Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Invisi Brake

I need a little info. Has anyone used the Invisi Brake on their tow and if so how do they like it. Does it work well or would a Brakebuddy or one of the other brake systems be better. I like the idea of not having to take the brake system out of the car each time you want to use it and then put it back in. Also the Invisi charges your battery while you drive.
Thanks for the info.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have used the Invsibrake for two years. Never a problem as we used the system on two different MH. The installation is somewhat complicated if one is not mechanically adapt. So, we had ours installed professionally. The only trick is, be sure the adjustment to the brake pedal is absolutely correct, not to tight, as the brakes will slightly depressed on your toad. I had to play with this adjustment combined with the vacuum pressure really not a big deal. Once installed we have not touched it for years also keeps the battery charged!

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #3

We have the Invisibrake in our 2010 Toyota Corolla and are pleased with it. The system has worked without problems during the about 3,000 miles we've towed so far. Also, we've have had no problems with IB in daily driving of the Corolla.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:12 PM   #4

Invisibrake

I did some research last spring and decided to purchase the Invisibrake from Camping World as they offered installation as well. I made a four hour drive to Wood Village Oregon to have the Invisibrake installed. After an all day job they hooked the tow veh to my MH and could not get it to work. Camping world finally said the problem was with my tow vehicle and had nothing to do with what they did. I left (very angry) with the Invisibrake installed but not working . I returned home to have my tow veh checked at the local dealership who found nothing wrong with the vehicle itself. After several problems with the brake lights staying on and wearing the battery down I called back to the service manager at Camping World who was very interested in helping me. I returned to have the tow veh checked and camping world found the cable going to the brake pedal was binding at two different places which was causing my brake lights to stay on. They also found that they had not wired the Invisibrake properly for the year and make of my vehicle. Once corrected I have had no problems with the Invisibrake at all. I still get very upset every time I get a camping world magazine though ! I would recommend the Invisibrake .
Old 03-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #5

I would also recommend the Invisi Brake, we had one installed at Camping World in Madison Wi. and they also had difficulty getting the components installed properly. After 2 visits and several discussions with the service dept it worked properly. We towed our Grand Cherokee over 10,000 on our Alaska trip and it worked great, we are currently on another 3,000 trip and the brake is working great. Invisi Brake also has a very helpful tech dept if you have any questions 800 669 9690
Old 03-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I like the Invisibrake; I didn't like the Camping World installation.

If your tow has either a manual or electric brake pedal adjustment, make damn sure they install with the pedal extended to the outermost position, then adjust accordingly (they didn't, DW gets in and unknowingly adjusts the pedals out and comes back to the driveway...and, well, I was throwing Omaha snow on the front brake pads to put the flames out).

That said, I was new, we didn't have coach yet, so I hadn't read the full instructions. Never thought to tell her (nor did the dealership tell us to beware or of adjustments). My fault in part

Think it a good product.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I had a local hitch & tow shop install the Invisabrake on our 94 Honda Accord. It worked fine as installed. Fine until a rain storm in Michigan when we stopped for the evening at a campground that I had to back into. I disconnected the car and drove to the site leaving my wife with the car. After a bit I wondered where she was. She drove up later and said the Invisabrake unit was activating each time she stepped on the brake peddle even with the car disconnected from the MH. The next morning we readied to pull out and it started doing the same thing, it was still raining. As soon as the brakes were applied, the unit out pit full force on the brakes even disconnected. It's a similar action to pulling the brake away pin. What I did was disconnect the unit for the remainder of our trip.

Later I called Roadmaster to ask what might have caused this issue. The guy I talked to was helpful and suggested that the installer might have not sealed the tail light diodes and they were getting wet then activating the unit. That sounded reasonable to me. I checked the diodes and they were dry. I do believe it had something to do with the rain, but not sure where it's activating the circuit. I thought it might be the plug on the car, so I sprayed some WD40 into it.

Our last trip I used the Unit again and it worked fine. No rain. I do like the fact that you don't have untying to put in and take out. It does keep the battery charged and that has never been an issue. When we are not towing, I unplug the unit just in case. There are two plastic connectors, I unplug the smaller one.

Guess what, it rained were at home yesterday and I had disconnected the unit during the day to be safe. It's easy to do I'm not sure how to resolve the problem, but for now I use it when towing and unplug it when not.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I installed one on my 2012 Edge. It is a bit time consuming and the box takes up more room that you might expect. The charging system works by tapping off current from your MH running lights which must be on or the charging does not work. The brake is effective but you must be sure you don't get feedback through your lights by using diodes if necessary.

If I was starting from scratch I would buy the "ready brute ??". It has the tow bar and surge brake built in. It too pulls the pedal down but is mechanical. No running down your battery or worrying about any diodes either. I like the surge brake because it is probably more proportional. It has a break-away option as well.

Once the invisibrake is installed and tweaked you don't need to remember to turn it on etc, just pump your brakes to remove any remaining boost in the system.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hmmm - I was planning on getting the Invisibrake plus everything else for my tow vehicle installed while we was doing our PDI and overnight test camp. I may have to rethink this now.
reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:29 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Camping World may be a good place to buy stuff that is on sale. But I would not let them touch my coach or toad.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
YC1' I had our Invibrake installed through a dealership. Our system does not require the coaches running lights to be on to charge the toad battery? Rubenray, I would not hesitate to have your dealer install the system. If there is a problem you will know before leaving. Mast RIVA techs can accomplish this install w/o any problems. As mentioned the only fine tuning is with the brake pedal adjustment. I have never in two years disconnected anything. We live in the panhandle of Fl with plenty of tropical systems, lots of rain, again never an issue if the system is installed per Roadmaster's instructions. You will like the system.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #12
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Claybox you gave me an idea on the charge line. I will re-visit the installation and may be able to connect the wire to the battery charge line instead. That said I run with my lights on most of the time anyway.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake