Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-02-2014, 09:28 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
corvettec3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kentville, NS
Posts: 425
Installing Mopar harness on 2014 Jeep Wrangler

I decided to install my Mopar harness today and this is what I found. This is a picture of the outer firewall area where the harness is suppose to come out through. I thought for a minute maybe Jeep moved the harness from inside the firewall to outside and that I could just hook the Mopar one here but that is not the case as all the connectors are different. What am I missing here, is 2014 a different setup altogether from previous years?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mopar.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	57316  
__________________

__________________
_______________________________________
Binnie, Wanda & Yasper (Labradoodle)
1999 Winnebago Chieftain 35U F53 Chassis V10
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Skip426's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Powell River, B.C.
Posts: 14,971
Not unusual for the manufacturer to do " running production changes" to wiring and other parts on a vehicle. Take the harness part number and your vehicle production date ; off the door sticker, " MDH ( Month Day Hour ) will give the parts department the info they need to get you the correct parts.
__________________

__________________
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Redridge's Avatar


 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,557
the connector is tucked under the glove compartment firewall interior area.... go have a look.
__________________
Ferdinand,
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 (Melody), Folkstone
2013 Jeep Rubicon, Ready Brute Elite & Currie Ent Baseplate
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
corvettec3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kentville, NS
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
the connector is tucked under the glove compartment firewall interior area.... go have a look.
The picture I took is the firewall area right where the hole is to be drilled for the cable to come out through. The installation instructions do not mention anything about removing the big steel bracket or where to relocate all the wiring that is in the way. Is there anyone here on the forum that encountered this problem?
__________________
_______________________________________
Binnie, Wanda & Yasper (Labradoodle)
1999 Winnebago Chieftain 35U F53 Chassis V10
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Redridge's Avatar


 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,557
on the 2013 it doesnt have that bracket, just the 2 screws that uses plastic pads to keep the foil padding in place... what is that brackets' purpose? Is it just to hold that foil padding in place, if yes you can delete the bracket and just cut out some plastic and use it to keep the padding in place like this.... I remember having to cut the padding to put the cable through it...

__________________
Ferdinand,
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 (Melody), Folkstone
2013 Jeep Rubicon, Ready Brute Elite & Currie Ent Baseplate
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
corvettec3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kentville, NS
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
on the 2013 it doesnt have that bracket, just the 2 screws that uses plastic pads to keep the foil padding in place... what is that brackets' purpose? Is it just to hold that foil padding in place, if yes you can delete the bracket and just cut out some plastic and use it to keep the padding in place like this.... I remember having to cut the padding to put the cable through it...

Ferdinand, my setup looks entirely different from yours. I had the glove box out and there are no wiring harnesses in that vicinity at all. I am pretty sure now that the harnesses were moved outside the firewall as my picture shows and the connectors have changed. The steel bracket holds the wiring connectors in place.
__________________
_______________________________________
Binnie, Wanda & Yasper (Labradoodle)
1999 Winnebago Chieftain 35U F53 Chassis V10
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
grtharris's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Skiatook, OK
Posts: 2,292
corvettec3, I just when and looked I put my cable through just to the outside of the bracket. The connectors are not behind the glove box they or more down and to the outside. I will see what kind of pictures I can get without pulling the fender.
Redridge, your picture is of the drivers side showing the brake cable going through the fire wall.
__________________
Grant & Pat
2014 Adventurer 35P
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:05 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
grtharris's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Skiatook, OK
Posts: 2,292
Pictures

corvettec3, here are a couple of pictures I also send you a PM.
You can see the cable going through the firewall just to the outside of the bracket holding the connectors. I removed the bracket to drill the hole then put it back.
If I remember right on the inside there are two connectors the one you need is the one in the back the hardest to get to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00450.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	57356   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00455.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	57357  

__________________
Grant & Pat
2014 Adventurer 35P
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
corvettec3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kentville, NS
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
corvettec3, here are a couple of pictures I also send you a PM.
You can see the cable going through the firewall just to the outside of the bracket holding the connectors. I removed the bracket to drill the hole then put it back.
If I remember right on the inside there are two connectors the one you need is the one in the back the hardest to get to.
Thank you Grant. I now see where you drilled the hole and I now see the correct connector. I was looking for the connector under the dash area by your feet when in actual fact it is on the right side kick panel. I see there are two of them there, one on top of the other so I assume it is the top one which is the most difficult to get to. Thanks again, I appreciate it.
__________________
_______________________________________
Binnie, Wanda & Yasper (Labradoodle)
1999 Winnebago Chieftain 35U F53 Chassis V10
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:03 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Redridge's Avatar


 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvettec3 View Post
Ferdinand, my setup looks entirely different from yours. I had the glove box out and there are no wiring harnesses in that vicinity at all. I am pretty sure now that the harnesses were moved outside the firewall as my picture shows and the connectors have changed. The steel bracket holds the wiring connectors in place.

That is the drivers side, I was just showing you the plastic tabs I used to keep the padding in... go have a look again. The cable is more to the right side wall of the glove compartment... and it is pretty high up. I cant see them re-arranging the whole cabling... its a pretty major harness.

edit... nevermind, I see you found it GL.
__________________
Ferdinand,
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 (Melody), Folkstone
2013 Jeep Rubicon, Ready Brute Elite & Currie Ent Baseplate
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:50 AM   #11
One of the Hoots
 
FLSteve's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvettec3 View Post
Thank you Grant. I now see where you drilled the hole and I now see the correct connector. I was looking for the connector under the dash area by your feet when in actual fact it is on the right side kick panel. I see there are two of them there, one on top of the other so I assume it is the top one which is the most difficult to get to. Thanks again, I appreciate it.
corvettec3 & grtharris ... thanks for posting this information as I am about a week or so away from installing this harness on my new 2014 Rubicon. Any additional pictures or tips that you all can post will be appreciated.

Steve
__________________
Steve & Lisa
2015 Mountain Aire 4553
2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon & 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
grtharris's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Skiatook, OK
Posts: 2,292
FLSteve, make sure you have the right size hole saw. My instructions called out the wrong size hole saw which made for a bit of a problem trying to re-drill the hole.
__________________
Grant & Pat
2014 Adventurer 35P
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:28 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
corvettec3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kentville, NS
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
FLSteve, make sure you have the right size hole saw. My instructions called out the wrong size hole saw which made for a bit of a problem trying to re-drill the hole.
Grant, my instructions call for a 1 1/8" hole. Is that incorrect?
__________________
_______________________________________
Binnie, Wanda & Yasper (Labradoodle)
1999 Winnebago Chieftain 35U F53 Chassis V10
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Redridge's Avatar


 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvettec3 View Post
Grant, my instructions call for a 1 1/8" hole. Is that incorrect?
I just compared the hole saw size to the size of the mopar grommet....
__________________

__________________
Ferdinand,
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 (Melody), Folkstone
2013 Jeep Rubicon, Ready Brute Elite & Currie Ent Baseplate
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
install



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tow lights on 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee? TXDrifters Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 15 07-14-2014 05:05 PM
Brake Buddy Stealth and 2012 Jeep Wrangler grtharris Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 4 06-02-2014 12:30 PM
Blu Ox Base Plate & 2014 Jeep Wrangler Velroc Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 6 02-19-2014 10:18 AM
2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Questions jimfryar Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 6 02-17-2014 11:34 PM
Jeep Wrangler Towing Harness corvettec3 Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 19 12-12-2013 10:39 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.