is that incorrect?
I just compared the hole saw size to the size of the mopar grommet....

Tags
install