Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:03 PM   #1

Intermittent bad connection at yellow wire pin

I have an intermittent bad connection at the Left Turn and Stop pin on the yellow wire. This is a new coiled electrical cord and the plug is a little loose in the RV receptacle. The connection can be corrected by putting force on the plug from right to left. All the screws/wires in the plug on both ends are tight as well as the receptacles on the RV and toad. I wrapped the plug with electrical tape which made it tighter but still a bad connection unless right to left force is applied.

I want to try to spread the legs of the pin with a screw driver to make a tighter connection. If the RV engine is turned completely off is there any danger of getting shocked when using the screw driver? Or, do I need to disconnect the chassis battery first?

Thanks for your help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2017, 03:14 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Cheryl, you might want to try cleaning the contacts with a contact cleaner & lubricant such as the Radio Shack item below. Spray both male and female connectors with it and then plug and unplug the cable several times to clean the contacts. It's good to spray the contacts regularly with this to prevent corrosion. Be sure to get a product that includes the lubricant!

https://www.radioshack.com/products/...-and-lubricant

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:08 PM   #3
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You will NOT get shocked from 12 volts. With the lights off there won't be any power there anyway. Yes try to tighten them if possible. Give them a good shot of WD40 often. Keep the umbilical out of the weather when not in use.

You may have to take the connector apart because it could be a simple loose screw inside. There is always a chance of blowing a fuse if you have a charge line that is active but not likely and as I said, you will not get shocked.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Bisson View Post
I want to try to spread the legs of the pin with a screw driver to make a tighter connection. If the RV engine is turned completely off is there any danger of getting shocked when using the screw driver? Or, do I need to disconnect the chassis battery first?

Thanks for your help.
No danger of getting shocked from 12 VDC. Might spark, blow a fuse and scare you but it won't shock you. However, some of those pins can break pretty easy if you try to spread them. Be gentle.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:29 PM   #5

I have used a small screwdriver to spread the pins before. It doesn't take much.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:59 PM   #6

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I will try them all.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Bisson View Post
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I will try them all.
While not overly common, it is somewhat common for those pins to collapse a bit over time and, loose contact with the female side of the plug. I had the same exact problem when wiring a friends Jeep for towing. Super long story short, I had to "expand" the two halves of three of those pins to get the lights to work correctly. As has been stated, just take your time and expand them a little at a time, 'till you get good lighting, consistently. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:44 AM   #8

UPDATE: Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Spreading the yellow wire pin with a small screwdriver worked. So far, after four connections/disconnections the lights/blinkers continue to work on the toad.